Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

kevnick80

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

Recommended Posts

Some of my latest tests. Trying to get consistent mirror like shining.
Cheers

IMG-20180819-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20180819-WA0014.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just posted on the other thread (showroom finish) how I did it. I saw that Kerry used chocolate, I used molding putty, but I also made some with chocolate. I prefer the molding putty. It is kind of soft like silicone and seemed to be just perfect for getting that suction. Plus it sets up real fast too and I like to have it on hand for making mini molds on the fly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First attempt on making dendritic patterns. Gotta try it for real soon.

IMG-20180822-WA0036.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vtoselli said:

First attempt on making dendritic patterns. Gotta try it for real soon.

IMG-20180822-WA0036.jpg

Looks good

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't compare to Dubovik, but im pretty happy with my first attempt.

IMG-20180823-WA0047.jpg

IMG-20180823-WA0041.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, vtoselli said:

Doesn't compare to Dubovik, but im pretty happy with my first attempt.

IMG-20180823-WA0047.jpg

IMG-20180823-WA0041.jpg


I LOVE THOSE!! The dark patterns made me thing of tiger stripes, which just isn't my thing.... but the white ones look like hoarfrost on branches - which is one of my favorite things in the world. These are beautiful!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@vtoselli, those are very nice, quite successful I would say. You said you thought you would use silicone. Is that what you in fact used?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

@vtoselli, those are very nice, quite successful I would say. You said you thought you would use silicone. Is that what you in fact used?

Actually i used a tip from another user: a hard chocolate bonbon but i sprayed a thick layer of white cocoa butter to give me a very polished surface. Then i drop a little bit of cocoa butter in the mold and "stamp" the cavity. Gotta do a few more tests, but i'll get there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Sweet Impact Mama said:


I LOVE THOSE!! The dark patterns made me thing of tiger stripes, which just isn't my thing.... but the white ones look like hoarfrost on branches - which is one of my favorite things in the world. These are beautiful!

 

Thx! the "tiger" patterns happens when you use a lot of ink while stamping, less ink you use, you'll get the hoarfrost effect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, this may have been asked somewhere on this forum, but does anyone know what mold Moonstruck uses to make these chocolates? 

Image result for what mold does Moonstruck use to make their ale chocolates

My guess is they use two different molds, but not sure. Living in Wisconsin, I'm surrounded by amazing local craft breweries and would LOVE to showcase some of them with something like this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sweet Impact Mama said:

Alright, this may have been asked somewhere on this forum, but does anyone know what mold Moonstruck uses to make these chocolates? 

Image result for what mold does Moonstruck use to make their ale chocolates

My guess is they use two different molds, but not sure. Living in Wisconsin, I'm surrounded by amazing local craft breweries and would LOVE to showcase some of them with something like this.

 

 

Hmm, those are nice!  I recently found out about blister transfers - a single use cavity with a design already silk-screened in CB.  I'm thinking the caps must be a custom blister with the various beer logos in the cavities. 

 

https://pavonitalia.com/professional/en/b705-blister-square-b705-100456.html

http://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/c210060/blister-sheet/c378159397/p17740333.html

 

after a little more searching, looks like these folks could make custom printed bottle cap blisters: https://www.pcb-creation.com/?lang=en

 

something like this for the bottle neck:  http://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/chocolate-molds/chocolate-molds-chocolate-world/cw1001-to-cw1900/p16408072.html

or this, same but a little larger http://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/chocolate-molds/chocolate-molds-chocolate-world/cw2000-to-cw2400/p16408279.html


Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Sweet Impact Mama said:

Alright, this may have been asked somewhere on this forum, but does anyone know what mold Moonstruck uses to make these chocolates? 

Image result for what mold does Moonstruck use to make their ale chocolates

My guess is they use two different molds, but not sure. Living in Wisconsin, I'm surrounded by amazing local craft breweries and would LOVE to showcase some of them with something like this.

 

The bottom is a cuvette mold that I've seen before - not quite sure if the top is molded or is just a transfer with some white chocolate draped over the top while still wet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hello!

When I try to make something like this (very clear in the colors), they end up very dark! I spray my mold first with pure tempered cocoa butter, then applying the colors and then filling with dark chocolate. Is it possible to get so clear colors with dark chocolate and how? Maybe applying white colored cocoa butter at last, and then filling with chocolate?

Thanks!

Mads

image.png


Edited by Madsandersen (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I colored them with cocoa butter as you are slightly able to see, but how to get powerful colors? :D

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_2664.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Madsandersen said:

I colored them with cocoa butter as you are slightly able to see, but how to get powerful colors? :D

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_2664.JPG

It’s the difference between using transparent colors and opaque colors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

The bottom is a cuvette mold that I've seen before - not quite sure if the top is molded or is just a transfer with some white chocolate draped over the top while still wet.

I wonder if they made a mold of the bottle cap or just used a bottle cap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Madsandersen said:

The colors are somehow "solid" (not translucent), maybe my colors are translucent?

If I"m understanding your question correctly, you would add more colorant to the cocoa butter if you want a more solid color. If you are not mixing your own colors, you could also spray the color first, then spray white behind it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Madsandersen said:

The colors are somehow "solid" (not translucent), maybe my colors are translucent?

Do you mix your own colored cocoa butter? If so, I would add more powder. Even if you are not adding a white back layer, the colors should show up more than they do. Red, for example, becomes maroon when backed with milk or dark chocolate.

 

That being said, however, yes, you have to spray a layer of white when making shells of milk or dark chocolate. It's a nuisance, but it's the only way to get the vibrant colors of your first image because most colors will fade out--unless you are using a color that already contains some white (such as light yellow or gold).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

I wonder if they made a mold of the bottle cap or just used a bottle cap

I was wondering about that. It would seem to be terribly time consuming if you have to do it one at a time. Tho, since they aren't particularly thin, they might have a silicone mold that does it, with the blister transfers that PastryGirl mentioned above.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Madsandersen said:

The colors are somehow "solid" (not translucent), maybe my colors are translucent?

They may be using colors that already have some white mixed in, to get it to be more opaque, but I'd also assume a fine layer of white sprayed behind. I've been able to use a platinum dusting powder behind my more translucent colors, to get them to show up more "true". 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

 

Hmm, those are nice!  I recently found out about blister transfers - a single use cavity with a design already silk-screened in CB.  I'm thinking the caps must be a custom blister with the various beer logos in the cavities. 

 

https://pavonitalia.com/professional/en/b705-blister-square-b705-100456.html

http://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/c210060/blister-sheet/c378159397/p17740333.html

 

after a little more searching, looks like these folks could make custom printed bottle cap blisters: https://www.pcb-creation.com/?lang=en

 

something like this for the bottle neck:  http://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/chocolate-molds/chocolate-molds-chocolate-world/cw1001-to-cw1900/p16408072.html

or this, same but a little larger http://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/chocolate-molds/chocolate-molds-chocolate-world/cw2000-to-cw2400/p16408279.html

 

Thanks for those links! I knew about getting individual squares, but not that style!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madsandersen said:

Hello!

When I try to make something like this (very clear in the colors), they end up very dark! I spray my mold first with pure tempered cocoa butter, then applying the colors and then filling with dark chocolate. Is it possible to get so clear colors with dark chocolate and how? Maybe applying white colored cocoa butter at last, and then filling with chocolate?

Thanks!

Mads

image.png

 

These are transparent colours with white sprayed behind

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Similar Content

    • By eglies
      Hi there,
      I have found a Danish company who produce 100% natural oil based coloring in liquid form that can be mixed with cocoa butter. I received samples and will test. No E in all colors. 
      They require large quantities in kg to be purchased and the specs say 270 days shelf life once opened. 
      It is so important to get clean labels nowadays why haven’t other companies in europe come up with solutions for small quantities for small businesses?
      I will try it out if I have good results, is anyone interested to share thes quantities with me? Preferably in Europe as shipping would be impossible to the USA. 
      If anyone has another supplier to suggest please let me know. Chef rubber doesn’t supply europe yet and Roxy and Rich are powders not sure what I think of them yet. But none are 100% natural like the company in Denmark. 
       
    • By crisw
      I am trying to work on making some chocolates for my diabetic sister. As the sweetener, I used Swerve, an erythritol-based sweetener that supposedly behaves like sugar (and that my sister likes.) I added it to my standard milk chocolate recipe from Chocolate Alchemy- http://chocolatealchemy.com/recipes/dark-milk-chocolate-45 It came out of the melanger fine and set up OK. But, when I went to temper it, it would not melt! Even after an hour at 140F, it was about the consistency of peanut butter. 
       
      Has anyone worked with Swerve and have any successful recipes? Or have any idea why it was so viscous?  The stuff is darned expensive, so I don't want to experiment too much. 
    • By eglies
      Hi,
       
      I am looking for a seriously quiet compressor which works well for daily bonbon airbrushing. Can someone recommend something that is quiet and oil free?
       
      Thank you
       
    • By Darienne
      Well, I guess I am more curious than embarrassed.  Although I use fairly good quality chocolate to make dipped citrus peels, bonbons and so on, I also use a lot of less than good quality chocolate to make toppings on pies and cakes, particularly for friends and neighbors who think that Merkens is delicious.  Well, that's unkind, but you know what I mean.  In Canada, we have a chocolate called 'World's Finest' and it is truly awful.  Oh well.
       
      So here is the situation.  I have purchased from Canadian Wal-Mart for a good number of years now a bar, Waterbridge Imported Belgian, 400 grams, in Milk, Dark and Extra Dark varieties.  And my topping is invariably 4 oz of chocolate and 1/2 cup of half and half or whipping cream.  And it always sets just fine.   Perfect. 
       
      About 3 months ago, I made a Milk chocolate topping for a friend who loves milk chocolate.  It didn't set.  It was soup.  OK.  But the Dark and Extra Dark still worked fine.  Two days ago, both of those were soup.  
       
      I wrote to Wal-Mart noting the change, and also that the ever-present gold cardboard is now missing from the bars.  They apologized profusely and offered me my money back.  (In the meantime, I figured out that 1/4 cup of cream would work perfectly.)  
       
      The ingredients are: for the Extra Dark: cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa powder, soy lecithin and the Dark: cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter and soya lecithin. 
       
      What do you suppose they did to the mix to make it so different?
    • By BVWells
      I've seen so much beautiful molded chocolate work here I decided to come to the experts. I'm still trying to get consistent shine on my molded chocolates (not using colored cocoa butter yet). I typically get a few really good ones, most have some spots with really good shine and some ok shine, and then maybe I have 1 dud (air bubble or some kind of blemish). I'm just wondering, what would you all say are the top 3 tips to getting that consistent super shine?
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×