• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

kevnick80

6 hours ago, A Polderman said:

I recently saw a video that Andrey posted in which he did do as @teonzo stated and filled two cavities with chocolate 2/3  full and placed a popsicle style stick within creating a mask that could be moved to each cavity of the mold to spray.

what I haven't figured out is how the iris and cornea were completed??

I looked at all of his recent Instagram videos and didn't see it there. Do you recall where it was posted?

17 minutes ago, keychris said:

honestly I don't have time in my life to spray moulds two cavities at a time 🤣

Ha,  it's still faster than my one at a time 😆

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Haha 2

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:58 AM, Jim D. said:

I looked at all of his recent Instagram videos and didn't see it there. Do you recall where it was posted?

Sorry I was not able to find the video I had seen before but I did find this one that is the same concept.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

(as a nubie) there was an earlier post about not being able to get tape to stick to a mold.  What if you were to coat the underside of the mask with a very thin layer of coco butter, warm and apply.  Then if it sticks too well hit it with a heat gun just enough to peel it loose.

2 hours ago, liderbug said:

(as a nubie) there was an earlier post about not being able to get tape to stick to a mold.  What if you were to coat the underside of the mask with a very thin layer of coco butter, warm and apply.  Then if it sticks too well hit it with a heat gun just enough to peel it loose.

I use this tape; never had a fail, nor needed a heat gun!

5 hours ago, liderbug said:

Heating very thin layers of cocoa butter even a little will throw the temper out and you either won't get the cocoa butter off the mould or it won't be shiny. I wouldn't have a heat gun anywhere near cocoa butter in moulds.

6 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Did you intend to link to a source for the tape?

Oh damn, I thought I had:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IIAI9DI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JJH1FL8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm sure they can be sourced worldwide, and maybe this one as well:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VTDYTR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Philip

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 4:42 PM, keychris said:

Heating very thin layers of cocoa butter even a little will throw the temper out and you either won't get the cocoa butter off the mould or it won't be shiny. I wouldn't have a heat gun anywhere near cocoa butter in moulds.

I agree wholeheartedly. Having learned the hard way.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Louise nadine brill said:

I agree wholeheartedly. Having learned the hard way.

I was visiting a company today to clean up their EZtemper - they were having trouble with colored cocoa butter sticking to their molds - I reviewed all the usual suspect - then saw the one fellow waving the colored molds over the heat gun before he filled them. I don't think he believed me when I told him that was likely his problem. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I was visiting a company today to clean up their EZtemper - they were having trouble with colored cocoa butter sticking to their molds - I reviewed all the usual suspect - then saw the one fellow waving the colored molds over the heat gun before he filled them. I don't think he believed me when I told him that was likely his problem. 

I had been told to do that in the past, but only on clean molds. I stopped bothering unless my kitchen and molds are realllllllly cold.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Of course he did.  What do you know about chocolate and the EZtemper 🙄

Don't ya just love it when people ask for help, but swear it just CANNOT be them that is causing the problem?

7 hours ago, keychris said:

I had been told to do that in the past, but only on clean molds. I stopped bothering unless my kitchen and molds are realllllllly cold.

The only time I use a heat gun on a mold is to run it over the tops of filled caramels as I prepare to seal them. I'm not at all sure this does any good at stopping caramel leakage, but now it's become a superstition. The theory, of course, is that it slightly melts the edges of the shell to make it adhere better to the chocolate that's about to be ladled over it. I did, however, see a worker at The Chocolate Lab in Alberta, Canada, heating the tops of all molds before capping them.

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Arghhh! I think people get confused about when it is actually ok to wave your heat gun over your moulds.

1.) When you clean them to remove additional residue . 

2.) If your kitchen is cold a quick shot before adding cb to warm them slightly

3.) As Jim mentioned to warm edges when capping for better adhesion/sealing.

I am still very cautious about when to deploy the heat gun as it can so easily go wrong once cb is in the mould. Using it for capping needs to be done with a delicate hand...again, learned the hard way 😬😬🙄🙄

P.S. EZ Temper has saved my sanity on many, many occasions - best piece of equipment that i own!

• Like 2

On 12/3/2019 at 6:22 AM, keychris said:

I was thinking about this just the other day. I read in the Grewling book(?), that the mould should be like 26° or something when your pour chocolate into it, not to chock the chocolate - but how the hell are you supposed do handle that if you've painted the mould. I guess you shouldn't? :D Or have a heat cabinet at 26°. Haha. No I don't know, just something I thought about.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 3:08 AM, pastrygirl said:

when I try this the paint goes to the sides and the middle stays empty. would the paint he uses be much thicker? maybe less cocoa butter more paint powder? or a mixture of chocolate?

1 hour ago, hvea said:

when I try this the paint goes to the sides and the middle stays empty. would the paint he uses be much thicker? maybe less cocoa butter more paint powder? or a mixture of chocolate?

Try holding the airbrush farther away from the mold and/or reducing the air pressure. But, for those of us who took Andrey's online course, this proved to be a very difficult technique. I was so frustrated by it that I had someone film me while I made multiple attempts, then sent the video to Andrey, who critiqued it and made suggestions, but all to no avail. I had a few successes but definitely not enough to make the technique something I could use in actual production. It takes a lot of practice and maybe luck (having the two cocoa butters at the right consistency and temperature). You can read much more about this issue in this thread about the Dubovik course.  For perspective on such issues, it may be useful to know that Andrey does not produce chocolates; he creates decorative designs, one mold at a time. In response to a question from a student who asked about pricing issues, Andrey replied that he didn't really know as he had never sold a chocolate!

• 2 weeks later...