• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

kevnick80

There was mention of an airbrush bought in Denmark in a previous post. 

Does anyone else have issues with determining the sex of folks on the boards? When Anna and are are discussing someone we only know by avatar name it's always he/she/it - often shortened to 'shit' until we figure it out via clues and sometimes asking outright!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Does anyone else have issues with determining the sex of folks on the boards? When Anna and are are discussing someone we only know by avatar name it's always he/she/it - often shortened to 'shit' until we figure it out via clues and sometimes asking outright!

Absolutely.    So, I tend to reference them by their name.  Short shit would work....but, then, I’ve been called a little shit most of my life.....first my Mother and then picked up by my wife....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

@Madsandersen I'm not sure if you've said where you're located, but I would highly encourage you to invest in a workshop if one is available, especially an in-person (versus on-line) workshop. This forum is great for sharing information, but it's no substitute for being in a room with an experienced pastry chef who can walk you through numerous designs, and talk about equipment needs and such. I hope you've also explored the other topics here at eGullet like the troubleshooting topic, the early learning topic, and numerous topics on spray guns, cocoa butter, choosing chocolates, etc. A good starting point is the Index, although dated, is still very useful. And lastly, as a shameless plug, if you're in the United States or interested in traveling, each May many of us get together for a weekend chocolate and confections workshop. Our planning topic is HERE.

You are right, but I can't find such classes in Denmark... So I just have to find information elsewhere and try on my own. :( 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Madsandersen said:

You are right, but I can't find such classes in Denmark... So I just have to find information elsewhere and try on my own. :( 

I was in your shoes for many years...I like to attribute my success to scouring these threads, reading lots of chocolate books and lots of trial and error. I was however fortunate enough to attend my first workshop back in 2013, but since that is not an option, you can still gain a ton of knowledge from reading the threads on this website as they are a wealth of knowledge. I’m guessing now youtube would be a great resource if you are a visual learner. And just know that everyone has differing opinions on how to do various techniques, so ultimately you have to find the method that works the best for you to give you the results you are looking for. Not sure your experience, but just be prepared that there will be times that you will do the same thing and get a different result. I’ve been dabbling in chocolate work for 12 years now and I’m still learning that little things (i.e. temperature, humidity) will throw things out of whack. But if you enjoy a challenge, keep at it, you’ll only get better with time ☺️

And if you don’t have a copy yet, I would highly suggest getting Peter Grewelings “Chocolates and Confections” book. I consider it my chocolate bible and reference it often. 

Edited by YetiChocolates (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

This literally made me laugh out loud Kerry, damn that’s funny. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Madsandersen said:

No idea of costs - but Gustaf Mabrouk in Sweden has a number of videos online and does some classes I believe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madsandersen said:

And I am a poor student, can't afford some expensive classes at the moment..

There are a lot of chocolatiers out there. Walk in. Introduce yourself and offer to wash dishes if they'll let you look over their shoulder. Most good ones will happily take you up on your offer even if you are potentially competition. And if the first one says no, ask the second. Someone will happily mentor you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Madsandersen said:

Hey Mads

Perhaps we can meet and have fun with chocolate one day 😉 tjek my site - chokoleg.dk 😁

(First post in here 🖐 Normally just reading, learning and being inspired, but had to come though and say hallo to another dane )

IMG_20180812_211509_377.jpg

IMG_20171228_203315_359.jpg

IMG_20171209_195830_277.jpg

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, lukiluke said:

Hey Mads

Perhaps we can meet and have fun with chocolate one day 😉 tjek my site - chokoleg.dk 😁

(First post in here 🖐 Normally just reading, learning and being inspired, but had to come though and say hallo to another dane )

IMG_20180812_211509_377.jpg

IMG_20171228_203315_359.jpg

IMG_20171209_195830_277.jpg

Very nice! Welcome @lukiluke - glad you have uncloaked!

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

"ze" .. or hir or zir

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ze

though I guess "shit" works too :)

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

though I guess "shit" works too

Works for me... more fun than the Wiktionary version and political correctness is not a strong part of my skillset anyway. :D 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

17 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

From Andrey Dubovik's latest Instagram posting it would appear that he has managed to get the dendrite effect on a mold that is not smooth. Quite a feat.

It's still smooth in parts. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 8:35 PM, Sweet Impact Mama said:

Alright, this may have been asked somewhere on this forum, but does anyone know what mold Moonstruck uses to make these chocolates? 

Image result for what mold does Moonstruck use to make their ale chocolates

My guess is they use two different molds, but not sure. Living in Wisconsin, I'm surrounded by amazing local craft breweries and would LOVE to showcase some of them with something like this.

I was at their manufacturing store last week and while I did not pick up any of the beer pieces ( now I wish I had), I think I remember being told the tops were made with fondant. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gwbyls said:

I was at their manufacturing store last week and while I did not pick up any of the beer pieces ( now I wish I had), I think I remember being told the tops were made with fondant. 

Brilliant! I have a friend that was just in Portland over the weekend. She's bringing some back for me to analyze. 😎

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gwbyls said:

O.K., the picture we've got doesn't accurately represent the caps on the "bottles" now. They are solid and sit fully on top of it. And, they are all white or dark chocolate. Looks like they are delicately attached with a bit of chocolate. 

IMG_20180904_112317980.jpg

• Like 3