• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is Noma Mexico worth the $600 price tag? (not to mention airfare+travel expenses)

What are your thoughts on food travel in general?

I've read that dining is becoming a huge main attraction for travelers, and lots of restaurants are now doing international pop ups like Noma.

Do any of you travel exclusively for food or have sampled other tasting menus abroad? What was your experience?

Seems like the intensive labor and craft involved here makes it more than worth it: "Basically, a small army of beautiful and talented people put their hearts into every part of your meal. The entire team is about 140 people serving 70 guests per seating."

Well, keep in mind that for the same $600 you could eat at, say, Quintonil, Pujol, and Biko. Twice. So while I have travelled to Mexico specifically for food, I spent a long weekend doing a combination of street food and fine dining, and definitely did not go for just a single meal. Then again, if you've got that kind of money, I guess there are worse things to spend it on.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I can't put my finger on it but there's something sad about the whole thing and how the region has changed over the last 10 years. 
Places change and evolve, I know. This feels too fast and too much like others imposing their fantasies. 

I'm sure the dinner was wonderful, though. 

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Do you mean a change specific to the Tulum area or to Mexico in general? Do you think something has been taken away, or just added? All of my experience in Mexico is too recent to provide context, but I'd be interested to dig into the change you've perceived.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Tulum in particular. 
When it's a punchline on comedies like Schitt's Creek for where tiresome hipsters go for fun, you know it's changed. 
Mexico City has changed but it still feels like Mexico, just evolved and appreciated. 

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

On the subject of high-end restaurants doing popups far from home base (another example was the Fat Duck moving its entire operations to Melbourne a year or two ago while the Bray site was being renovated), it could be argued that this sort of thing makes it less necessary to travel, or at least travel so far, if you want the experience.  If you're in Europe and want to go to Noma, you'll probably go to the 'real' one; a popup in Mexico is presumably rather easier for patrons from the US to get to.

My wife and I travelled to Spain specifically for dinner at El Bulli, something like eight years ago.  I can't say it was worth it for the restaurant itself (some unfortunate variablity in service and food), but we're still talking about the overall experience.

• Like 2

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

• 3 weeks later...