• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

kevnick80

13 minutes ago, ptw1953 said:

I am, most certainly, a wannabee

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:26 AM, ptw1953 said:

Black and Gold.jpg

Then I think it's time for me to sell all of my chocolate equipment and invest in a kazoo or something instead. :P

• Haha 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, ptw1953 said:

Jim, your words are so kind, and I thank you for them. They give me a huge lift.

The mould was not at all difficult to prepare; 10mm tape across the middle of the mould,  spatter with tempered black cocoa butter ( I used a toothbrush) and put into the fridge for 10 minutes, then bring back up to 20 degrees centigrade (in my kitchen now, it is 27c), remove the tape and hand paint the mould with tempered gold cocoa butter; et voila...

@gfron1 gave me the temperatures to temper my cocoa butter too, which made a huge difference, compared anything else I have attempted to mould.

I am, most certainly, a wannabee, and I hope that continues to be the case for as long as I am able to wake up in the morning.

This site is full of the most inspirational people...

Philip

Philip,

Thanks for replying; your humility is impressive (if that's not a contradiction in terms). And thank you also for sharing your method for that design. Did you see all the guesses about it earlier in this thread? It's quite simple compared to what many of us thought. The black splatter must be quite heavy so that the gold ends up looking like a net on top of the black--when in fact the gold is the background color. 

Once I completed the course I took with Andrey Dubovik, I asked him if he ever discussed, with his students, techniques other than those taught in the course, such as this favorite of mine:  https://instagram.com/p/BiuiXhyHezZ/

Alas, he said no (it is, after all, how he makes his living), but now that you have joined the forum....we may learn all.

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Tape (mask) the entire side, spatter with gold. spray with what looks brown, so perhaps 50% dark/50% CB (or just coloured CB). remove the side tape, add the angled tape at the top of the mold, spray the gold, remove the tape, spray with black.

I wouldn't want to do it!

28 minutes ago, keychris said:

Tape (mask) the entire side, spatter with gold. spray with what looks brown, so perhaps 50% dark/50% CB (or just coloured CB). remove the side tape, add the angled tape at the top of the mold, spray the gold, remove the tape, spray with black.

I wouldn't want to do it!

If that is even an approximation of how much work is involved, all I can say is that is why, like many other chocolatier-artistes, Dubovik can do it because he is making a single mold, not 15 of them for Christmas sales. Someone in the online course asked him a question seeking guidance on the pricing of chocolates. Andrey's answer was that he could not help because he has never sold a chocolate in his life.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4

23 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

If that is even an approximation of how much work is involved, all I can say is that is why, like many other chocolatier-artistes, Dubovik can do it because he is making a single mold, not 15 of them for Christmas sales. Someone in the online course asked him a question seeking guidance on the pricing of chocolates. Andrey's answer was that he could not help because he has never sold a chocolate in his life.

One day someone will offer a class called "Techniques that You Can Actually Use in Production" and they will make a fortune. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

59 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

How can that be possible? He didn't start as a chocolatier? No wonder his designs are insanely complex!

On 8/5/2018 at 5:02 PM, gfron1 said:

...the technique that they told us they would explain but never did as far as I can tell.

Last night they sorta answered it on their IG story feed - various things including leaves and bubble wrap have been used in their recent efforts. So various forms of dabbing. #CarryOn

• Like 1

Dang! Catch it while you can on ChocolateLab's IG story feed! Absolutely gorgeous, stunning and doable! They painted a leaf, and then pressed it into the mold. You have 24 hours to see that post! (and this is where Story feeds suck in relationship to forums, and why forum's are more valuable.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

Melissa Coppel offers that class. I just took it in July and she has another one this month. 

A bunch of us have taken Melissa's classes and she really is the best. That said, she is for a certain level of production with all of her Selmis at her beck and call. But, she is very pragmatic and if you watch her feeds and posts she is on a crusade right now to get people to focus on the quality of their chocolates not just the quality of their Instagram pics. BTW, I'm taking her Sept class. I've found that no matter how many classes I take I always learn something new and improve my game so I can't wait.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

A bunch of us have taken Melissa's classes and she really is the best. That said, she is for a certain level of production with all of her Selmis at her beck and call. But, she is very pragmatic and if you watch her feeds and posts she is on a crusade right now to get people to focus on the quality of their chocolates not just the quality of their Instagram pics. BTW, I'm taking her Sept class. I've found that no matter how many classes I take I always learn something new and improve my game so I can't wait.

The Running a Chocolate Production class would be more accurately titled Rrcipe Development and Decoration Techniques for Running a Profitable Chocolate Production. The recipes are formulated to last at least 3 months and the decor is one or two steps. You need smallwares and a spray gun/compressor, but you don’t need special equipment for the molded bonbons. Enrobing is always going to be more efficient/profitable and that’s what is going to cost $$$ to set up. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Dang! Catch it while you can on ChocolateLab's IG story feed! Absolutely gorgeous, stunning and doable! They painted a leaf, and then pressed it into the mold. You have 24 hours to see that post! (and this is where Story feeds suck in relationship to forums, and why forum's are more valuable.)

Just watched it! Brilliant. I tried scrunching up my neoprene gloves and dabbing with them, one time, and it totally fooled a wholesale client. They were convinced that the truffle i used it on took too long to be practical for production limitations. It was one of the easiest I did, and hadn't returned to it because it felt lazy. 🤣

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

The Running a Chocolate Production class would be more accurately titled Rrcipe Development and Decoration Techniques for Running a Profitable Chocolate Production. The recipes are formulated to last at least 3 months and the decor is one or two steps. You need smallwares and a spray gun/compressor, but you don’t need special equipment for the molded bonbons. Enrobing is always going to be more efficient/profitable and that’s what is going to cost $$$ to set up. 

That's why I have a feeling I'll never got to the enrobing production stage. No room for the equipment and no up front cash for it. 

4 hours ago, Sweet Impact Mama said:

That's why I have a feeling I'll never got to the enrobing production stage. No room for the equipment and no up front cash for it. 

Same here...

8 hours ago, gfron1 said:

I gave up. I'm a social media dummy... I can't find it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

48 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I gave up. I'm a social media dummy... I can't find it.

Apparently these things exist for exactly 24 hours and after that they disappear.  That is what I was told after I complained that I couldn’t find it!  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Apparently these things exist for exactly 24 hours and after that they disappear.  That is what I was told after I complained that I couldn’t find it!  

Yeah, I saw that. I assumed I had 24 hours from when Rob posted about it. That was probably a silly thing to assume, it may have already been available for hours before that. :D

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

3 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Yeah, I saw that. I assumed I had 24 hours from when Rob posted about it. That was probably a silly thing to assume, it may have already been available for hours before that. :D

It's still there and should be for ~ 6 more hrs.  I believe you need to follow them in order to see the stories.

• Like 1

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

It's still there and should be for ~ 6 more hrs.  I believe you need to follow them in order to see the stories.

Hmm.  Well I’m not going to start following so I guess I lose. But thanks for enlightening me.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

Hmm.  Well I’m not going to start following so I guess I lose. But thanks for enlightening me.  

I think there are ways to watch stories without following someone but it's beyond my limited social media skill set!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I think there are ways to watch stories without following someone but it's beyond my limited social media skill set!

I am following them... I just don't know where to find the stories I suppose. Social media beyond forums really isn't my strong point. I kinda have Facebook down now but I was pretty late even to that one.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

I am following them... I just don't know where to find the stories I suppose. Social media beyond forums really isn't my strong point. I kinda have Facebook down now but I was pretty late even to that one.

Go to their IG feed.  Click or tap the circle that's their profile photo or "avatar."  That should bring them up.  You may need to click or tap the arrow to make them play. 

Generally, if there are stories that you haven't seen, there will be a colored ring around the avatar.  

On mobile, stories also show up at the top of your feed where you'll see a row of profile photos from people you follow with a colored circle around the ones with unveiwed stories.  Tap them to view.  Once you've viewed them, the colored circle goes away but you can still re-watch stories that are less than 24 hrs old by tapping their profile photo.

On a desktop or laptop, stories show up in a little window at the upper right of your feed and you click on them to view. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
Typo (log)
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Go to their IG feed.  Click or tap the circle that's their profile photo or "avatar."  That should bring them up.  You may need to click or tap the arrow to make them play. 

Generally, if there are stories that you haven't seen, there will be a colored ring around the avatar.  

On mobile, stories also show up at the top of your feed where you'll see a row of profile photos from people you follow with a colored circle around the ones with unveiled stories.  Tap them to view.  Once you've viewed them, the colored circle goes away but you can still re-watch stories that are less than 24 hrs old by tapping their profile photo.

On a desktop or laptop, stories show up in a little window at the upper right of your feed and you click on them to view. 

Thanks! That was easy. I really do learn something here every day.

• Like 1