• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kentucky Derby...How do you celebrate?

5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Smarty Jones was bred about 2 miles away from us. A friend's kids played with him as a colt. Beautiful horse. Sweet temperament I'm told.

Barbaro was another local Chester County horse....still brings a tear to my eye.

Thoroughbreds  are temperamental but like pitbulls - total love bugs   - in my experience

• Like 1

We had a customer order a birthday cake  who wanted a Derby theme with a Happy Birthday message and to please include "I'll Have Another" on the cake as well.  Apparently years ago, the birthday boy placed a bet on a horse - a very long shot to win - and of course, the horse won; big payoff.  It comes to light that the wife FORGOT to place the bet 😮 !  I couldn't resist asking if they were still married (yes) and if this is a annual Derby reminder (yes).  I didn't want to do a mean spirited reminder of their missed fortune, so I found a free watercolor image of a horse winning and used that as an edible image with some red roses and the client was happy with it but I so wished I could have seen the reaction when the birthday boy and wife opened the box!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 9/11/2020 at 7:13 PM, scubadoo97 said:

If it deals with the derby, make it quick.  One trick pony 

No! The "ponies" are the calm ones that settle the hot bloods. They have a strong purpose. Seriously - I have never had a mint juel - maybe next year.