• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your sea salt may contain microplastic bits

Toliver

The article:

"Sullied seasoning: Sea salts come with a dash of microplastics"

When plastic garbage makes its way to the sea, it eventually breaks down into tiny fragments that return to us in salty seasonings, Malaysian researchers report in Scientific Reports.

In a survey of 16 sea salts from eight countries, researchers found microplastic particles lurking in all but one. In total, the researchers collected 72 particles from the salts and used micro-Raman spectroscopy to identify their components, which were mainly plastic polymers and pigments.

The article also mentions sea creatures taking in the micro-particles and then humans consuming those sea creatures. 

They say this poses no health risk since the level of contamination is so low, but still, the thought of consuming plastic with my sea salt sort of skeeves me out.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Everything we eat, drink and breath may, and probably does, contain something we'd rather it didn't. The dirty fingerprints of the planet's dominant species are pretty much everywhere and on everything. That's not to say it's wrong to be concerned regarding what we put into our bodies, it's just that there's no realistic way around it at this point. Since eating, drinking and breathing are pretty much non-optional conventions, I don't let it worry me too much unless it's a major thing. Things like specific warnings and recalls due to health-endangering problems.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.