• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

kevnick80

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

What do you use to get the triangle shape?  or is this a secret?  I am an aspiring hobby chocolate hobbiest.

Hello to you Chocoguyin Pemby.

I used, as gfron1 has said, masking tape.

Specifically, this stuff https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009OZ7KUA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, Tommy_C said:

No matter how hard I tried, I never did such a beauty ... I never know what the problem is. Although I myself am already a pastry chef with experience, I write a lot about food ( https://speedypaper.app/ ), but these cakes do not want to give in to me.

Cakes?

21 minutes ago, keychris said:

I wouldn't click that link for any money, sorry.

It's all about getting someone else to do your university papers for you.

• Haha 1

Back in 1997, I was tasked to purchase cup-cakes with icing and '25 years' written on them; to commemorate the length of time our organisation had been in existence. It was done by lasers, with no detrimental effect on the cake and icing. So, maybe the same technique is still being used? Or, maybe not...

3 hours ago, felipetruji said:

Any idea on how to make a logo like this?

85ec52b0301cf8adbe7c771648492eec--luxury-chocolate-chocolate-gifts.jpg

As far as I can tell from other pictures online - these are actually individually wrapped in paper with the logo on the paper. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, felipetruji said:

Any idea on how to make a logo like this?

85ec52b0301cf8adbe7c771648492eec--luxury-chocolate-chocolate-gifts.jpg

You can have custom transfer sheets made and apply them to your chocolates. Have a look at this link for more information http://shop.chocotransfersheets.com/custom-transfer. There are several companies that offer this service. @Kerry Beal has made her own custom transfer sheets and she has given demos of the process at several of our eGullet Chocolate & Confection workshops.

11 hours ago, curls said:

You can have custom transfer sheets made and apply them to your chocolates. Have a look at this link for more information http://shop.chocotransfersheets.com/custom-transfer. There are several companies that offer this service. @Kerry Beal has made her own custom transfer sheets and she has given demos of the process at several of our eGullet Chocolate & Confection workshops.

I used the company linked above a couple years ago to do transfer sheets with the logo for the medical practice I am a partner in, and they did a great job and prices were quite reasonable. The process was easy - I did a single color, and just sent them an image of the logo and a sample of the color I wanted.

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0929.JPG

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:58 AM, tikidoc said:

I used the company linked above a couple years ago to do transfer sheets with the logo for the medical practice I am a partner in, and they did a great job and prices were quite reasonable. The process was easy - I did a single color, and just sent them an image of the logo and a sample of the color I wanted.

I just dont like the look of transfer sheets on the finished bombon specially for branding, IMO they look cheap compared to hand painted bombons.

I have to make some bombons like the ones in the picture above, I´m gonna try some techniques and post the results.

Was hopping that someone has the expirience of how to do them (or waht doesn´t work) to lead me in the right direction! 

If nothing works ill have to do transfers! (i don´t have magnetic molds tho)

On 10/7/2018 at 4:35 PM, ptw1953 said:

Many thanks to gfron1 for his demo;  I will attempt the technique when I am confident enough.

Granite and Gold...

Philip

Granite and Gold....jpg

Very nice design. It is similar to the one you did (and very kindly explained to everyone) with black and a gold stripe. But in this case the black appears not to be splattered but applied some other way--it looks like little curlicues of black from a pastry bag. But that sounds incredibly complex.

1 hour ago, Lisa Shock said:

To me, the white appears to have been spattered on first, then black painted on. It's just filling the spaces left by the white.

5 minutes ago, keychris said:

yeah, I'm with Lisa - apply the tape, spatter white, spray black, remove tape, spray copper.

I think you two are probably correct. I have never been very good at explaining optical illusions.

8 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I think you two are probably correct. I have never been very good at explaining optical illusions.

Jim,

Lisa and Chris are spot on; white splattered on, black hand painted on, tape removed and then gold hand painted on.

All my offerings are only hand painted because I view using my compressor, and Paasche airbrush, as a baby would; not a scooby-doo of how to use them. Soon going to be searching YouTube for instructions I can understand.

I have, though, made a jig for ensuring that I get a very pointed arrow shape when cutting the tape, and I'm in the process of making another jig to place the arrows correctly, and repetitively, into the moulds...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, vtoselli said:

Evening guys.
I have a question regarding cocoa butter temperature.
Which temperature you guys work with when using spray gun/hand painting?
Having some trouble when coating the molds, it doesnt set very well.
thx very much!

I aim for 86F/30C and make sure it is in temper.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rajala said:

Not sure to ask, feels stupid do create a new thread...

Matcha ganache? What kind of ratios do you guys use? I have no idea how much matcha I should have in a white chocolate ganache.

My recipe is easy. I make a normal ganache, then throw all the matcha in the bin, because matcha tastes like the devil's... Let's just say it doesn't taste nice and leave it there 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 6