Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

kevnick80

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

Recommended Posts

Thanks @Bentley. I'll have a try and see what effect I get. I'm not sure that I actually want this effect on my normal bonbons but it might be nice to try it out on a few to see if people like it. 


Edited by a_pinch_of (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@a_pinch_of Looking at that instagram feed, I have two theories - the first is that there's just a heavy instagram filter being used. The second is perhaps the product is being frozen? There's what appears to be moisture on some of the chocolates in some of the pictures, freeze/thaw may adversely effect shine perhaps?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@keychris thanks for the suggestions. If either is the case then it looks like an accident rather than deliberate that they have a matt finish. I'm still going to have a try to recreate because even if this was not her intent I still quite like the muted look. I'll let you know if I get anything even remotely worth showing anyone 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it on the first one. White spray through Ateco Tip #33, then regular finger swiped swirls. You may remember when I was spraying through all sorts of gadgets and tools to create stencils. They always gave fuzzy effect like that and slightly warped spray since the stencil wasn't against the polycarb. Thanks for creating this topic. Love it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2nd one is a light white spray to create matte effect, with various speckles and swipes in red and white underneath.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Got it on the first one. White spray through Ateco Tip #33, then regular finger swiped swirls. You may remember when I was spraying through all sorts of gadgets and tools to create stencils. They always gave fuzzy effect like that and slightly warped spray since the stencil wasn't against the polycarb. Thanks for creating this topic. Love it.

Interesting. Sounds like you would start with the tip close to the bottom of the cavity and draw it out as you spray?   I will have to do some playing around with this.  


Edited by Bentley (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bentley said:

Interesting. Sounds like you would start with the tip close to the bottom of the cavity and draw it out as you spray?   I will have to do some playing around with this.  

 

I don't think you move it at all. Too cumbersome and the you lose control of the spray.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking wet splatters and dribbles hit with a blast of compressed air (i.e. air brush with no paint) to feather them - then green behind 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daniel D said:

Alright, anyone have ideas on the technique for this design?

 

 

That seems to be Andrey's signature design.  I see it a lot on his Instagram.  I think Kerry is pretty close on this one.  I would have guessed sponge painting and then compressed air.  The good news is that he has an online chocolate course and this bonbon is one of the lessons. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2017 at 11:12 PM, gfron1 said:

Got it on the first one. White spray through Ateco Tip #33, then regular finger swiped swirls. You may remember when I was spraying through all sorts of gadgets and tools to create stencils. They always gave fuzzy effect like that and slightly warped spray since the stencil wasn't against the polycarb. Thanks for creating this topic. Love it.

@gfron1 Did you get this one to work?  How did you attach the tip to the airbrush?  I can't find a way to do it that doesn't just create a big puddle of color in the mold.  I've tried a couple airbrushes.  The first is a basic badger 250 - the way that one is made, the siphon nozzle is in front of the air nozzle and there is no way to get the #33 tip on.  I also tried a Badger 360 but didn't do much better.    I would think that the airbrush needs to be seated close to the #33 tip's star opening, but I can't get my airbrushes to set up that way.  I'm curious how you did it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bentley said:

@gfron1 Did you get this one to work?  How did you attach the tip to the airbrush?  I can't find a way to do it that doesn't just create a big puddle of color in the mold.  I've tried a couple airbrushes.  The first is a basic badger 250 - the way that one is made, the siphon nozzle is in front of the air nozzle and there is no way to get the #33 tip on.  I also tried a Badger 360 but didn't do much better.    I would think that the airbrush needs to be seated close to the #33 tip's star opening, but I can't get my airbrushes to set up that way.  I'm curious how you did it.  

Why do I think there were pictures somewhere when he was doing this stuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Why do I think there were pictures somewhere when he was doing this stuff?

He did reference some earlier experiments spraying through different tools and gadgets, but I have not been able to figure out which thread that was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bentley said:

He did reference some earlier experiments spraying through different tools and gadgets, but I have not been able to figure out which thread that was.

yeah, I have no idea where those would be. My guess would be the showroom finish thread. And to answer your question I tried to replicate and got pretty close. Very delicate tap to spray with nozzle shoved in tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

yeah, I have no idea where those would be. My guess would be the showroom finish thread. And to answer your question I tried to replicate and got pretty close. Very delicate tap to spray with nozzle shoved in tip.

Can't find it on the Curious Blogsquat, which is where I went looking

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kerry Beal said:

Can't find it on the Curious Blogsquat, which is where I went looking

 

 

I know I didn't post it there. And I see my pics on the other thread are mostly dead links - damn! I'll go dig it up from Instagram and upload the picture properly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

yeah, I have no idea where those would be. My guess would be the showroom finish thread. And to answer your question I tried to replicate and got pretty close. Very delicate tap to spray with nozzle shoved in tip.

The way my airbrushes are designed, I can't shove them into the tip.  Need a different airbrush - or maybe ct down the back end of the tip.  I'm on a mission :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one is spraying through a standard cooling rack laid on top of my mold: Yellow backsprayed white12556066_223969391279189_277028708_n.jpg.3f86e9b6b1ae91c39ddd74db5f329abe.jpg

This is the one I mentioned: Yellow sprayed through Asian mesh strainer, backsprayed green.

12132681_1647557002190127_1716681272_n.jpg


Edited by gfron1 (log)
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@gfron1 Thanks.  Those are beautiful.  I will have to do some experimenting.  What is your Instagram name?  


Edited by Bentley (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

 

This is the one I mentioned: Yellow sprayed through Asian mesh strainer, backsprayed green.
 

12132681_1647557002190127_1716681272_n.jpg

 


I've wanted to borrow (ok, steal) that one since you first posted the pictures. I really like it. Amazon Canada finally made the little strainers available here not too long ago. They're significantly more expensive on Canadian amazon (a set of 10 for $46 compared to $11 for the same 10 on U.S. amazon) but if I can eventually get a result anywhere close to what you get, it'll be worth it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can you link to the strainers please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one is similar although not the same. Mine is aluminum and no fine mesh, only the wire mesh. But don't get stuck on the tool - there are countless objects out there that can serve as templates.

strainer.thumb.jpg.87d567a0664dba7b0be53154b297c35d.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. Im Chef Eureka an instructor at the Academy Of Pastry Arts India.

I came across this beautiful bonbon but cant break my head enough to knoq how this technique of design is done. This bonbon was designed by chef Andrey Dubovik. Any idea how he has executed this design???Screenshot_20170610-230804.thumb.png.0657ed48c2211239fd4ed333f59ca54c.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Eureka said:

Hi. Im Chef Eureka an instructor at the Academy Of Pastry Arts India.

I came across this beautiful bonbon but cant break my head enough to knoq how this technique of design is done. This bonbon was designed by chef Andrey Dubovik. Any idea how he has executed this design???

Welcome Chef Eureka! It looks like a post above where we believe a blast from an air compressor was used to spread the cocoa butter. BTW, in the past I've tried this technique and my compressor wasn't strong enough so I used canned air (the stuff used to clean inside keyboards). I didn't serve those because I vaguely remember there being a chemical involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Similar Content

    • By artiesel
      I have Volumes 1 ,2 and 4 of Jean-Pierre Wybauw's Great Chocolate books are for sale.
       
      The books are in great shape!  There is some tape on the corner of the front of volume 1 that I used to keep it together after a drop.  Volume 1 is also autographed by the author (See pics below).
       
      I'm asking $150 for the lot OBO.
       
      Let me know if interested or if you have questions
       
       
       



    • By Ly Qw
      Has anyone successfully made this at home before? The recipe from their cookbook isn't descriptive enough and I've had moderate success with it but the sabayon texture just looks much more aerated in the ambroisie version
    • By ChrisZ
      Hoping for some help.  I accidentally melted an old mould that is very important to us and I've had no luck searching around for a replacement.  
      If anyone knows where I could buy one - or even has one to spare they would be willing to sell - please send me a message.
      The mould (label attached below) was originally labelled as "Easy as ABC gelatin mould", although we just call it the alphabet mould.  Yes there are lots of alphabet moulds around, including new silicone ones, but we need the specific designs on this one to replace the one I damaged.  Depending on the cost, I would consider paying for postage internationally (to Australia).
      Thanks in advance!

    • By Miriam G
      Hello everyone,
      I am in the process of locating a commercial kitchen space to rent in order to produce my chocolates on a larger scale, for retail and wholesale.  The challenge is that I have not been able to locate a space that has air conditioning or any kind of temperature control.  Even if everything else in the facility is perfect, that's the one issue that keeps coming up.
       
      Can anyone provide guidance regarding the feasibility of working in a non temperature controlled space, and if there are any work arounds?  I'd have full access to fridges, freezers, etc...
       
      Thanks in advance for any help or experiences you can share!
      Miriam
    • By artiesel
      Has anyone ever worked with or made buttercream candies? 
       
      As far as I can tell they appear to be simply fondant sugar with the addition of butter.  
       
      Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×