• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Switchell

bonkboo

6 hours ago, bonkboo said:

I have a recipe for Switchell that I want to make.  It calls for juicing ginger in a juicer.  Can I use my Vita Mix instead?  I would think so, but hoping to tap into the knowledge base here.

Thanks

Yes and no, the juicer separates juice and "pulp" (Is it called pulp or just fibers when it comes to ginger in english?) the mixer just chopps it finly.
Peel and throw the ginger in your mixer, put the mixed ginger in a clean towel and squeeze out the juice. 
If you don't want to throw the rests you can always use the ginger pulp to make a syrup or flavor some booze (or use it in cooking..).

Just had ginger and honey switchell for the first time 2 weeks ago.  It actually had the finely shredded ginger pulp in it.  I strained it out for Johnnybird and added it back to my glass.  Very refreshing...can't wait to hear how your experiment goes.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites