• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

7 minutes ago, liderbug said:

So my news feed had this story - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/korean-american-chocolatier-makes-unique-treats-are-rare-western-shops-n1136996

They look like they have a transparent outer shell - a clear coat?  Daydreaming I'm wondering if I were to fill the mold with cocoa butter and, ?within 3 seconds?, dump.  So that the shell is 1/64" rather than the usual 1/16".  Then chill, then while cold: spray, splatter, swipe, paint - chill again - refill with chocolate at at low temp - 86 deg F ??? and dump quickly.  - Then fill with ...? whisky ganache ? and cap.

So unless someone comes back with "I tried that and it trust me you don't want to even try..." I plan on giving it a shot.

Not sure I know what you are asking? But filling the mold with cocoa butter and dumping out will not give you this shiny look. It's all about polishing and using tempered colored cocoa butter to decorate the molds.

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

3 minutes ago, liderbug said:

So my news feed had this story - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/korean-american-chocolatier-makes-unique-treats-are-rare-western-shops-n1136996

They look like they have a transparent outer shell - a clear coat?  Daydreaming I'm wondering if I were to fill the mold with cocoa butter and, ?within 3 seconds?, dump.  So that the shell is 1/64" rather than the usual 1/16".  Then chill, then while cold: spray, splatter, swipe, paint - chill again - refill with chocolate at at low temp - 86 deg F ??? and dump quickly.  - Then fill with ...? whisky ganache ? and cap.

So unless someone comes back with "I tried that and it trust me you don't want to even try..." I plan on giving it a shot.

Not sure I know what you are asking?