• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DianaB

Cooking from Meal Kits (Hello Fresh, Purple Carrot, Gousto, and so on)

We've been getting one for awhile now, actually (HomeChef). It got us cooking again, and it's a particularly customizable one,  so it suits us. My husband does the cooking, neither of us love to cook, but we're easily bored with the same ol'. At the same time, we're not super adventurous, plus we have a carboholic child. :)  It does the trick at this stage of our life. 

• Like 4

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

I spent about 2 hours, ironically, researching the meal kit market and reviews and meals available currently. 

Nothing appealed at all. The meals were either literally microwaveable or they offered stupid (as in I can make it already) meals or they had bad reviews and were unappealing. 

I don’t mind using a grocery store meal kit— I can at least look at it and it’s subscription free. 

I agree this market has collapsed. So much invested. 

• Like 2

I think home delivery is a real niche, but meal kits don’t seem to solve a problem for most people. And they aren’t cheap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I think home delivery is a real niche, but meal kits don’t seem to solve a problem for most people. And they aren’t cheap. 

Last time I had this discussion with my son they used meal kits.  (Two teenagers, two adults.)  Can't see it myself.

• Like 2