• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Multi layered repeated baking cake (bebinka)

Vijay

As I was searching for a dessert to be prepared for the coming Sunday youth program, came across this one variety cake popularly known as Bebinka in Goa state of India. 

https://youtu.be/e7jE0rEGVDo

Instead of eggs I have an alternate cake mix.

I want to scale up the recipe to 10 trays, each of which weigh 2 kg batter. 

Could please guide me how to proceed forward. Tomorrow I am going to make a trail run and will post the pictures.

Are there any previous threads exists which discuss similar concept.

This is similar to the Indonesian "thousand layer cake" or Spekok: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spekkoek I'm pretty sure there's a thread about this on eGullet somewhere. But your main question seems to be how to scale up, and by a huge margin. Hopefully someone will be able to help you with that. With the constant need to remove the trays from the oven to keep adding more and more batter, I'm not sure this cake is a good candidate for what you want to do.

Here is one link: https://forums.egullet.org/topic/100426-lapis-legit-spekuk-spekkoek/#comment-1528296  There are others.

Edited by cakewalk
Add link (log)

@Vijay, it seems there are two issues here: first, that you're planning to go off the YouTube video but use an alternate recipe that doesn't use eggs.  I hope you're testing the intended recipe on its original scale today!  There's been a lot of discussion here over the years about people who 'test' a recipe but make numerous substitutions, then comment that it was 'terrible'. It's an unfair treatment of the original recipe, and you can't afford to make that sort of mistake with your clientele.

The second issue is how to scale up the recipe in question.  You'll probably have the best chance of getting helpful information here if you list the ingredient quantities and recommended pan in the recipe you intend to use, along with the dimensions of the pans you want to use. I found several web pages that discuss how to scale up a baking recipe. They all note that you need to have approximately the same thickness of the batter in the pan as the original, so the dimensions of the pan in the original recipe and the trays you intend to use are important information in order to do the calculation. "2kg of batter" can fit into a great variety of pan shapes and sizes, and each pan will give different results. Here are a couple of discussions that may be useful to you for the geometry:

Actually, there may be a third issue: whether a multi-layered, repeat-baked cake recipe will behave differently in a scaled-up production than in a standard-sized production.  I would think that if you kept each layer the same size as the original layer size that the baking times and temperatures would be the same, but I have no experience with this sort of baking.

The topic that @cakewalk lists above is well worth exploring for its recipe and its links (although a couple of the links are out of date).

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

it seems there are two issues here: first, that you're planning to go off the YouTube video but use an alternate recipe that doesn't use eggs

Our bakery production does eggless cakes  using a substitute called "biocon cake mix" . And they were successful in doing such recipes which replace eggs with this cake mix. 

"something new" is the factor that propelling me to search for new recipes. May be its immature. 

Tomorrow I will do a trail and post the pictures and the facts here. 

Thanks for all your support. 

5 hours ago, cakewalk said:

This is similar to the Indonesian "thousand layer cake" or Spekok: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spekkoek I'm pretty sure there's a thread about this on eGullet somewhere. But your main question seems to be how to scale up, and by a huge margin. Hopefully someone will be able to help you with that. With the constant need to remove the trays from the oven to keep adding more and more batter, I'm not sure this cake is a good candidate for what you want to do.

Here is one link: https://forums.egullet.org/topic/100426-lapis-legit-spekuk-spekkoek/#comment-1528296  There are others.

I browsed the threads. Very useful information. Thank you