• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kentucky Derby...How do you celebrate?

Naftal

For me, the triple-crown races are sacred dayso.O They are the only days of the year that I drink really good bourbon! And yes, I do really enjoy my bourbon:x So what do you eat/drink in honor of THE event?

• Like 3

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Oh how this brought back some great memories.  I spend many days in Louisville at horse shows and at Churchill Downs, yet never got to the Derby.  But if I did, my menu would feature mint julep's with Maker's Mark, and country ham on buttered biscuits!

• Like 1

Usually, I'll limit myself to Broadbent's country ham and biscuits (but not beaten biscuits, which are a helluva lot of work). I will occasionally make myself a hot brown. I'm not a big bourbon drinker, and I loathe mint juleps.

This year, I'll be on the road, so who knows?

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Usually, I'll limit myself to Broadbent's country ham and biscuits (but not beaten biscuits, which are a helluva lot of work). I will occasionally make myself a hot brown. I'm not a big bourbon drinker, and I loathe mint juleps.

This year, I'll be on the road, so who knows?

I was curious about the Hot Brown, soooooooooooo

http://www.brownhotel.com/dining-hot-brown

• Like 2

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

I've had the hot brown at Churchill Downs. Its good solid diner food. But kind of gross too.  I'd eat it again.

Bourbon?  Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden, and Knob Creek is always available. I had Pappy before it was famous. It was just fine too. Lately the only places I've been able to buy a glass of Pappy is in Canada where it seems under the radar.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

I had Pappy before it was famous. It was just fine too. Lately the only places I've been able to buy a glass of Pappy is in Canada where it seems under the radar.

Bourbon is, as a rule.

You'll find pockets of aficionados in the big cities, and the rednecks get stupid on Jack (not bourbon, I know, but in the same vernacular) but that's pretty much it. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

It's the most wonderful time of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I plan ahead because I don't want my studying/betting to be interrupted.  This year is extra fun because Cinco de Mayo is on Kentucky Oaks day, so Friday will definitely be Mexican food of some sort.  Saturday I'm thinking ribs, but that is subject to change.  I tried to like mint juleps...truly I did, but I just don't.  I'm just not a big hard liquor fan so I'll stick to my wine :) .

The odds on the derby should be phenomenal --there just really aren't any clear stand-outs.  I had a huge day when Calvin rode Mine That Bird and won at 50-1 a few years ago.  I had $100 to win on him.  I always bet on Calvin :) 

• Like 5

Don't know what kind of a year Baffert has had this year, but usually a Baffert horse is a good bet, too. 

I remember the Mine That Bird race. My favorite Derby horse remains Smarty Jones.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

15 minutes ago, kayb said:

Don't know what kind of a year Baffert has had this year, but usually a Baffert horse is a good bet, too. 

I remember the Mine That Bird race. My favorite Derby horse remains Smarty Jones.

Surprisingly, Baffert doesn't have a horse in this year.  Well, unless like 7 horses scratch.  

One thing that is a must are deviled eggs.  I must have deviled eggs on Derby day.  It's a Shelby tradition.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gfweb said:

I've had the hot brown at Churchill Downs. Its good solid diner food. But kind of gross too.  I'd eat it again.

Bourbon?  Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden, and Knob Creek is always available. I had Pappy before it was famous. It was just fine too. Lately the only places I've been able to buy a glass of Pappy is in Canada where it seems under the radar.

Yes!  My preference this time of year is Woodford Reserve :x

• Like 1

It is right down the road from me. But I don't know diddly about horse racing. Our team at work did go to Keenland last fall. 

Probably have a couple of mint juleps and watch the hats on the local news channel.

I lucked into an interview, tasting, and tour of Buffalo Trace a few weeks ago. Wonderful time. We got to speak with their lead chemist for about an hour. Tasted about everything they make, including a couple versions of Pappy. Then a two hour tour of the distillery. I don't think that the two hour tour AFTER all the tasting was a coincidence. Wonderful time and they could not have been more gracious. I bought a big bottle of Eagle Rare that will be perfect for the mint juleps. 

Might have to whip up a hot brown. Or ribs. I dunno yet. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I'll have a drink and NOT watch the derby.

i'm a serious animal lover and happen to believe that horse racing is just another way to abuse animals for fun and profit.

(just my own opinion, I don't hate you for enjoying it.)

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

Pappy.......under the radar....in Canada?!  Hah!

The LCBO has to put on a bloody lottery when they get their shipment.  Last year I got a bottle of the 12, luckily.  This year - nothing.

• Like 1

Just a heads up:  McCraken should be running in the Derby and is owned by a woman here in Kansas.  She named him after the town of McCraken here.  

@robirdstx  I can't wait to hear if you make something special :)   I remembered just a  bit ago that my mom sent me a Derby Pie one year.  Super sweet and super good.

• Like 4

I suspect one could yet order Broadbent's country ham and get it sent premium shipping. Ain't nothing like ham and biscuits for the Derby.Ain't nothing like Broadbent's.clickety

Get the breakfast pieces. Cheaper, and the right size to go in a biscuit.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

Readers may also enjoy checking out this 2005 foodblog for more Derby ideas:

eG Foodblog: zilla369 - Derby Eats, Derby Week: Louisville, KY

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 years later...
32 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Shelby, are you doing anything for this very odd September Derby Day?

Anyone else?

Mint juleps aren't really my thing but maybe I'll make some sort of cocktail with mint since I have quite a lot.

Perhaps mint julep inspired popsicles ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Shelby, are you doing anything for this very odd September Derby Day?

Anyone else?

Mint juleps aren't really my thing but maybe I'll make some sort of cocktail with mint since I have quite a lot.

It really feels extremely ......weird/wrong/upside down etc. to be having Derby Day today, but I'm very grateful for a bit of normal.  A day to forget about how things are right now.  I also hate seeing the stands completely empty.  But, again, I am happy to get to watch my beloved horse racing.  

I've poured a glass of wine...or maybe two by now lol.  I'm trying to decide dinner.  I like watching racing and putzing around the kitchen in-between races.

My favorite derby memory is when Mine That Bird and Calvin Borel won.  One of the greatest rides I've ever seen.  And it didn't hurt that I had bet the farm on him :) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I've poured a glass of wine...or maybe two by now lol.  I'm trying to decide dinner.  I like watching racing and putzing around the kitchen in-between races.

I have made up some burger patties to put on the grill after the races. Gonna have Green Chili Smash Burgers with Fries!

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

I have made Kentucky Hot Browns and served to a houseful back when I lived in Hot Springs, where everybody was seriously into racing. And I'll drink a mint julep, though that's not a good thing to do to bourbon. Milk punch is much better. I also have, somewhere, a Kentucky friend's recipe for Derby Pie.

My favorite Derby winner was Smarty Jones in '04.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

Smarty Jones was bred about 2 miles away from us. A friend's kids played with him as a colt. Beautiful horse. Sweet temperament I'm told.

Barbaro was another local Chester County horse....still brings a tear to my eye.

• Like 3