• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

kevnick80

15 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

(I can't quite figure out what it is--looks like part of a ballpoint pen) to allow it to do splattering.

Think it might be a hypodermic syringe.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

41 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Think it might be a hypodermic syringe.

It is a cut-down barrel from a ballpoint pen.  The original video is from the instagram of Salvatore Martone - pastry chef at Joel Robuchon in las Vegas. 

Edited by Bentley (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bentley said:

It is a cut-down barrel from a ballpoint pen.  The original video is from the instagram of Salvatore Martone - pastry chef at Joel Robuchon in las Vegas. 

Thanks. So it is.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

That was a great video - thanks for posting. A few notes that I took. First, rapping the tray with a wooden rolling pin. Brilliant since I have so many marrings from rapping my drywall spat. Second, Piping the backing on. Not sure if I have the patience, but very smart and I'm sure this is more common than I know. The technique at 11:45 is so simple yet so stunning. I will totally rip that off! Lastly, the snipped ballpoint pen - I'm going to give that a try on my crescendo on my next round. I do hate seeing all the cocoa butter waste, but I'm sure these were all larger operations.

If I were to need to try that dripping from the bottle, blowing with the empty airbrush to splatter - I'd have to have a new piece of parchment under for each colour in order to reclaim the cocoa butter. That much waste would drive me nuts. Makes me appreciate my Fuji which lets me splatter directly by just turning down the airflow.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Lastly, the snipped ballpoint pen - I'm going to give that a try on my crescendo on my next round. I do hate seeing all the cocoa butter waste, but I'm sure these were all larger operations.

I plan to give that a try as well. If you do, it would be great to have photos or a description of what you did. The video moves so fast that it is difficult to decipher exactly how it was done. If I seem a little obsessed about achieving splatter, it's because I am. When I bought the Grex airbrush, I was told it could do splatter and indeed saw successful samples, but it turns out that works only for paint, not cocoa butter. I was planning to get a Fuji until I saw it in action in Las Vegas--it's just overkill for me. The spraying of cocoa butter dripped from a bottle is very erratic in its success, though I suppose, like everything else, one gets better with practice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

The technique at 11:45 is so simple yet so stunning. I will totally rip that off!

It is nice... but they didn't actually show us how they did it and I'm apparently not smart enough to figure it out just by seeing the result.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I was planning to get a Fuji until I saw it in action in Las Vegas--it's just overkill for me.

I was an early adopter and finally sold it for that very reason. I found it much more useful for velvet effect-ing my entremets than my chocolates.

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

It is nice... but they didn't actually show us how they did it and I'm apparently not smart enough to figure it out just by seeing the result.

Very simple - brushed color, 1/6 turn, brushed color, 1/6 turn...on and on using just the right colors to create the iridescence.

3 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Even when using the handle, not the blade?

I use both. I know its bad, but depends on my control for the day.

12 hours ago, Jim D. said:

All it requires is a trip to a slightly expensive restaurant in Las Vegas or, in the case of the some of the techniques I recognized, to Savour school in Australia!

Well if that's all...

12 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Rob has it right....but here is a video of Susanna Yoon at Stick With Me Sweets in NYC making these Bon Bons from start to finish...the painting is at about 0:46.  

http://www.instyle.com/videos/stick-with-me-sweets-how-to-make-bonbons

Edited by Bentley (log)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bentley said:

Rob has it right....but here is a video of Susanna Yoon at Stick With Me Sweets in NYC making these Bon Bons from start to finish...the painting is at about 0:46.  

This answered my question of whether they sprayed a white or black coating after the colored brush strokes - no, they just pour the shell and still kept those colors.

20 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Very simple - brushed color, 1/6 turn, brushed color, 1/6 turn...on and on using just the right colors to create the iridescence.

Makes sense. It didn't look that simple in the pictures, it looked like some colors were slashing through parts of other colors causing almost a semi-latticed look in small areas. Glad to hear it's something simple after all.

12 hours ago, Bentley said:

Thanks for that!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

5 hours ago, gfron1 said:

This answered my question of whether they sprayed a white or black coating after the colored brush strokes - no, they just pour the shell and still kept those colors.

Titanium in the colour ftw :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Bentley said:

That looks to me to just be overlapping  finger swipes .  Finger swipe one color, let it crystalize, then swipe the next color, etc.  

That would be at least 8 swipes from what I see. times 30 cavities x number of trays for an operation as large as them....hmmm...maybe. The distinct lines also make me question whether that's how its done. I can totally see that working, but that would make more sense in a competition where you have a smaller volume that Valentines production.

20 hours ago, Bentley said:

That looks to me to just be overlapping  finger swipes .  Finger swipe one color, let it crystalize, then swipe the next color, etc.  

The squared shape makes me think a paintbrush rather than a finger, but I agree. I think it's only 3 or 4 steps, not 8.  Brush teal, brush white, a bit more thorough with the purple ... mold in dark

The lower left one especially looks like a paintbrush.  I think it's not that many layers, just streaks showing through.

5a7f80aca1dcc_ScreenShot2018-02-10at3_27_24PM.png.b11153b18b874a66d01d15e892f68466.png

• Like 1

You can get that distinct line by putting more pressure on the inside of your finger than the outside

We also know that Susanna is not opposed to tedious designs that take multiple passes - just reference her New York,  NY bonbon from earlier in this thread where she did one brushstroke each of six or so colors.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bentley said:

Here's another one that I am curious about.  I am not even exactly sure about what is going on here.  are there two separate red pieces separated by that black ring or is that black ring just wrapped around the shell?

Looking at some of the other things he's done in the same mold - I wonder if he lays the ring in the mold then does his decoration.

• Like 1