• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confused about how beef is graded? Here is Canada's answer.

Anna N

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Anybody care to hazard a guess on what "slightly abundant" marbling might mean? (Photo from the link.)

Here is a picture of slightly abundant marbling that I found from google:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-6JTTt_LTAhXFdSYKHV8bBdkQFghGMAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnmyrm.nmsu.edu%2Fdocuments%2Fmarbling-descriptions-and-illustrations.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEre6krZco92EaCkM46rqQzZE-YwQ

However I can't help but notice Grocery Gateway sliced their steak with a serrated knife.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

47 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Here is a picture of slightly abundant marbling that I found from google:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-6JTTt_LTAhXFdSYKHV8bBdkQFghGMAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnmyrm.nmsu.edu%2Fdocuments%2Fmarbling-descriptions-and-illustrations.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEre6krZco92EaCkM46rqQzZE-YwQ

However I can't help but notice Grocery Gateway sliced their steak with a serrated knife.

Thanks for the link. It is now slightly abundantly clear to me. 

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Apparently, more than 97% of graded Canadian beef carcasses score as one of the "A" grades. Sounds like a bit of a low bar.

Luckily, the vague adjectives they use to categorize the various A-grades is of zero help. But that shouldn't matter so long as you simply assume that "small" marbling is better than "slight," which is better than "trace." LOOK AT THAT SMALL MARBLING! IT'S SO SMALL! I MUST HAVE IT!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

Apparently, more than 97% of graded Canadian beef carcasses score as one of the "A" grades. Sounds like a bit of a low bar.

Luckily, the vague adjectives they use to categorize the various A-grades is of zero help. But that shouldn't matter so long as you simply assume that "small" marbling is better than "slight," which is better than "trace." LOOK AT THAT SMALL MARBLING! IT'S SO SMALL! I MUST HAVE IT!

I trust my eyes much more than the government grade. I know a good case of marbling when I see it.  Fortunately more people seem to be afraid of fat and therefore when they sort through the meat they leave behind the very cuts I want!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

It's stopping the butcher from trimming it within an inch of it's life!

I find some of the older guys get a nice misty look in their eye when you ask them to cut you a piece and 'for the love of god - leave the fat on'.

• Like 6

On 5/15/2017 at 3:33 PM, btbyrd said:

Grading is optional in Canada and the US.  lower quality animals are not graded, and tend to get used for process stuff, as opposed to steaks, roasts, or (good quality) hamburger.  people buying those animals know what they're getting before they whack 'em with a hammer, grading is an unnecessary expense.

Your source says ' In 2012, the Canada A, AA and AAA grades together represented 97.1% of all graded beef from fed slaughter cattle in Canada.'.  That's a very different statement from 97% of graded beefs.  Cows sent to the feed lot should be in good shape before they get fed, and feeding them is going to improve them. 

'D' grades represent 13% of all graded carcasses, and are older animals, mostly cows.  (As opposed to steers, heifers, or bulls, not pigs...) So the Canadians do grade some lower quality animals.