• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

kevnick80

Speaking of The Chocolate Lab, on his Instagram Q&A there's a video of the drip and shoot air technique using a mix of CB & water.  This rocked my world!  I can see how that would lead to super cool effects, but how do you get rid of the water, just let air dry?

6 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Speaking of The Chocolate Lab, on his Instagram Q&A there's a video of the drip and shoot air technique using a mix of CB & water.  This rocked my world!  I can see how that would lead to super cool effects, but how do you get rid of the water, just let air dry?

Or blow more?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, gfron1 said:

not sponged, not brushed, no air brush, and they say it can be done easily in a full production kitchen

I have no idea how it's done, not even a guess, but I'd sure like to find out. While everybody else is pushing forward gathering the unique and complicated techniques, I'm plodding along a couple days behind picking up the easier stuff that was tossed aside for something more fancy. It'd be kinda nice to pick up something that looks like it was tossed in the easy pile by mistake.  :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

7 hours ago, gfron1 said:

New techniques are exploding right now! Most seem to be coming from ChocolateLab, Dubovic or Vincent. Thoughts on this one from ChocolateLab that says - not sponged, not brushed, no air brush, and they say it can be done easily in a full production kitchen.

I'm totally old school when it's up to chocolate bonbons' aesthetics, my experience is on enrobed/dipped bonbons, so my experience about these kinds of decorations is almost null.

My uneducated guess is that they used a similar method to the multiple pastry bags. If you insert 2 or more disposable pastry bags into another empty disposable pastry bag, then you can pipe out something with 2 or more colours at the same time. In this case I suppose they used a good amount of pipettes, each one filled with a different coloured cocoa butter, each one activated at the same time (probably electronic pipettes?). This way you get multiple colored drops falling at the same time in the cavity, then you apply some compressed air (I suppose with a good dispersion) and hopefully it works. If it's made this way, it should be pretty quick. I repeat, this is just my guess.

Teo

Teo

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I have no idea how it's done, not even a guess, but I'd sure like to find out. While everybody else is pushing forward gathering the unique and complicated techniques, I'm plodding along a couple days behind picking up the easier stuff that was tossed aside for something more fancy. It'd be kinda nice to pick up something that looks like it was tossed in the easy pile by mistake.  :D

The technique may be easy (I am not totally convinced of that), but if you look at the number of colors involved, that involves a lot of preparation and a lot of juggling to keep multiple cocoa butters in temper at once.

5 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

The technique may be easy (I am not totally convinced of that), but if you look at the number of colors involved, that involves a lot of preparation and a lot of juggling to keep multiple cocoa butters in temper at once.

I was thinking that, too. I can imagine doing this "for production" if you have a team of employees to help. In my brain, everyone has their own tool to apply a blob of color, and everyone has their own color assigned. And they do it in an assembly line fashion.

3 minutes ago, Sweet Impact Mama said:

I was thinking that, too. I can imagine doing this "for production" if you have a team of employees to help. In my brain, everyone has their own tool to apply a blob of color, and everyone has their own color assigned. And they do it in an assembly line fashion.

One would need Oompa Loompas!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

One would need Oompa Loompas!

I told the kid a while back that she was going to be my designated Oompa Loompa. That she doesn't even have to help with the chocolate as long as she sings the song any time anybody stops by. She was less than impressed with the idea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

5 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

gotta check out what the Chocolate Lab has been playing with today! Go watch the stories - it’s brilliant - it’s science! 

I watched it! But I'm trying to figure out how the baking soda and vinegar don't screw up the cocoa butter colors and finish.

2 minutes ago, Sweet Impact Mama said:

I watched it! But I'm trying to figure out how the baking soda and vinegar don't screw up the cocoa butter colors and finish.

He's just playing. He doesn't use this method in production - just wanted to see how it would fly. But if there was a workaround to the flavor of the acid and base it might just be a viable decorating method. And if not it would still be fun!

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

He's just playing. He doesn't use this method in production - just wanted to see how it would fly. But if there was a workaround to the flavor of the acid and base it might just be a viable decorating method. And if not it would still be fun!

Right. I saw that. Just wondering if this wasn't a variation on the color magic they'd done earlier this week.

20 hours ago, Sweet Impact Mama said:

Right. I saw that. Just wondering if this wasn't a variation on the color magic they'd done earlier this week.

...the technique that they told us they would explain but never did as far as I can tell.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ptw1953 said:

My first attempt...

Black and Gold.jpg

@ptw1953. for someone who--just a few months ago--identified himself as a "wannabee" chocolatier, I think it's safe to say that you should drop the qualifying adjective. Any hints on how you accomplished this beautiful and elegant design (which, to my eye at least, is as good as the original)?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jim D. said:

@ptw1953. for someone who--just a few months ago--identified himself as a "wannabee" chocolatier, I think it's safe to say that you should drop the qualifying adjective. Any hints on how you accomplished this beautiful and elegant design (which, to my eye at least, is as good as the original)?

Jim, your words are so kind, and I thank you for them. They give me a huge lift.

The mould was not at all difficult to prepare; 10mm tape across the middle of the mould,  spatter with tempered black cocoa butter ( I used a toothbrush) and put into the fridge for 10 minutes, then bring back up to 20 degrees centigrade (in my kitchen now, it is 27c), remove the tape and hand paint the mould with tempered gold cocoa butter; et voila...

@gfron1 gave me the temperatures to temper my cocoa butter too, which made a huge difference, compared anything else I have attempted to mould.

I am, most certainly, a wannabee, and I hope that continues to be the case for as long as I am able to wake up in the morning.

This site is full of the most inspirational people...

Philip

• Like 3