• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking from Meal Kits (Hello Fresh, Purple Carrot, Gousto, and so on)

DianaB

Yes, after one meal I am doubting if I will eat the others. I will probably put them in the freezer and eventually toss them. 

The flavoring is strong, especially the liquid smoke. I tried this tonight: 

IMG_3024.png

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)

The burger was cooked decently but it was greasy. The potatoes and vegetables were acceptable if I was in a  hospital or other type of setting at best. 

I feel like the meals are overwhelmingly spiced (the tomato jam was on the side for dipping and had to be doused with liquid smoke) in order to compensate for being reheated for a whole 2 minutes. 

No big loss, six meals ran me $49. The amount of packaging is honestly overwhelming and not easily recycled. 

I’ll likely try the one vegan meal I ordered since I think I read those are their strong point but that’s it. Most of the meals are chicken breasts and I’m not a major fan, with cauliflower rice and green berms in various sauces. 

My apartment smells like hamburger helper. I think Maisey thought it was for her. I’m going to have some Ben and Jerry’s Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream now.  I almost ordered Dominos and given my location in Northern NJ that says a lot. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)

Hey at least you know and the $ hit not too bad. Truly does not sound appealing.  Me - I'd pitch right away to erase from your life insted of confrontng in freezer ;)

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 8:10 PM, heidih said:

Hey at least you know and the $ hit not too bad. Truly does not sound appealing.  Me - I'd pitch right away to erase from your life insted of confrontng in freezer ;)

Me too. I wouldn't want any traces of the experiences left around to remind me.

• Like 1