• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

teonzo

teonzo

12 hours ago, EmmMax said:

You mean you dont like trout ganache?

It's just the look... never liked scales, I really hate snakes.

Years ago I made a dual layer bonbon that had a prawn bisque ganache (dark chocolate) and a hibiscus flower ganache (white chocolate), here is the page I made when I had a blog (it's in Italian). Taste was very different than what I expected: the toasted notes of the bisque overlapped with the toasted notes of the dark chocolate, while the "fruity" notes of the prawn overlapped with the hibiscus ones. So it tasted like a weird hibiscus praline and not a fishy praline. You could tell there were prawns, but it was not frontal.

After making them I gave one to various people (separately), without saying what it was, this way:

me "hey, please try this new praline I made and tell me what you think"

people "ok... uhm, it's weird but it tastes fine"

me "so do you like it?"

people "yes, it's good"

me "would you buy it?"

people "yes, I think so"

me "what do you think the flavors are?"

people "I can't say... tell me"

me "it's prawn and hibiscus"

people "...PRAWN???"

me "yes, prawn, the crustacean"

I'm an idiot and didn't carry a camera to record their faces.

Teo

teonzo

teonzo

12 hours ago, EmmMax said:

You mean you dont like trout ganache?

It's just the look... never liked scales, I really hate snakes.

Years ago I made a dual layer bonbon that had a prawn bisque ganache (dark chocolate) and a hibiscus flower ganache (white chocolate). Taste was very different than what I expected: the toasted notes of the bisque overlapped with the toasted notes of the dark chocolate, while the "fruity" notes of the prawn overlapped with the hibiscus ones. So it tasted like a weird hibiscus praline and not a fishy praline. You could tell there were prawns, but it was not frontal.

After making them I gave one to various people (separately), without saying what it was, this way:

me "hey, please try this new praline I made and tell me what you think"

people "ok... uhm, it's weird but it tastes fine"

me "so do you like it?"

people "yes, it's good"

me "would you buy it?"

people "yes, I think so"

me "what do you think the flavors are?"

people "I can't say... tell me"

me "it's prawn and hibiscus"

people "...PRAWN???"

me "yes, prawn, the crustacean"

I'm an idiot and didn't carry a camera to record their faces.

Teo