• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

kevnick80

5 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Nope - but I’m working on it with some help from my friends! Close to success when I was north

How close Kerry? What part of your process failed to work?

(Nothing changes with me; always question, after question...)

Philip

I'm very impressed. Who would have imagined dendritic patterns on confections? Obviously, someone did - but not I!  I wonder if they got the idea from looking at, say, a dendritic agate. I often look at interesting landforms and wonder how they might be reproduced in pastry form, but the closest I personally can come is to make meringue to look like a sand dune.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

53 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

So before this fad comes and goes... Did we ever hear how this is done? Wasn't this something to do with baking soda?

488765156_Screenshot_20180820-1450332.thumb.png.2ad329d8156ed2a4308f64e5f5b64a73.png

Nope - but I’m working on it with some help from my friends! Close to success when I was north

43 minutes ago, ptw1953 said:

How close Kerry? What part of your process failed to work?

(Nothing changes with me; always question, after question...)

Philip

Using wrong mold and wrong blank 

So creating suction...I'm guessing this is not the baking soda method then. In the video in that link she says with much exuberance - glass works better than plexiglass. That's interesting considering we use polycarb which is much closer to plexiglass than glass.

22 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Here’s the jumping off point Click

WOW, Kerry, you seem to have cracked it! I knew the pattern looked so familiar but couldn't figure out why. I have a weird memory of that sort of thing happening when cleaning glass panes in windows and putting them together before they were fully dry. 

Can't wait to see what your work looks like when done!

btw - I think the top picture you shared looks like a little mushroom cap. 😄

Edited by Sweet Impact Mama (log)

44 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

ahhh...a solid chocolate mold made from the same cavity. You used white...dark for a harder material possibly?

Up north trials were with molding compound.

7 minutes ago, Bentley said:

Is that chocolate or cocoa butter in the molds?

Yes! Both - chocolate with extra cocoa butter and colored cocoa butter. 

55 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

That's an interesting idea. Or modelllng clay - the stuff that gets hard.

I was thinking about making a silicon mould out of the chocolate mould. Silicon is more elastic and would give enough vaccum for the technique to work. Gonna try it ASAP.

Edited by vtoselli (log)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, vtoselli said:

I was thinking about making a silicon mould out of the chocolate mould. Silicon is more elastic and would give enough vaccum for the technique to work. Gonna try it ASAP.

The article said glass on glass works best so I figured that meant something less elastic was better. But that was just my deduction, I really have no idea.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

The article said glass on glass works best so I figured that meant something less elastic was better. But that was just my deduction, I really have no idea.

Yeah, i read that too. But a have no ideal how to make/find something glass-like that fits into my molds, so i'll try diferent options and share with u guys. hahahah

Edited by vtoselli (log)
  • Like 1