• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canning Jar Lids

Doofa

Q. Can canning jar lids be re-used? I have made a version of " Starbucks Bites" sous vide. First batch of four has been successful. I want to know if the two part preserving jar lids can be re-used or do I need a fresh lid per process. 

TIA....D

For short term storage such as this I reuse the lids. If You are doing serious preserving then new lids are very important. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

For short term storage such as this I reuse the lids. If You are doing serious preserving then new lids are very important. 

Ditto.  I re-use lids if they have NOT been used for canning.  Canning lids (not the rings) can only be used once.

• Like 2

Sous Vide won't give you as strong a vacuum seal as boiling water canning but you aren't really relying on that for storage of a week or two in the fridge. I use fresh lids for preserving most anything that will be at room temperature but used lids if I'm treating it like an open jar of food. This is somewhere in the middle. I would get nervous about egg dishes unsealed for two weeks in the fridge and either use new lids or chuck out any that don't have a vacuum when opened. For a week, I wouldn't worry, personally.

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I don't do any canning (perhaps should) but do use 4 and 6 oz jars for SV and presentation.  I reuse lids and rings and keep a box of new lids lest one of the old ones looks wonky.

• Like 2

When I open a jar of something, I generally replace the ring and flat lid with a plastic one-piece lid (like thisir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B0000BYC4) that's easier for me to deal with.

• Like 4

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

11 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

When I open a jar of something, I generally replace the ring and flat lid with a plastic one-piece lid (like thisir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B0000BYC4) that's easier for me to deal with.

I hope you have better luck with these than I do.   They are not by any means leakproof.   I thought they would be such a great idea but now I will only use them for dry goods.  YMMV. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I hope you have better luck with these than I do.   They are not by any means leakproof.   I thought they would be such a great idea but now I will only use them for dry goods.  YMMV. 

Like Anna, I have not found the plastic Ball lids to be leakproof. Even with dry goods, I've found that the dry goods will go stale after a certain amount of time.

• Like 1

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

WOW. What a fantastic response to my amateur question. Thank you one and all so much. ( I knew that I would get a super response:D) D

I don't can.

I put ball jars in my vacuum sealer (put the lid on, leave the ring loose, vacuum sucks the air out.  The ring keeps the lid in place when air is let in, and you get a good vacuum in the jar.).  I can get five or six cycles out of a lid before it won't hold a vacuum, if I'm gentle when prying the lids off.  About 10 or 15% of the lids supplied with jars won't hold a vacuum when brand new.  I don't think I've had a boxed replacement fail. 

• Like 3

On 5/5/2017 at 11:47 AM, dscheidt said:

I don't can.

I put ball jars in my vacuum sealer (put the lid on, leave the ring loose, vacuum sucks the air out.  The ring keeps the lid in place when air is let in, and you get a good vacuum in the jar.).  I can get five or six cycles out of a lid before it won't hold a vacuum, if I'm gentle when prying the lids off.  About 10 or 15% of the lids supplied with jars won't hold a vacuum when brand new.  I don't think I've had a boxed replacement fail. 

I bought some decent jars that weren't US Ball or Kerr. But, yeah the lids that came with them had several failures. Ball replacement lids are much more successful. Also I think the standard size lids are a bit better than wide mouth although I prefer to use the wide mouth jars.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Tattler canning lids are reusable.

The gaskets can be used in the white plastic storage lids to make them seal well.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Tattler canning lids are reusable.

The gaskets can be used in the white plastic storage lids to make them seal well.

I have seen these lids locally and if I did a lot of canning I think I would be inclined to use them. I just don't do much more than a couple of jars at a time. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog