• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

20 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Very nice. Did you use white chocolate or white cocoa butter?  My first attempt was not nearly so successful. In an experiment, a dark green (cocoa butter only) dendrite showed up fine against milk chocolate behind it, but in real production, the dendrite gets mostly lost. I think there has to be a background contrasting with the dendrite color (as in your case) for this to be successful, and I should have realized that. 

Yup - 

IMG_2376.thumb.jpg.568f52c552f7b8fdfcbf56fe09730740.jpg

I neglected to take pics of the ones that had even less contrast than these. Ah wait - here's some - just dark chocolate with extra cocoa butter - but black behind.

IMG_2369.thumb.jpg.b4dd81e756bf83413d72fbb1d6f39f54.jpg

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

11 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Very nice. Did you use white chocolate or white cocoa butter?  My first attempt was not nearly so successful. In an experiment, a dark green (cocoa butter only) dendrite showed up fine against milk chocolate behind it, but in real production, the dendrite gets mostly lost. I think there has to be a background contrasting with the dendrite color (as in your case) for this to be successful, and I should have realized that. 

Yup - 

IMG_2376.thumb.jpg.568f52c552f7b8fdfcbf56fe09730740.jpg

I neglected to take pics of the ones that had even less contrast than these.