• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ultra-tex 8 questions, or any better ideas?

Laura H

I am making a no bake key lime pie and have tried with gelatin but don't like the "bouncy" quality it produces.  I tried Ultra-tex 8 and love that it gives a very creamy smooth texture at first.  However, it seems like it changes if exposed to air for any period of time, it gets a sticky and gooey consistency so when you cut the pie the filling is pully and not appealing.  Is there a way to stabilize this?  Is there another thickening direction I should try that would give the same first initial consistency as the Ultra-tex 8?

Is there a preference for the no-bake option? (shape, size, presentation?) Meaning, do you need it to be no bake because of the facility, or it has to be egg free so using the Nellie and Joe's recipe isn't an option -  that might help point us in a direction to guide you. 

I haven't worked with Ultra-tex 8 so I don't have a way to relate to the texture issue.  I thought about a key lime mousse pie, but you might be looking for that sharp lime flavor and then I started to wonder if a modification of a brazilian dessert might be  helpful to you.  You basically take "media cream" (in a can from the latin market, think of something similar to sweetened condensed milk for want of a quick definition) and combine it with passion juice concentrate in a blender. Generally it's a 1 can of cream to 1 can of passion concentrate but you can adjust it to suit your taste. Pour it into cups or verrines and chill for a few hours. I was going to suggest replacing the passion juice with lime juice to see if it might work for you.  

2 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

I haven't worked with Ultra-tex 8 so I don't have a way to relate to the texture issue.  I thought about a key lime mousse pie, but you might be looking for that sharp lime flavor and then I started to wonder if a modification of a brazilian dessert might be  helpful to you.  You basically take "media cream" (in a can from the latin market, think of something similar to sweetened condensed milk for want of a quick definition) and combine it with passion juice concentrate in a blender. Generally it's a 1 can of cream to 1 can of passion concentrate but you can adjust it to suit your taste. Pour it into cups or verrines and chill for a few hours. I was going to suggest replacing the passion juice with lime juice to see if it might work for you.  

Sorry to jump in -- I have a few cans of sweetened condensed milk that did not work for me for ice cream, and an unopened bottle of passion fruit syrup from @feste -- could I use these for making the dessert?

I assume the syrup is sweeter than concentrate, but I trust @feste with getting the flavor right.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I think the syrup might be too sweet and might not set with the SCM; but depending on how much the syrup costs, you could experiment with it. I know when friends of ours mentioned this dessert (they're from Brazil) they were specific about using concentrate from the spanish foods aisle at the grocery store.  Maybe you can try one can of SCM and half a can of the syrup and see what happens!

On 4/28/2017 at 6:57 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The syrup is not inexpensive.  What about using fresh fruit?  Is there any preferred brand of concentrate?

We're talking passion fruit? I prefer Perfect Puree, it is concentrated while some other brands are not. 

On 4/28/2017 at 9:57 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The syrup is not inexpensive.  What about using fresh fruit?  Is there any preferred brand of concentrate?

Then I would definitely not use it for this ;)  The Brazilian friends told me to look for DaFruta bottled passion juice concentrate in the spanish/latin foods (where the soda/juice is) aisle at the grocery store; I know that Goya has a frozen passion puree.  I've only ever tried it with the bottled juice and that's a little thinner than the Perfect Puree so like @pastrygirl says, Perfect Puree will work if you can get it.