• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice paper uses

liuzhou

I have, on a whim, picked up some Vietnamese rice paper  - bánh tráng.

Any suggested uses beyond the obvious spring or summer rolls? Doesn't have to be Vietnamese or even Asian.

20170430_145638.thumb.jpg.3407e7f5ee2a3ea1f8ed4a7a38bb76dd.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
added image (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

When we were in Saigon, last year, we saw a few uses - I've been meaning to do some experiments at home, but have not gotten around to it.  In one area, they put the rice papers out on racks either at night, or very early in the morning, and allow the morning dew to soften the rice paper.  They don't get as soft and flexible as if dipped in water, and they have a slight but pleasant chew.  It is great to use as a taco of sorts - add various meats, veggies, herbs, etc. and then dip into some kind of watery (consistency-wise) sauce.  You can also take the slightly softened papers, but them into quarters and deep fry them for a very nice snack.

Now, I think it goes without saying that no one I know is going to go through the effort of trying to soften the papers using the morning dew...  my experiments were going to be to try to mildly steam them in a low temp. steam environment....

ETA: we're going back to Vietnam (central Vietnam this time) in late June/early July - maybe we'll get some ideas then?

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 1

I was in Vietnam (Hanoi) for two days last week (I live a short distance away). I did eat some spring rolls, but didn't go looking for alternative uses. It was only when I got back to China that I decided to buy some, then got thinking.

I suppose, with care, they can be subbed for most wraps. I have deep fried them and steamed them in the past. But they are fragile.

The dew method is interesting, but I'm not sure about inner city dew for breakfast.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

As Kenneth noted they are great for fried rolls. I find them to be one of those use-specific items but always willing to learn. To me they are just a standard part of the wrapping meal

Edited by heidih (log)

@liuzhouExactly - NYC has very clean air for a big city, but I still wouldn't want to moisten them with the dew here!  Plus, living in an apartment with no balcony would make it difficult anyway....  one day I'm going to experiment with the steamer method.