• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

oferl

oferl

I didn't exactly understand your direction, as of course fruits are mainly water :-) At summer i almost don't bother with "cooking a sorbet" as i usually did in the past with pectin or combo of stabilizer+something else "startchy" like tapioca meltadoxterin.. I just juice whatever i have, blendered well with some orange juice and a bit of sugar, a drop of orange flower extract ( or rose water ) and put it just like that in the machine, at some point, quite early and should be "monitored carfully" :-) It gets to an excellent runny "fruit ice" water that is really good, and i think it is close to what you are looking for, but cannot be sure of course, worth experimenting. If churned too much, and in a very good home machine, it gets almost to a more "frothier" sherbet/ice cream consistency, good of course only out of machine, later in home freeze degrees it has of course zero chance to remain something reasonable other then a block of icy fruit..

Have to remark that i do use for that matter a very good home machine ( musso lussino 4080 ), so should be taken into consideration, it has it's own abilities and spinning rate etc... It's also Italian made, so i guess the final product can hold the title "italian ice" "-)    

oferl

oferl

I didn't exactly understand your direction, as of course fruits are mainly water :-) At summer i almost don't bother with "cooking a sorbet" as i usually did in the past with pectin or combo of stabilizer+something else "startchy" like tapioca 

meltadoxterin.. I just juice whatever i have, blendered well with some orange juice and a bit of sugar, a drop of orange flower extract ( or rose water ) and put it just like that in the machine, at some point, quite early and should be "monitored carfully" :-) It gets to an excellent runny "fruit ice" water that is really good, and i think it is close to what you are looking for, but cannot be sure of course, worth experimenting. If churned too much, and in a very good home machine, it gets almost

to a mre "frothier" sherbet/ice cream consistency, good of course only out of machine, later in home freeze degrees it has of course zero chance to remain something reasonable other then a block of icy fruit..

Have to remark that i do use for that matter a very good home machine ( musso lussino 4080 ), so should be taken into consideration, it has it's own abilities and spinning rate etc... It's also Italian made, so i guess the final product can hold the title "italian ice" "-)