• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3.5 Qt KitchenAid?

MSRadell

We were in Bed Bath and Beyond the other day and they had a 3.5 quart KitchenAid mixer on display. It's the 1st time I've seen one that small. How long have they been in the market? They certainly seem like there is a small they wouldn't be very useful for most things. Also the cost was over $300 so it's not as if you're saving anything buying a smaller mixer.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I would not invest $300 in a mixer that small.  You'd not be able to do much with it.

Many years ago I got a 4.5 qt. KA as a gift and was disappointed that I couldn't make bread with it, because of it's size and because it didn't include a kneading hook.  My current mixer that I've owned since the mid 70's is a 5 qt. lift model (Hobart).  It's a good size for most everything.  Yes, it has a sizable footprint but, to me, it's worth it.  These days I don't use it much because I do my bread mixing in my Zojirushi bread machine which I love.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

My KA is a 4.5 quart model. It was fine for a while, but I started getting frustrated with it because it wasn't really big enough to do a batch of bread dough to fill two loaf pans. I eventually added a 7 quart Viking mixer (no longer made) to my stable of power tools. The KA is the one I go to for cookie dough, cake batter, and egg whites if I'm not doing them with a hand mixer. (My oatmeal cookie dough recipe is about at the large limit for the KA.) But for the bread dough or really large cake batter batches, I use the Viking.

Based on my experiences with the 4.5 quart model, I can't imagine that anyone would be happy with a mixer that's a quart smaller, unless that person doesn't bake much. But why would such a person need a stand mixer anyway?

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2