• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Ice Cream Machine - "Water Ice" or Italian Ice

ltjazz

Hey all,

I've made thicker and creamier sorbets with 25% to 35% sugar strained fruit purees and sugar, syrups, and other stabilizers that have worked well. However, because it's so much fruit and little to no water it can be an expensive project.

I am trying to make "Water Ice" or "Italian Ice" in my home ice cream machine. Think of textures similar to Rita's Water Ice, Court Pastry Shop, or Miko's in Chicago. It eats much lighter than a sorbet but isn't really icy, but it's also not thick like sorbet. Ritas uses "flavoring" and sugar, while the other two use fruit juice. I'm thinking of thinning the strained fruit juice with water and adding a stabilizer, but I'm having trouble getting this in my home ice cream machine without it freezing solid like granita.

Can anyone suggest a way to use real fruit juice, water, and a combination and concentration of stabilizers to get a looser, frozen fruit dessert that isn't icy?

I didn't exactly understand your direction, as of course fruits are mainly water :-) At summer i almost don't bother with "cooking a sorbet" as i usually did in the past with pectin or combo of stabilizer+something else "startchy" like tapioca meltadoxterin.. I just juice whatever i have, blendered well with some orange juice and a bit of sugar, a drop of orange flower extract ( or rose water ) and put it just like that in the machine, at some point, quite early and should be "monitored carfully" :-) It gets to an excellent runny "fruit ice" water that is really good, and i think it is close to what you are looking for, but cannot be sure of course, worth experimenting. If churned too much, and in a very good home machine, it gets almost to a more "frothier" sherbet/ice cream consistency, good of course only out of machine, later in home freeze degrees it has of course zero chance to remain something reasonable other then a block of icy fruit..

Have to remark that i do use for that matter a very good home machine ( musso lussino 4080 ), so should be taken into consideration, it has it's own abilities and spinning rate etc... It's also Italian made, so i guess the final product can hold the title "italian ice" "-)    

Edited by oferl (log)

Lisa, I actually had not considered monitoring the brix. You think a brix around 26 will get me closer to water-ice consistency without turning into a solid block of ice?

oferl, that runny "fruit ice" water you mentioned is exactly what I want. It can be achieved fresh out of the machine at a certain point, but put it in the freezer and it turns to solid ice. I'm looking for a way to maintain something close to that texture with a stabilizer if possible.

You know about Miko's!

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

3 hours ago, ltjazz said:

Lisa, I actually had not considered monitoring the brix. You think a brix around 26 will get me closer to water-ice consistency without turning into a solid block of ice?

oferl, that runny "fruit ice" water you mentioned is exactly what I want. It can be achieved fresh out of the machine at a certain point, but put it in the freezer and it turns to solid ice. I'm looking for a way to maintain something close to that texture with a stabilizer if possible.

There's only so much that stabilizer can do.  If you don't have enough sugar, it's going to freeze harder. 

• Like 2