• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Artificial Wine?

donk79

No one is going to be surprised by the idea that fake wine is out there.  But I do not think that anyone tries to market it to a serious audience.  It sounds like that could be changing, with an effort to develop artificial wine that tastes like good wine.  I heard this on KCRW's Good food podcast today.  I am curious what others reactions are to this.  Culturally, I find the idea abhorrent.  Culinarily, I am curious.

http://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/good-food/the-great-tasting-menu-debate-cast-iron-skillets-grapeless-wine/grapeless-wine

The terroir at Ava Winery boasts neither nutrient-rich soil nor a mesoclimate, but rather test tubes and Bunsen burners. That’s because the synthetic wines are produced in their San Francisco lab without a single grape. It’s enough to make Bacchus’ (and Evan’s) heads roll. Co-founder Alec Lee explains the science behind their grapeless wines.

• 1 year later...