• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef Gauntlet

gfweb

God help me, I enjoy Iron Chef. I've missed it late on Sunday nights.

This new thing...where Alton Brown is the "Chairman"...is more than a little bit dopey.

Who in the heck is AB to be judging actual accomplished chefs...moreover with a full load of snark? Wearing thin quickly.

Tonight a chef served AB sooty raw pork and he gave "worst dish" to another chef because theirs was bland. I'm fine with that kind of judging. 

He has developed a snarky persona when dealing with tv chefs, but they can take it. They've no doubt heard worse, and he mainly brings out the snark to call them out on their bs. He knows by now the tv chef tricks and says so. That's for everyone's benefit.

I'll grant that AB has presented himself as an authority when that's not always the case, but he probably knows more about food by now than many professional cooks. And if any of the participating chefs thought AB wasn't up to the job, you can bet they would say so and you can bet it would be a part of the show.

That said, this is not Iron Chef and shouldn't carry the name. It's nowhere close.

Alton Brown is at least a trained cook.

Iron Chef was traditionally "judged" by actresses and writers.

by contrast, he's eminently MORE qualified.

still, it's just silly TV entertainment.

what strikes me suddenly as interesting, after reading weedy's post, is that Alton said he stopped eating Iron Chef food after getting sick from a meal at the beginning, and he didn't want to endanger an episode by allowing that to happen again. Presumably shooting of this version of Iron Chef has made sure this hasn't been a problem. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I think AB is great.  prefer him to the regular 'chairman' (big downgrade from the original Japanese IC Chairman).

I didn't think he was too snarky.

anyone else remember his 'scrap iron chef' from the original Good Eats?  classic.

imho.