• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2017 Kitchen Appliances

weinoo

• 1 month later...

The appliance market is changing quickly:

"Sears Splits With Whirlpool in Latest Blow to Struggling Chain"

Sears Holdings Corp. is breaking ties with Whirlpool Corp., a move that winds down a century-old partnership and deals another blow to the struggling retailer’s product lineup.

The department-store chain will stop selling most Whirlpool brands, including Maytag, KitchenAid and Jenn-Air, after the two sides failed to agree on pricing terms. The news sent Sears down almost 9 percent on Monday, punishing a stock that’s lost more than a third of its value this year.

It will be odd to no longer see Maytag appliances at Sears.

The article also mentions the selling of the Craftsman line of tools to Black & Decker. It was just announced that Lowe's would be selling Craftsman tools so perhaps Black & Decker finagled a deal with Lowe's.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Re Whirlpool/Sears, my perception is that Whirlpool, seeing a sinking ship, set up the situation in order to get "fired" vs. "I quit."

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 10/25/2017 at 11:11 PM, boilsover said:

I think a Lacanche Rully or Cormatin would be great in this space if your building has gas.  Treat yourself!

I think I just found my perfect stove. But it'd be a chunk of the cost of our current house so it feels a bit silly.

8 hours ago, quiet1 said:

I think I just found my perfect stove. But it'd be a chunk of the cost of our current house so it feels a bit silly.

Frankly, I was surprised that these small Lacanches were not more expensive.  5 grand isn't terrible for what you get.

I cooked on a larger Lacanche in Paris last month (that orange color!), and I see the appeal.

Another vote for the Lacanche. We have a Saulieu and it was the best kitchen decision we made in our remodel. I especially love the French top. You can do low simmers on it, or you can take the round center part out and pop in the wok ring, and it becomes a super high heat wok burner. The build quality is great but the technology is very simple, so repairs should not be complicated, if you ever need them. Their US office is also in NYC, so less shipping cost and easy access to parts for you. This is a range built to last a lifetime. And they are absolutely gorgeous, and will be the star feature of the kitchen.

One place that we saved some money was with the cabinets. We got ours from Green Demolitions. They buy high end cabinets being removed from homes for redos (usually when a new owner with different tastes moves in). They only buy stuff that is in ver good shape. You have to spend some time looking through plans to see what will fit in your kitchen, but we ended up getting a killer deal on solid wood cabinets, and they included a bunch of high end (Miele, Sub Zero, Viking) appliances like warming drawers, dishwasher, wine fridges, under counter fridge drawers, etc. in our package deal. That allowed us to go a bit higher end on the range and on the granite (Madagascar labradorite and Volga blue). I would estimate we saved $20-30k on cabinets (over using locally purchased semi-customs, not full customs) and got a number of appliances (some of which we love but would not have sprung for otherwise) as a bonus. Oh, and as the name implies, recycling perfectly good cabinets is a good environmental decision.

Edited by tikidoc (log)
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, tikidoc said:

Another vote for the Lacanche. We have a Saulieu and it was the best kitchen decision we made in our remodel. I especially love the French top. You can do low simmers on it, or you can take the round center part out and pop in the wok ring, and it becomes a super high heat wok burner. The build quality is great but the technology is very simple, so repairs should not be complicated, if you ever need them. Their US office is also in NYC, so less shipping cost and easy access to parts for you. This is a range built to last a lifetime. And they are absolutely gorgeous, and will be the star feature of the kitchen.

One place that we saved some money was with the cabinets. We got ours from Green Demolitions. They buy high end cabinets being removed from homes for redos (usually when a new owner with different tastes moves in). They only buy stuff that is in ver good shape. You have to spend some time looking through plans to see what will fit in your kitchen, but we ended up getting a killer deal on solid wood cabinets, and they included a bunch of high end (Miele, Sub Zero, Viking) appliances like warming drawers, dishwasher, wine fridges, under counter fridge drawers, etc. in our package deal. That allowed us to go a bit higher end on the range and on the granite (Madagascar labradorite and Volga blue). I would estimate we saved $20-30k on cabinets (over using locally purchased semi-customs, not full customs) and got a number of appliances (some of which we love but would not have sprung for otherwise) as a bonus. Oh, and as the name implies, recycling perfectly good cabinets is a good environmental decision.

For a second I was so excited because Penguins logo for avatar, possible local with a gorgeous range I could ask about! But no.

Does yours have the warming cabinet or the second oven? Or just storage? Which burner would you use if you wanted to boil a stock pot of water rapidly?

10 hours ago, quiet1 said:

For a second I was so excited because Penguins logo for avatar, possible local with a gorgeous range I could ask about! But no.

Does yours have the warming cabinet or the second oven? Or just storage? Which burner would you use if you wanted to boil a stock pot of water rapidly?

Nope, sorry, we are in VA. But it you want to see one locally, call Lacanche - they routinely contact local owners to serve as "ambassadors." I was able to see one locally after they made such a contact for me.

I have the 18K burner with the French top, 2x11K burners, a 15K burner, and a 5K burner. Most of the time, to heat up a pot of water, the 15K burner is more than sufficient and pretty quick. If I am heating up a really big stock pot (or if it's cold outside and I want to warm the kitchen a little), I would go to the 18K on the French top with the center part removed to expose the flame. For long simmers, such as making stock, I use the French top with the center part in place, and it still heats up pretty fast. I had thought about skipping the 11K burners (and going with 3x15K, a 5K and the 18K)  but I'm glad I didn't. Even "low" on the 15K is a lot of heat, so I think I have the best of all worlds with my current set-up.

I already had warming drawers in the kitchen (they came with the cabinets), so I got dual ovens, both electric with convection, a full size and a small vertical one. The smaller one is handy for making smaller dishes or a half a dozen cookies (from the freezer) because it heats up fast and does not warm the kitchen. There is a storage drawer on the bottom.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2017 at 11:11 PM, boilsover said:

I think a Lacanche Rully or Cormatin would be great in this space if your building has gas.  Treat yourself!

I think I'm already treating myself with the new kitchen; but I'll keep the Lacanche in mind for when we get our big country house!

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@tikidoc  Love that you used Green Demolition for a good deal of your kitchen; a good deal in many ways!

For our reno, my architect/designer suggested a company in Colorado that does semi-custom to custom cabinets; it's called Cab Parts, and from what I've seen of the cabinets (which are in the process of being assembled and installed as we speak), the quality is very good.  We are then having custom fronts put on all of these cabinets.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

20 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Your kitchen sounds like it's twice the size of my apartment!  Good looking range, that!

Thanks. It's a farmhouse-style house out in the boonies. The kitchen is pretty big (although I suspect you city dwellers would think most anything out here in the sticks would be big). I think the previous owners, who built the place, ran out of cash when it came to the fixtures and finishing the kitchen and bathrooms (mismatched light fixtures, even within the same room, pressboard cabinets, no tub in the master bath, etc.) So we pretty much ripped everything out of the kitchen and started over, and we are slowly working on updating the other stuff around the house. It has been a slow, gradual process, and I anticipate we will be at it for a while. Next project is solar panels...

• Like 3

On 10/28/2017 at 10:14 PM, quiet1 said:

How much do you spend on a car?  Even the very top ranges typically cost less than a decent used car.

3 hours ago, boilsover said:

How much do you spend on a car?  Even the very top ranges typically cost less than a decent used car.

You and I might have very different ideas about what counts as a decent used car.

That said, I am wondering about the feasibility of moving any of the nicer ranges when we eventually move. If we get something I really like, and it has life in it, leaving it behind would probably not make sense - this just isn't a house people expect to find high-end kitchens in.

6 minutes ago, quiet1 said:

You and I might have very different ideas about what counts as a decent used car.

That said, I am wondering about the feasibility of moving any of the nicer ranges when we eventually move. If we get something I really like, and it has life in it, leaving it behind would probably not make sense - this just isn't a house people expect to find high-end kitchens in.

It's done all the time.  But I would want a manufacturer-certified tech to break it down and set it back up.

One lucky friend of mine found a higher-end optioned La Cornue, sold out of a commensurately high-end home, for $2,500.  What kind of a used car do you get for that?

3 hours ago, boilsover said:

It's done all the time.  But I would want a manufacturer-certified tech to break it down and set it back up.

One lucky friend of mine found a higher-end optioned La Cornue, sold out of a commensurately high-end home, for $2,500.  What kind of a used car do you get for that?

LOL It's more than I've ever paid for one, but I drive disposables by choice. Also I'm a cheapskate. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning