• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

kevnick80

1 hour ago, ptw1953 said:

Oh well, here I go...and not one the same as the other!

Very nice. Did you use white chocolate or white cocoa butter?  My first attempt was not nearly so successful. In an experiment, a dark green (cocoa butter only) dendrite showed up fine against milk chocolate behind it, but in real production, the dendrite gets mostly lost. I think there has to be a background contrasting with the dendrite color (as in your case) for this to be successful, and I should have realized that. 

20 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Very nice. Did you use white chocolate or white cocoa butter?  My first attempt was not nearly so successful. In an experiment, a dark green (cocoa butter only) dendrite showed up fine against milk chocolate behind it, but in real production, the dendrite gets mostly lost. I think there has to be a background contrasting with the dendrite color (as in your case) for this to be successful, and I should have realized that. 

Yup - 

IMG_2376.thumb.jpg.568f52c552f7b8fdfcbf56fe09730740.jpg

I neglected to take pics of the ones that had even less contrast than these. Ah wait - here's some - just dark chocolate with extra cocoa butter - but black behind.

IMG_2369.thumb.jpg.b4dd81e756bf83413d72fbb1d6f39f54.jpg

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I used white cocoa butter Jim. And from experimentation, I found that, as Kerry and yourself have alluded to, there needs to be a contrasting background colour for the Dendritic effect to be successful; I normally would temper the cocoa butter by heating to 40 degrees centigrade, then shaking and using, but found that the Dendritic effect, at that temperature, was hit and miss. So once het up to 40 degrees, I shook the bottle, and let it sit for circa 20 minutes, then used it. The results are in the above photo. My favourite colour to use is silver on a black background. It is there, but not in your face as per the above photo, which is white on a 54% chocolate shell. The subtle effect shown on Kerry's photo is what I am aiming for...

Philip

10 minutes ago, tikidoc said:

What are you guys using for the piece you put in the mold to create the effect? I used the popsicle stick in the molding compound and the stick comes out.

I used the same thing, and with the first clay "stamp" I used, the stick came out after just a few times. After that, I removed the stamp from the cavity with the aid of a small knife inserted slightly into the side of the clay, and that solved the problem.

25 minutes ago, tikidoc said:

What are you guys using for the piece you put in the mold to create the effect? I used the popsicle stick in the molding compound and the stick comes out.

For my mould, I used acrylic (or glass) balls, 30mm in diameter. Got them from Taiwan; delivered to Scotland in 6 days...

34 minutes ago, ptw1953 said:

For my mould, I used acrylic (or glass) balls, 30mm in diameter. Got them from Taiwan; delivered to Scotland in 6 days...

That is interesting because I thought that in order to get the spreading of the cocoa butter/chocolate to make the dendrite, whatever is used for the "stamp" had to come into close contact with the cavity wall (as an artist might make a dendrite by pressing two sheets of glass together with paint between them).

2 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

That is interesting because I thought that in order to get the spreading of the cocoa butter/chocolate to make the dendrite, whatever is used for the "stamp" had to come into close contact with the cavity wall (as an artist might make a dendrite by pressing two sheets of glass together with paint between them).

Exactly right Jim. I use two moulds; 1 x 25mm demisphere and 1 x 30mm demisphere, and I use 25mm glass balls and 30mm glass balls in them. They are tight fitting, and the results are as you see above. Need to work further on my technique and timings though...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tikidoc said:

Next batch I’m going to use golf tees

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Next batch I’m going to use golf tees

That's what I did and it worked, but for my dome molds (not half spheres) the suction was so great i was afraid that they were going to pull out. They didn't but there was some give.

6 hours ago, gfron1 said:

That's what I did and it worked, but for my dome molds (not half spheres) the suction was so great i was afraid that they were going to pull out. They didn't but there was some give.

I’m planning to put them in backwards - golf ball side down so there is more surface area buried. Though don’t know if that will help.

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

I’m planning to put them in backwards - golf ball side down so there is more surface area buried. Though don’t know if that will help.

I am in the process of doing exactly this with a heart shaped mould the I have (thank you for the tip about using golf tees). My father-in-law just delivered a dozen tees to me. Will update on the outcome after the 24hours drying time is over...

16 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

That's what I did, but there still seemed to be some give due to the elasticity.

I'm at a Coppel workshop right now and I asked her to show me her pinstripe technique. Here's hers:35082589_Screenshot_20180918-2051352.thumb.png.6e5434ce91f996a09b853998c1791043.png

I was limited by colors and time but I know what needs to be done now. Here's mine:

IMG_20180918_173106.thumb.jpg.5e66c6ad638de487cf4e10f290c1b735.jpg

Just the left row. I didn't have time to do the rest.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, keychris said:

she doesn't mask off those triangles in every single cavity does she? That would be a crazy amount of work.

It is a crazy amount of work and only for show, not production. Her assistant told me that they made 200 for an event and it took the two of them hours to do the work.  I spent 30 minutes on just 10 cavities and they turned out mediocre at best.

• Like 1