• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Intricate chocolate molds

pastrygirl

Some chocolate makers have incredibly intricate chocolate molds that boggle my mind.  How do they clean them?  Or do they not clean/polish them?  Or have an army of interns?  Or just do it perfectly every time and polishing molds is for suckers anyway?

They are beautiful, but seem so very impractical.  What am I missing?

The Soma is not bad, mostly thin lines, but the Askinosie ... :S

The Soma mold looks like it might mold easily - all the bumps go up into the chocolate if that makes sense. I know that David had a devil of a time with one set of molds he had made. 

The Dick Taylor looks like the one that would be a bubble bitch.

• Like 2

I had never heard of Micelli, but that may be a good thing. :laugh:  I'm working with Tomric on custom molds, I think they mostly do the vacuum formed, not the injection?  DO NOT convince me that I need to spend extra for injection molds, it's already a temptation!

• Like 1

Tomric can do injection molds as well but do more thermoformed.

Micelli makes some great molds and some less great. But then so do all those other companies.

• Like 1