• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
donk79

Artificial Wine?

No one is going to be surprised by the idea that fake wine is out there.  But I do not think that anyone tries to market it to a serious audience.  It sounds like that could be changing, with an effort to develop artificial wine that tastes like good wine.  I heard this on KCRW's Good food podcast today.  I am curious what others reactions are to this.  Culturally, I find the idea abhorrent.  Culinarily, I am curious.

http://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/good-food/the-great-tasting-menu-debate-cast-iron-skillets-grapeless-wine/grapeless-wine

The terroir at Ava Winery boasts neither nutrient-rich soil nor a mesoclimate, but rather test tubes and Bunsen burners. That’s because the synthetic wines are produced in their San Francisco lab without a single grape. It’s enough to make Bacchus’ (and Evan’s) heads roll. Co-founder Alec Lee explains the science behind their grapeless wines.

Sign in to follow this