• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kentucky Derby...How do you celebrate?

Naftal

"Hay is for horses" flashed into my mind along with the in and out of trend - cooking with hay. Perhaps a fun Derby Day kitchen play idea to salute those 4 legged athletes.  https://www.bonappetit.com/people/chefs/article/carrots-cooked-in-hay-a-recipe-demonstrated-by-puritan-company-chef-will-gilson

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 4:06 PM, Shelby said:

It's getting close to the most wonderful day of the year again!!!

I'm leaning towards making Hot Brown's this year for the first time--if I can get my hands on a turkey breast.  If not, I wonder if it's sacrilege to use chicken?

Hot browns are pretty heavy when you get a plate load. 

You might make an appetizer sized one ?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, heidih said:

"Hay is for horses" flashed into my mind along with the in and out of trend - cooking with hay. Perhaps a fun Derby Day kitchen play idea to salute those 4 legged athletes.  https://www.bonappetit.com/people/chefs/article/carrots-cooked-in-hay-a-recipe-demonstrated-by-puritan-company-chef-will-gilson

In this context maybe Basashi (aka „cherry blossom meat“) ?

Edited by Duvel (log)

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Well … but every race has loosers, no ?

The price paid for some of the losers is way too much to be turning them into burgers. At least not yet…there are other races to be won.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

20 minutes ago, weinoo said:

The price paid for some of the losers is way too much to be turning them into burgers. At least not yet…there are other races to be won.

And stud fees to be earned

ETA: "The only way a thoroughbred is allowed to reproduce is by “live cover”; i.e., horse-to-horse sexual intercourse. Barbaro was never able to become a father; his nagging leg injuries made it dangerous for him to even attempt mounting a mare. The Jockey Club has never allowed artificial insemination" (Jockey Cub is governing body of the breed regiatry)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 1

Zenyatta, the gorgeous mare whose trademark last-to-first move coming out of the final turn was the most thrilling thing I’ve ever watched, has a couple of colts of racing age. I’ve heard nothing of their performance. Had hoped they’d show out like their mama did.

Smarty Jones, on the other hand, has a number of children and grandchildren performing well on the tracks. Right prolific stud he was.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Re: Hot Browns.

May attempt them this year for the family.   Web site for the Brown Hotel is open that the listed recipe is authentic except for the Mornay sauce.   I’m a bit surprised that the mornay is pecorino only, but I’ve never eaten at the Brown Hotel.   Anyone who’s eaten a hot brown willing to say what they thought was in the Mornay?

Thanks

• Like 1

I think you could put any kind of filling in that tasty-sounding crust. I'm thinking goat cheese or ricotta, or spicy pork (carnitas), or Italian sausage, to name but a few. Though I have to say the little Hot Browns sound very appealing. May have to make the original recipe before I start playing around with it. Turkey's a little hard to come by here, but I have some in the freezer from T-Day. None of the other ingredients are a problem.

• Like 2

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

18 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Re: Hot Browns.

May attempt them this year for the family.   Web site for the Brown Hotel is open that the listed recipe is authentic except for the Mornay sauce.   I’m a bit surprised that the mornay is pecorino only, but I’ve never eaten at the Brown Hotel.   Anyone who’s eaten a hot brown willing to say what they thought was in the Mornay?

Thanks

I've had a couple, but never at the Brown. I usually make my Mornay with Gruyere. I think most around here use Swiss. 

• Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the word amazing as I think it is over used - but this was truly amazing, So any reports back on your culinary celebratory food?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I don't like the word amazing as I think it is over used - but this was truly amazing, So any reports back on your culinary celebratory food?

I will be back tomorrow with a report.  Holy s***.  That was the second best race (IMO) to Mine That Bird and Calvin.  WOW.

Great race. No pictures but used up the last of my Hatch chiles to make chicken enchiladas served with pinto beans. 

I may have had a couple of mint juleps. 

• Like 2

That was such a blistering pace…and pretty nice payouts on the exotics.

I watched my exacta coming into the stretch and said to myself - we’re screwed.  Great ride on the 21…talk about weaving through traffic.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Yeah that was AWESOME!  I'm so happy for all of the connections.  I read today that the jockey made like $900 riding on Friday at Belterra in OH--he came in third.  Then, the next day, never having ridden at CHD, he wins the derby and makes like $1.8 million dollars on that ride.  SO cool.

The hot browns were a triumph!  I started in the middle of the afternoon piddling around the kitchen.  There is so much time in-between losing large amounts of money  the races that it worked perfect to shred up all the cheese (while I had the food processor out I did a lot more than I needed just to have it done) etc.

I roasted a half a turkey breast in the CSO using the steam bake setting at 350F for about an hour.  I pulled it at internal temp 160F.

thumbnail_IMG_2337.jpg.6307e929fe4e7a6b9041377ba9d41334.jpg

really juicy

thumbnail_IMG_2338.jpg.b84cadf1e175e4318c10da1ef23865c5.jpg

Made the cheese sauce (I kind of combined these two recipes...having never had one before, we don't know the difference if it was authentic or not lol)

Fried the bacon...toasted and cut the bread etc. and then broiled in the oven until the cheese was bubbly.

thumbnail_IMG_2339.jpg.937c20cf762e386749b6a555ecf58cac.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2340.jpg.bf59ae5c544edb2595843a70fa4acbc8.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2341.jpg.d79785826ccfb35b1313c64e208616ab.jpg

I made the pie that I cannot call Derby Pie for dessert

thumbnail_IMG_2336.jpg.934a4dddc927803025c0f70b0d1c3865.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

I celebrated (on the beach) with boiled shrimp, cold beer and bouncing up and down in my chair as Leon threaded Rich Strike through that pack. And then marveled at what an ill tempered colt he appeared to be after the race. His walker sure loves him, though.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the derby.   All the hoopla and fanfare and they only go around the track once 😳

It is an event with history and prestige, theoretically the best 3 year old thoroughbreds going balls out  (well fillies do run) piloted by the best jockeys. Part of the Triple Crown and the outcome san affect breeding and bloodlines for many future generations  (no comment on the anti racing sentiment - other venues for that). As to distance we still (well I do) get a thrill at watching Usain Bolt's record setting time. . That is what these huge kids give us too.

18 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the derby.   All the hoopla and fanfare and they only go around the track once 😳

There are a bunch of races that day and the previous day known as The Oaks. 

It's held about an hour and a half down the road, but I have no desire to go. I dislike crowds, especially drunk crowds. I do watch it on TV. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 10:23 AM, chileheadmike said:

There are a bunch of races that day and the previous day known as The Oaks. 

It's held about an hour and a half down the road, but I have no desire to go. I dislike crowds, especially drunk crowds. I do watch it on TV. 

Hey, you might run into Flay - he loves Churchill/Lexington.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 7 months later...

It's the moooost wonderful time of the year again!

I have a mind to make hot browns again--haven't made them since this time last year.  Not sure I have turkey though.  

Anyone getting excited yet???

This year seems wide open to me.  Pletcher has three in and Brad Cox has four I think.  Two Phil's intrigues me...

Food plans?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

It's the moooost wonderful time of the year again!

I have a mind to make hot browns again--haven't made them since this time last year.  Not sure I have turkey though.  

Anyone getting excited yet???

This year seems wide open to me.  Pletcher has three in and Brad Cox has four I think.  Two Phil's intrigues me...

Food plans?

We'll be going to a derby day thing at a friends. I'm excited, except for what happened last week.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog