• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

kevnick80

Hi everyone! 

Im new in this Forum and also kind of new to making chocolate bon bons.

After trying out different techniques over the past couple weeks i've been getting really satisfying results unless i try the swirl technique. 

I dont know what I'm doing wrong but whenever i try this design there are littler bits of the colored cocoa butter stuck in the mold. 
I polish my mold really well and pretty sure that my temperatures are correct as well.

Let me know what you think! 

Thanks a lot for your help in advance 

IMG_0664.thumb.jpg.92de24dfd15d8ea32375809b7a093c0f.jpgIMG_0665.thumb.jpg.3a8cef420cd92e9fd47dabdde8148cc6.jpgIMG_0666.thumb.jpg.a94c4c9f6720464909a29fd81f5caca2.jpg

12 hours ago, edremit said:

Hi everyone! 

Im new in this Forum and also kind of new to making chocolate bon bons.

After trying out different techniques over the past couple weeks i've been getting really satisfying results unless i try the swirl technique. 

I dont know what I'm doing wrong but whenever i try this design there are littler bits of the colored cocoa butter stuck in the mold. 
I polish my mold really well and pretty sure that my temperatures are correct as well.

Let me know what you think! 

Thanks a lot for your help in advance 

IMG_0664.thumb.jpg.92de24dfd15d8ea32375809b7a093c0f.jpgIMG_0665.thumb.jpg.3a8cef420cd92e9fd47dabdde8148cc6.jpgIMG_0666.thumb.jpg.a94c4c9f6720464909a29fd81f5caca2.jpg

Try making sure the chocolate that you are using to make the shells is as warm as possible while still in temper.

So my news feed had this story - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/korean-american-chocolatier-makes-unique-treats-are-rare-western-shops-n1136996

They look like they have a transparent outer shell - a clear coat?  Daydreaming I'm wondering if I were to fill the mold with cocoa butter and, ?within 3 seconds?, dump.  So that the shell is 1/64" rather than the usual 1/16".  Then chill, then while cold: spray, splatter, swipe, paint - chill again - refill with chocolate at at low temp - 86 deg F ??? and dump quickly.  - Then fill with ...? whisky ganache ? and cap.

So unless someone comes back with "I tried that and it trust me you don't want to even try..." I plan on giving it a shot.

7 minutes ago, liderbug said:

So my news feed had this story - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/korean-american-chocolatier-makes-unique-treats-are-rare-western-shops-n1136996

They look like they have a transparent outer shell - a clear coat?  Daydreaming I'm wondering if I were to fill the mold with cocoa butter and, ?within 3 seconds?, dump.  So that the shell is 1/64" rather than the usual 1/16".  Then chill, then while cold: spray, splatter, swipe, paint - chill again - refill with chocolate at at low temp - 86 deg F ??? and dump quickly.  - Then fill with ...? whisky ganache ? and cap.

So unless someone comes back with "I tried that and it trust me you don't want to even try..." I plan on giving it a shot.

Not sure I know what you are asking? But filling the mold with cocoa butter and dumping out will not give you this shiny look. It's all about polishing and using tempered colored cocoa butter to decorate the molds.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, liderbug said:

So, I’ve had Susanna’s bonbons and they are the best I’ve ever had. Both in terms of decor and taste/texture. But she is using the same basic techniques as other chocolatiers. Super clean molds, tempered cocoa butter for painting or spraying, thin chocolate shell, filling at just the right height, nice smooth caps. She is just meticulous about every single step. 

Her packaging in her boxes includes a clear tray with depressions for the domes to sit in and then a clear plastic cover to hold the bonbons in place. Maybe that’s what you’re seeing?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, liderbug said:

Ah! Yes, now I can see it. <sigh> I was hoping there a method ...

I suppose one could cut the plastic cover and ...  but not much flavor.

True that!

Ah! Yes, now I can see it. <sigh> I was hoping there a method …

I think once you tasted your chocolates with a thick layer of plain cocoa butter on the outside, you'd be less enthusiastic with that hope. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Well - understand I'm new to this - I'm thinking a thin coat.  Like a clear coat on a car or wax job.  And can you flavor cocoa butter? -  Say rum ganache filling, then a little rum in the cocoa butter.  And of course any mistakes must be made to "go away".

24 minutes ago, liderbug said:

Well - understand I'm new to this - I'm thinking a thin coat.  Like a clear coat on a car or wax job.  And can you flavor cocoa butter? -  Say rum ganache filling, then a little rum in the cocoa butter.  And of course any mistakes must be made to "go away".

I think we have all had this same thought - those of us who have tried it have learned it doesn’t work.

Any flavor added to cocoa butter has to be in an oil form in order to not cause the cocoa butter to seize.

I'm thinking a thin coat.  Like a clear coat on a car or wax job.

I understood what you meant, I just wasn't very clear with my response. By thick, I didn't mean what one would normally think of as being thick. A clear coat/wax job amount would be what I'd consider thick in this instance. The words cocoa and butter together sounds like something that would taste amazing but in reality, not so much. It's noticeable from decorating with colored cocoa butter if the decorating gets too heavy handed. I wouldn't call it offensive, just noticeable. But even if there was a way to get a layer thick enough to look like the chocolate was encased in glass to be completely clear, which it wouldn't be, that amount would definitely mess with the taste.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think we have all had this same thought - those of us who have tried it have learned it doesn’t work.

Any flavor added to cocoa butter has to be in an oil form in order to not cause the cocoa butter to seize.

You can also infuse the cocoa butter with herbs 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, liderbug said:

Well - understand I'm new to this - I'm thinking a thin coat.  Like a clear coat on a car or wax job.

You can try using shellac, like for dragees. Applied after de-molding the bonbons, I don't think shellac would release from the mold.

Teo

Teo

7 hours ago, Bentley said:

How do you think Giorgio does this one?  

De-mold the bonbons.

Freeze them.

Spray yellow cocoa butter all over their surface, if they are frozen the you get the velvet effect (this technique is a classic for entremets).

Put a sort of collar over each bonbon.

Spray red cocoa butter on top.

Take away the collar.

Pipe the heart (basic technique with a cornet).

Teo

• Like 3

Teo

8 minutes ago, teonzo said:

You can try using shellac, like for dragees. Applied after de-molding the bonbons, I don't think shellac would release from the mold.

Teo

I can assure you - shellac doesn't release from molds and you will never, ever, ever be able to get it out of those molds - ask me how I know?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I can assure you - shellac doesn't release from molds and you will never, ever, ever be able to get it out of those molds - ask me how I know?

How do you know?

Teo

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Teo

1 minute ago, teonzo said:

How do you know?

Teo

It was a sample from the PMCA of something sparkly or shiny - didn't realize it was shellac based. It's still in those molds - I've tried a few things to get it it out. Naught has worked so far. 

• Sad 1

Hello,

So I am trying to dye my homemade bonbons with my own homemade colored cocoa butter.

I have noticed that some brands of chocolate paint are using natural ingridients, like Flower power IBC using spirulina, beetroot and curcumin:

https://www.ibcbelgium.com/en/power-flowers-spirulina.html

https://www.ibcbelgium.com/en/power-flowers-beetroot.html

https://www.ibcbelgium.com/en/power-flowers-non-azo-yellow.html

1. How can I make my own homemade colors? Those that I made weren't concentraded enough and the result was a dull color, nothing of the brilliance that store bought paint would give. I don't think it is possible for me to dissolve enough curcumin in cocoa butter to get that very shiny yellow color. See picture. Are they maybe using an emulsifier? Which one?

2. I also think that these store bought colors are liquid in room temperature, right? But cocoa butter is not liquid in room temperature, so how do they do that? Do they add something? What?

Thanks!

20200216_083005.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrG_84 said:

I also think that these store bought colors are liquid in room temperature, right? But cocoa butter is not liquid in room temperature, so how do they do that? Do they add something? What?

Not sure if I'm understanding what you're asking but commercial colored cocoa butter is not liquid at room temp.

1 hour ago, MrG_84 said:

Hello,

So I am trying to dye my homemade bonbons with my own homemade colored cocoa butter.

I have noticed that some brands of chocolate paint are using natural ingridients, like Flower power IBC using spirulina, beetroot and curcumin:

https://www.ibcbelgium.com/en/power-flowers-spirulina.html

https://www.ibcbelgium.com/en/power-flowers-beetroot.html

https://www.ibcbelgium.com/en/power-flowers-non-azo-yellow.html

1. How can I make my own homemade colors? Those that I made weren't concentraded enough and the result was a dull color, nothing of the brilliance that store bought paint would give. I don't think it is possible for me to dissolve enough curcumin in cocoa butter to get that very shiny yellow color. See picture. Are they maybe using an emulsifier? Which one?

2. I also think that these store bought colors are liquid in room temperature, right? But cocoa butter is not liquid in room temperature, so how do they do that? Do they add something? What?

Thanks!

Having pursued the illusive all-natural beauty goal for nearly 3 years now, here's what I've come up with.

1) I would never try making dyes myself, because even the companies that have all-natural powders that work in fat-based applications, have had very little success creating fine enough powders with strong pigments. For the plant-based powder routed, only Sensient has come close. They do sell vibrant, well-dissolving colors, but you have to purchase huge quantities, that expire within 12 months, on average.

2) Pur Colour makes amazing metallics that are mineral based and do a really good job - they are a staple in my work.

3) Chef Rubber has cracked the code with their new all-natural, organic colored cocoa butter line. I'll post some pics of the valentines day products that I did with their stuff. IT is truly incredible and since I tend to play with color mixing a lot, they have the best options for varieties to work with.

IMG_20200106_095758474.jpg

IMG_20200110_084742693.jpg

IMG_20200115_115928011.jpg

• Like 6

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not but couldn't find a how do they dont do that thread :)

I made a swirl bonbons and parts of the paints left on the mold. What might be the issue? 

I sprayed the paint and made swirls by hand using a foam brush. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the shine. I am almost certain tempering was right

Thanks

IMG_5879.jpg

2 hours ago, hvea said:

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not but couldn't find a how do they dont do that thread :)

I made a swirl bonbons and parts of the paints left on the mold. What might be the issue? 

I sprayed the paint and made swirls by hand using a foam brush. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the shine. I am almost certain tempering was right

Thanks

IMG_5879.jpg

Likely the white chocolate put in behind was not warm enough.

• Like 1