• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kentucky Derby...How do you celebrate?

Naftal

5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Smarty Jones was bred about 2 miles away from us. A friend's kids played with him as a colt. Beautiful horse. Sweet temperament I'm told.

Barbaro was another local Chester County horse....still brings a tear to my eye.

Thoroughbreds  are temperamental but like pitbulls - total love bugs   - in my experience

• Like 1

We had a customer order a birthday cake  who wanted a Derby theme with a Happy Birthday message and to please include "I'll Have Another" on the cake as well.  Apparently years ago, the birthday boy placed a bet on a horse - a very long shot to win - and of course, the horse won; big payoff.  It comes to light that the wife FORGOT to place the bet 😮 !  I couldn't resist asking if they were still married (yes) and if this is a annual Derby reminder (yes).  I didn't want to do a mean spirited reminder of their missed fortune, so I found a free watercolor image of a horse winning and used that as an edible image with some red roses and the client was happy with it but I so wished I could have seen the reaction when the birthday boy and wife opened the box!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/11/2020 at 7:13 PM, scubadoo97 said:

If it deals with the derby, make it quick.  One trick pony 

No! The "ponies" are the calm ones that settle the hot bloods. They have a strong purpose. Seriously - I have never had a mint juel - maybe next year.

• 7 months later...

It's that time of year again!!!!  I've got my PP's printed.  SO excited.  Even though the KD happened a mere 8 months ago, it just wasn't the same.  Glad to have it more normal this year although I think they are only at 40-50 percent capacity and masks are mandatory (who cares!!!  I'd be happy to wear a mask!!)

Anyway.  Food.

Deviled eggs for sure.  What else?  I don't know.  I need to peruse the freezer.  I don't want to make any grocery store runs this week.  I have a box of veggies etc. coming.

There is a horse named Soup And Sandwich that I've had my eye on......maybe that's a sign???

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Soup And Sandwich

Are you not afraid he/she is headed for the glue factory?

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, heidih said:

No!  My mind just settles on Mint Juleps, hats and finger sandwiches . Preferred MJ recipe and glass? Donl' have one of those silver mudding things.   https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/the-greenbriers-mint-julep

I've tried and tried to like mint juleps.  I haven't had one for a few years....maybe I should try again.  They are so festive and pretty.  And the ones they make at the KD--the ones that are like 1000$ a cup --super pretty, but I'll save my money for betting lol.

• Like 1

Do you have mint coming up? I find like having a Margarita fir Cinco de Mayo - somehow it hits the spot. I was born next to Hollywood Park and nearish to Santa Anita so racing culture ticks boxes.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Park_Racetrack    https://www.santaanita.com/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Do you have mint coming up? I find like having a Margarita fir Cinco de Mayo - somehow it hits the spot. I was born next to Hollywood Park and nearish to Santa Anita so racing culture ticks boxes.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Park_Racetrack    https://www.santaanita.com/

I don't but the margarita sounds awesome.

Yep, was super sad when Hollywood Park was no more :( 

18 hours ago, Shelby said:

It's that time of year again!!!!  I've got my PP's printed.  SO excited.  Even though the KD happened a mere 8 months ago, it just wasn't the same.  Glad to have it more normal this year although I think they are only at 40-50 percent capacity and masks are mandatory (who cares!!!  I'd be happy to wear a mask!!)

Anyway.  Food.

Deviled eggs for sure.  What else?  I don't know.  I need to peruse the freezer.  I don't want to make any grocery store runs this week.  I have a box of veggies etc. coming.

There is a horse named Soup And Sandwich that I've had my eye on......maybe that's a sign???

No burgoo?

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

35 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

@Shelby let's hope Soup and Sandwich finishes well. Otherwise I fear for his future.

Nah.  Even if he finishes last, his owners are great.  I won't get further into any discussions like this.

Back to figuring out my menu.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Nah.  Even if he finishes last, his owners are great.  I won't get further into any discussions like this.

Back to figuring out my menu.

Wow - the gray, huh?

A lot of money in that Weber family - and she's a bit of a big deal at the Metropolitan Museum!

How about some sweet onion sandwiches, a favorite for Derby Day of a friend of mine.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Wow - the gray, huh?

A lot of money in that Weber family - and she's a bit of a big deal at the Metropolitan Museum!

How about some sweet onion sandwiches, a favorite for Derby Day of a friend of mine.

LOL Ronnie and I have a saying that if the gray doesn't finish first, it'll finish last --all said in fun.

Off to google sweet onion sandwiches!  

• Like 2

All over the iternet but this one had some interesting ideas and the KD site bourbon pickled peaches on sound like a plan for peach season.   https://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/g2348/kentucky-derby-recipes/   https://www.kentuckyderby.com/party/recipes/dishes

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Shelby said:

I've tried and tried to like mint juleps.  I haven't had one for a few years....maybe I should try again.  They are so festive and pretty.  And the ones they make at the KD--the ones that are like 1000$ a cup --super pretty, but I'll save my money for betting lol.

I don't really like minty drinks that much. Maybe Bloody Marys with lots of horseradish & nice garnishes (shrimp)?

• Like 2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Derby Day is the one day of the year that I drink good bourbon. But I do love

peaches so that bourbon pickled peach recipe sounds interesting.

• Like 2

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

24 minutes ago, weinoo said:

You drink bad bourbon the rest of the time?  If so, why?

Actually I dont drink bourbon on other days. I prefer Single Malt Scotch.

• Like 2

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)