• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Sparkling Riesling?

Smithy

Over in the Dinner topic, @BonVivant posted an image of a Riesling labeled "Brut".  Now that sounds like something I'd like to try - but I've never seen it.  The cork in the image suggests that it's a sparkling wine.  Is it?

Edited by Smithy
Speling. Ach du lieber. (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It is. If the designation "Brut," the shape of the bottle and the shape of the cork weren't enough, the word "sekt" is. It's the German term used for sparkling wine. If you're looking for Riesling specifically, most come from Germany, but there are a couple of US producers, too.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

It's made the classic way and was cellared for 3 years. I got it from the winemaker's residence, which also doubles as a wine tasting spot, about 50 (?) metres from my lodging. Sparkling Riesling is hard to find. It's not made in large quantities and most remains near its source. That's why I have come here to make my Riesling dream come true!

Everything was closed today but I will be drinking at Toni's soon. (The winemaker's homepage, in German.) All the winemakers in this pretty little village have racks like this out front.

y7snnoZ.jpg

And like this. Another place to get wines and have a tasting directly from the winemaker.

lEA925g.jpg

• Like 1

My day is complete; I've learned something new.  Now I'll just have to find the wine and try some.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Made my Riesling dream come true again yesterday. Walked to the next 2 villages (4km each way) where W.J. Oster winery has a tasting room.

All Riesling. Last 3 on the list are sparkling.

u7fRtWJ.jpg

kREBzsY.jpg

And more Riesling with dinner when I got back to my lodging.

PkmUHmn.jpg

The village where I am staying. Known for being postcard-perfect, having the steepest vineyards in Europe (65 degrees), some of the most exquisite Riesling, a ruin surrounded by vineyards, a river bend that's on every postcard etc.

Chfld76.jpg

• Like 5

Aha! That picture rang bells with me because my husband and I cycled the Mosel on our tandem two years ago. If any of you are planning to explore this area, I highly recommend doing it by bicycle. The path is well-signed and well-mapped, very easy to follow. There aren't many hills to ride; those rise up above you. And there are plenty of easily-accessible lodgings nearby; check out the site bettundbike.de for cycle-friendly overnight accommodations. (The places we stayed had marvelous breakfasts that fueled us almost too well for each day's cycling.)

In many ways, for us riding the Mosel felt very close to home. Which has me wondering whether any of the Finger Lakes wineries do a sparkling Riesling. Must explore that further....

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2