• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Advice on flour types: substitute Atta flour for 00 in Portugal?

oofencocotte

Hi there,

I'm in Portugal and learning about all the different kinds of flour whilst learning Portuguese at the same time. It's a little confusing. I'm currently trying to make pasta and am looking for 00 flour. I've finally discovered after a few days of research that this is equivalent to T45 flour in portugal. That doesn't seem to be available in my local supermarket though so I've used all-purpose flour (T55) for my first attempt mixed with semolina.  It was ok but I'd really like to experiment with 00 flour if I can find it. 

But I also already have some Atta flour that I've been using for chapattis. I found one website that suggested you could swap Atta flour for 00 flour, but I'm looking for confirmation. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable?

Many thanks

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

I've used atta flour in the past but not to substitute 00 flour, rather durum flour, that is like semolina but finer (and atta as pastry girl is saying is also whole wheat).

Usually pasta is made with 00 flour but some people actually prefer the 0 flour, so why don't you just try the flour that is available to you and decide if you like it?

I've never seen anybody in Italy making pasta with semolina (except Sardinians maybe but you have to work it much much longer). I am a Southern Italian and for traditional Southern pasta we use durum (finely milled semolina) and I've used Atta before when living out of Italy and having a problem finding durum. But for a egg pasta, I don't normally use durum, or if I do is to cut 00 fllour with 10-20% durum.

Edited by Franci (log)