• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kentucky Derby...How do you celebrate?

Naftal

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

The original recipe (click here) has been tweaked by Jacques (in your link).

It's probably better since Beard's version is a little more...uhm, streamlined.

Plus the original linked-to recipe seems to have the very end of the recipe lopped off for some reason (no big loss, really).

I can't wait to try these. Thanks for the post.

• Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 4/28/2021 at 3:17 PM, Shelby said:

I've tried and tried to like mint juleps.  I haven't had one for a few years....maybe I should try again.  They are so festive and pretty.  And the ones they make at the KD--the ones that are like 1000$ a cup --super pretty, but I'll save my money for betting lol.

I don't like mint juleps either. Not at all. Something about that combo just tastes off to me. But I do like Mojitos, which also have mint and can look very pretty. Would that be an OK substitute? 

Or maybe make a Mint Julep Cake? Not sure if this would be great or not -  and even the recipe author said she might do the frosting differently. But I kinda liked the idea. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I don't like mint juleps either. Not at all. Something about that combo just tastes off to me. But I do like Mojitos, which also have mint and can look very pretty. Would that be an OK substitute?

I'm not a fan of mint juleps, but it's not because of the mint. I just don't like bourbon. I'm very happy with mint in my G&T with lime juice and I'm also fond of Israeli lemonade and mint chocolate brownies. So if you make a mojito, cheers! I won't tell, and the horses won't either.

• Haha 1

i'm a big fan of the julep, though i don't bother adding syrup. i stick to bourbon, ice, and mint. metal cup, muddle the mint with a little ice in the bottom, fill the rest with ice, add your bourbon, and stir it until the outside develops frost

i know this isn't the booze thread but: incidentally i tend to woodford reserve for a basic "cheap" cocktail bourbon, makers mark for cooking with bourbon (since you're going to lose most of the distinctiveness of the bourbon in a recipe anyway), and my favourite all time drinking bourbon is this guy:

https://www.kentuckybourbonwhiskey.com/the-whiskeys/noahs-mill/

with that said i haven't had to buy it for a few years and due to the shortages they've taken off the 15 year aged labelling so i'm not sure it's as good as it used to be (not sure it isn't, either, though!)

• Like 3

On 4/28/2021 at 6:17 PM, Shelby said:

I've tried and tried to like mint juleps.  I haven't had one for a few years....maybe I should try again.  They are so festive and pretty.  And the ones they make at the KD--the ones that are like 1000$ a cup --super pretty, but I'll save my money for betting lol.

Happy Kentucky Derby day, Shelby. I thought you’d like this wonderful piece of news that I found on CNN this morning. Apparently according to this there is no reason to put mint in a mint julep. 

“How do I make a mint julep?

You may have to make the syrup overnight if you don't buy it premade, but it really has only three ingredients -- the syrup, the bourbon and the ice.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sunny and warm here today. Exceptional weather for a horse race and associated activities. It's usually raining on the 1st weekend in May.

I had not planned in advance, but if I find some mint I'll have to make a MJ. Mint gets very scarce this time of year.  Woodford Reserve is about 20 minutes from my house. Toured it several times with visiting friends and relatives. Beautiful drive out there through horse country. 

• Like 3

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Happy Kentucky Derby day, Shelby. I thought you’d like this wonderful piece of news that I found on CNN this morning. Apparently according to this there is no reason to put mint in a mint julep. 

“How do I make a mint julep?

You may have to make the syrup overnight if you don't buy it premade, but it really has only three ingredients -- the syrup, the bourbon and the ice.”

Happy Derby Day!!!!  

LOL, I never thought about omitting the mint.........

I still don't know what I'm going to make besides the eggs.  There is so much time between races that it leaves me with lots of time to putter around the kitchen.  

@chileheadmikeGlad the weather is perfect.  Yes...many a derby are in the slop. 

1 hour ago, chileheadmike said:

Sunny and warm here today. Exceptional weather for a horse race and associated activities. It's usually raining on the 1st weekend in May.

I had not planned in advance, but if I find some mint I'll have to make a MJ. Mint gets very scarce this time of year.  Woodford Reserve is about 20 minutes from my house. Toured it several times with visiting friends and relatives. Beautiful drive out there through horse country. 

Make that Bluegrass country ;)

31 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

Well, yeah. But definitely horse country. 

I meant the beautiful grass yiu see the pampered athletes running on in the paddock

16 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Is it just me or did she pour a whole lot more than 2 oz. of bourbon in that glass? This is made worse by the fact that I don't like bourbon, but yikes-- Drink one of those and you will be over the legal limit!

Way more - I thought that was only redeeming part of that drink!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Derby Pie fresh out of the oven :

thumbnail_IMG_0806.jpg.59275ab118d1b5b78a03e50659a080d8.jpg

I used pecans picked from the  tree of a friend of our hunter that he sent us.

Ooohhh, that looks GOOD!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

More fun watching a true pro (at least for the technique)...

Indeed. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Derby Pie fresh out of the oven :

thumbnail_IMG_0806.jpg.59275ab118d1b5b78a03e50659a080d8.jpg

I used pecans picked from the  tree of a friend of our hunter that he sent us.

lmao better be careful, that restaurant is extremely litigious about anyone calling something a derby pie if they didn't make it (i mean imo they can also go eff themselves, of course).

it looks great! i should have bought pecans this week, usually i make one for the weekend.

1 minute ago, jimb0 said:

lmao better be careful, that restaurant is extremely litigious about anyone calling something a derby pie if they didn't make it (i mean imo they can also go eff themselves, of course).

it looks great! i should have bought pecans this week, usually i make one for the weekend.

Oh I had no idea.  I'm sorry!  

Just now, Shelby said:

Oh I had no idea.  I'm sorry!  

no no please don't apologize, they drastically overreach. i just think it's hilarious that they're such fuddies about it. take pride in your derby pie~~

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...

It's getting close to the most wonderful day of the year again!!!

I'm leaning towards making Hot Brown's this year for the first time--if I can get my hands on a turkey breast.  If not, I wonder if it's sacrilege to use chicken?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm leaning towards making Hot Brown's this year for the first time--if I can get my hands on a turkey breast.  If not, I wonder if it's sacrilege to use chicken?

I made one with roasted chicken breast once.  It was good, though very rich.  I liked it a lot better than the mint juleps I made one year!  Nobody could drink those haha.

I just found out that one of the horses running this year is named after what is probably my favorite restaurant.  I don't even know what the horse's odds are, but I am going to slug anybody in my Derby pool that tries to pick that horse over me! 🤣

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Shelby said:

Not sure how traditional they are, but I have seen them made with ham. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I occasionally look at Blood Horse or other sites to start familiarizing myself with the horses. I read this morning that Crown Pride, the Japanese horse, was being schooled in the gate and, being startled by the bell (which they apparently don't use in Japan), "unseated" his rider. The horse was promptly scooped up by the outrider and returned to the gate, where he performed correctly and presumably won't cause trouble on Derby day. 

The number of horses entered every year is a little alarming when you think they're all being gunned out of the gate, trying to position themselves in the pack. I'm always amazed that there isn't a massive pileup. (And I hope I haven't jinxed it by saying that.) There are always horses with very little chance of being in the money, entered for ego reasons, I suspect. At least we won't have Baffert this time around, possibly never. I'm looking forward to a clean race this year. 

Never been a fan of mint juleps. Give me a shot of good tequila instead.

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"