• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Please help me scale up and adapt this recipe

Vijay

Following is a fusion sweet I want to offer in the youth program this Sunday. 

https://youtu.be/QRYmWjPJiz8

Please help how to do below:

I want 350 of such cups. 

condensed milk is the agent that is used in the recipe to stick vermicelli together and to make cups. 

As  I have budget constraints, is there any other substitute cheaper than condensed milk to bind vermicelli together in making cups. 

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

Sorry! I am dropping this idea of recipe. The trial was not at all good. The combination of thick yogurt and vermicelli was not at all matching. 

I came across another recipe. It's eggless bread Pudding. 

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/eggless-bread-butter-pudding-recipe/

I want to make 350 pieces with each piece dimension 2"×2"×2". Can this recipe be scaled up like this? 

My baking tray height is about 2 inches (2"). I have estimated that I require 10 of such trays have to be filled with pudding and baked to reach my number of 350.

My concerns are:

1) Till how much height, the tray can be filled? 

2) Instead of butter can I use margarine? 

Any other versions of bread Pudding  filling available? 

Attached the image of baking tray. 

IMG-20170427-WA0004.jpg

• Like 1

Even though you don't expect an eggless bread pudding to rise, I'd still be leery of filling the pan all the way up to its brim. So if I was you I'd aim for more like a 1.5" thick layer. And despite the name of the recipe, it doesn't actually have that much butter in it. I'd never make the substitution of butter for margarine, but it probably won't kill the recipe. 

• Like 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Thanks Chris. I will follow your advice.

I am little bit tensed as the bakery chef will give me only limited time for baking my stuff as tomorrow is weekend. And by the time I go with the sauce and bread to the bakery at the end of their working day the oven will be too hot. I hope this may not have much impact in terms of quick turning of pudding to brown color. I will stick to the time and also test the pudding baked or not

Edited by Vijay
Poor English (log)

Since mine was a huge number I was afraid to take risk. 

So I made a trial which was shown in the picture here. 

I tasted and it didn't taste good. It is just like a sweet bread. The pudding is bread slices brushed with butter, custard sauce with milk, sugar, custard powder. The height of the filling is about 2". The height of pan is 3". May be my skill is also not adequate to make  a good pudding. 

So I am Switching to the Indian version. I will pan fry the bread slices. Dip in hot sugar syrup. And Topping with Rabri (condensed milk). 

I know avacado Topping but getting huge amounts of ripened avacado is not possible for me in terms of budget. 

Please suggest me Any other desert Topping. 

1493384347566-954379181.jpg

I think you're safe staying away from an avocado topping with this bread pudding; to me it doesn't sound like a good combination.  If you want fruit, would ripe mangoes be a possibility?  What about shredded coconut?  I personally detest coconut, but it's a popular flavor for many people.  

I think a nut topping of some sort would taste better than the fruit topping. Something like the almond topping you're trying to work out in the Almond Paste Topping topic might be very good.

Finally, I think you could consider a simple crumb topping (often called "streusel").  Here are some topics to give you ideas:

Streusel problems (don't let the title scare you; there are a lot of good recipes and suggestions in there)

How do you make a better coffee cake crumb topping?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, Vijay said:

May be my skill is also not adequate to make  a good pudding.

I don't think your skill had anything to do with it -- bread pudding without eggs is going to be basically as you described it. I think your strategy of sticking to the Indian version is probably a good one. I'd think almost any fruit or berry would work as a topping for the version you describe.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org