• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

kevnick80

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Link sent to me yesterday by chocolatier friend in Manchester - here

You could make some very interesting moulded bon bons with that technique! No tape needed and some detailed designs. 

No, I do not expect an answer and I understand completely why I won't get one... I know full-well that this is from an online course that is not free that several here are currently taking part in. But with all the impudence that I can muster...

galaxy321.jpg

In all honesty, I wouldn't need the answer even if I could have it. I'm quite sure that's above my skill level. But I felt like somebody had to be the smartass that asked. :P :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

12 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

No, I do not expect an answer and I understand completely why I won't get one... I know full-well that this is from an online course that is not free that several here are currently taking part in. But with all the impudence that I can muster...

galaxy321.jpg

In all honesty, I wouldn't need the answer even if I could have it. I'm quite sure that's above my skill level. But I felt like somebody had to be the smartass that asked. :P :D

I could tell you - but then I'd have to kill you!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

galaxy321.jpg

Excellent close-up! These are extraordinarily beautiful, Kerry! (Now I'm going to have to see if I can figure out how to get close to that result through experimentation. :D

4 hours ago, Bentley said:

Not a bon bon but I am curious how these eclair toppers are made....is it an edible ink printer?

Yes - it's a transfer made on an edible ink printer.

Custom made transfer sheets on white chocolate...then a slight curve to conform to the eclair shape...that technique has been around for quite a few years for eclairs...I think Christophe Adams made it famous with his Mona Lisa prints on his eclairs..

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yes - it's a transfer made on an edible ink printer.

On 4/19/2018 at 10:33 AM, pastrygirl said:

This is not one that I'm eager to replicate, but still one that I can't figure out what tool(s) they used ...

Some of the scratches are centered in the white but then there are white lines without scratches.  Parallel lines

make me think dipping fork, but the scale is wrong and who would do that to their molds? 

5ad8d1a1e9489_ScreenShot2018-04-19at10_25_49AM.png.dd7ee2f517ec91d2db1309fd89f810a6.png

Ok, I am just guessing here, but, if you use a calligraphy pen or a real quill, you sometimes get that empty line in the middle. (I've been practicing since the 1970s.) I think someone here used a split calligraphy nib with fairly liquid white cocoa butter. This would also explain the curvy-ness of the lines themselves and how, if you look at one line at a time, one end has glob of cocoa butter on the tip and the other end trails off with less. It just looks like messing around with a calligraphy pen and ink that was too thick. In particular, it looks like they were using a fairly fine cut tip like you'd use for uncials, not a pointed tip and not one of the thick writing tips that has a circle on the end.

4 hours ago, Avachocolate said:

Custom made transfer sheets on white chocolate...then a slight curve to conform to the eclair shape...that technique has been around for quite a few years for eclairs...I think Christophe Adams made it famous with his Mona Lisa prints on his eclairs..

I think it might be on fondant rather than white chocolate in this particular picture. I know @Alleguede has done this for some special occasion eclairs - but it gets expensive quickly!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Ok, I am just guessing here, but, if you use a calligraphy pen or a real quill, you sometimes get that empty line in the middle. (I've been practicing since the 1970s.) I think someone here used a split calligraphy nib with fairly liquid white cocoa butter. This would also explain the curvy-ness of the lines themselves and how, if you look at one line at a time, one end has glob of cocoa butter on the tip and the other end trails off with less. It just looks like messing around with a calligraphy pen and ink that was too thick. In particular, it looks like they were using a fairly fine cut tip like you'd use for uncials, not a pointed tip and not one of the thick writing tips that has a circle on the end.

Wouldn't that scratch your molds?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think it might be on fondant rather than white chocolate in this particular picture. I know @Alleguede has done this for some special occasion eclairs - but it gets expensive quickly!

@Kerry Beal Have never seen it done with fondant...I guess these days everything is possible with the right technology (and wallet...)..lol

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Avachocolate said:

@Kerry Beal Have never seen it done with fondant...I guess these days everything is possible with the right technology (and wallet...)..lol

Actually just clarified with him - it prints onto rice paper (same stuff that I had for my transfer molds that never really worked out for me with the printer), then transferred onto fondant or white marzipan. He says eclair du genie prints directly onto white marzipan then covers with neutral glaze to get that shine. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Wouldn't that scratch your molds?

The metal type might unless you used a light hand. I don't think a genuine quill pen would scratch. Also, once you know how to cut a quill, you can cut other things, like paper drinking straws, to write with.

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Actually just clarified with him - it prints onto rice paper (same stuff that I had for my transfer molds that never really worked out for me with the printer), then transferred onto fondant or white marzipan. He says eclair du genie prints directly onto white marzipan then covers with neutral glaze to get that shine. 

Cool....learned something new today :-)

Thanks for investigating that....

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 9:05 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Do you know what kind of machine would be used for this?   

Hi there,  I'm Dean.

i'm a newbie when it comes to chocolate making.

what i want to know is not particularly about design

but how to get bonbons as shiny as those in the picture..
I've seen a lot of bonbons from other chocolatiers,

but i'm always amazed how Andrey's are THAT shiny.

I know that polishing molds with cotton balls would help.. but that's about it.

Do i have to spray the surface with cocoa butter first or something?

Thanks guys. :)

PS. Here is a clip i stumbled across for the marbled effect similar to Monde Du Chocolat's bonbons.

Hope it helps! https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ6ONCgl5gW

So shiny it hurts my eyes.JPG

58 minutes ago, DeanTheBaker said:

yes, polish 'til your fingers bleed, then spray with ... looks like 3 or 4 colors of cocoa butter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeanTheBaker said:

There's a few of us taking a class with him right now. Get temps perfect including your room; he doesn't polish although occasionally he cleans with alcohol - he does NOT polish with cocoa butter. And he does a lot with opaque colors.

• Like 2

I have a question about polishing molds with cotton balls/pads and alcohol. I seem to get a lot of left over fluff in my mold cavities from my cotton. Are there levels of quality of cotton pads (I’m using the cheap store brand)? Would a lint free cloth work better, do you think? Am I the only one who experiences this?

20 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

I have a question about polishing molds with cotton balls/pads and alcohol. I seem to get a lot of left over fluff in my mold cavities from my cotton. Are there levels of quality of cotton pads (I’m using the cheap store brand)? Would a lint free cloth work better, do you think? Am I the only one who experiences this?

Happens to me too but usually only when I try to be cheap and get more out of one pad than I probably should. If I switch them out as soon as they start looking a little ragged, it usually doesn't happen.

Edit: Ok, just realized you said "cotton balls/pads and alcohol"... I've never actually done that. I just use the dry pads.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I like OR tapes (aka lap sponges) for polishing - lint free, soft, non scratching. 

Lap sponges

I've also used suede like microfiber purchased from a fabric store. 

Microfiber polishing cloth

• Like 4