• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking from Meal Kits (Hello Fresh, Purple Carrot, Gousto, and so on)

DianaB

Next dish is the one we doubled up on from Gobble: Lime Coconut Steamed Barramundi with Green Beans and Brown Rice  so we will be having it twice this week.

I'll start by saying this is a really good dish and if it comes around again we'd likely double-up on it yet again.  It's very quick to make, comes with a pre-made lime-coconut broth, and great flavoring ingredients in smaller portions than you can usually buy (making it an ideal mealkit): toasted garlic flakes, at least 3 kinds of fresh herbs, a two inch piece of fresh lemon grass, and a cut chunk of ginger.

But now the nitpicking.  Keep in mind we really like Gobble, we've had at least 216 meals/sides from them over the past 2 years, including 16 dishes two times, 5 dishes 3 times, 3 dishes 4 times, and a pre-made soup side dish (thai coconut chicken curry soup) 14 times.  I know how to adapt their instructions to work for our tastes and work with any ambiguities, no problem.

But for a new cook?  This recipe card has issues.

The name of the dish says "lime", the photo has a fresh cut lime in it.  The beginning of the instructions say "slice the lime in half".  Is there a fresh lime provided?  No.  Is it in the list of ingredients?  No.  Beyond the instructions to slice it, are there any other instructions on what to do with the absent lime?  No.  Likely what happened is that an earlier version of this recipe had an actual lime and they didn't update the photo and they missed taking out the "slice the lime in half" instruction.  They may have added lime juice to the provided coconut broth, but you know what?  This dish would have benefited from fresh lime juice -- it needed to be a bit more bright and the fruitiness of fresh lime just before serving would have made this dish better.  Heating the broth for 6-8 minutes dulls any aroma and fruitiness from lime.  We had no lime, but I'll get one before we make it a second time.

Another instruction says: "Place a deep saute pan on the stovetop and add the ginger, green beans, serrano pepper (omit if desired), green onions, and lemongrass into the pan. Cover the aromatics with the coconut broth and place the barramundi fillets into the pan."

Later you are to remove the "aromatics".  Suppose you are a novice cook (as many who use the mealkits are).  What are the aromatics?  The green beans?  The serrano pepper?  They had you "pierce small pieces" of the serrano pepper.   Does that make it an aromatic to be removed later? Oh, and keep in mind before you later leave the "aromatics" out the dish you add the fresh herbs too!

As it was, I tailored the dish to our tastes slightly by sauteeing all those ingredients listed above before adding the coconut broth, mellowing the serrano pepper.  Which later after simmering in the broth was quite delicious so were left in for serving (only the tough lemongrass and ginger "aromatics" were removed).

IMG_20170706_204356.thumb.jpg.db631b49fc0455bd8d4d793239c258b9.jpg

• Like 4

Another Gobble meal: Quinoa Vegetable Chili

Very fast meal, came with pre-cut squash to saute and then add to the rest of the chile and heat.  Bread and flavored butter to toast.  And quick pre-made garnish of salsa and sour cream.

Nothing special, but very flavorful.  We've gotten it before and will get it again.  My portion below (less than my husband's).  We do sometimes add to it, but if time is in short supply we just serve this simple dish as is.

IMG_20170707_190432.thumb.jpg.d267a7a1b94b502293e1175fb24d848f.jpg

• Like 5

And this week's fish dish from Sun Basket: Cod with leeks, tomatoes, and olives

This dish made a very tasty leek-heavy sauce. The sauce was made from leeks, cherry tomatoes, olives, lemon zest and juice, garlic, parsley, and red pepper flakes. We had add'l cherry tomatoes and I added those as well (doubling the amount) as well as a few capers. I also replaced 1/2 cup of the 3/4 cup with chicken stock. Easy, delicious sauce.  

It also came with some pre-cooked white beans to make a small mashed bean side (I added some of the lemon-parsley vinaigrette they had you make for the salad to the beans) -- a nice touch to bulk up this light meal slightly.  

The provided salad was a bit skimpy on ingredients: just escarole and the lemon-parsley vinaigrette.  So I added some sliced almonds and mixed dried fruit.  The fruit sweetness helped to balance the bitter escarole.  We got a 1/4 head of escarole -- just right, and another example where mealkits can cut food waste.  I wouldn't want to eat escarole 4 times this week if I'd had to buy a whole head!

An excellent dish, would definitely get it again.

IMG_20170708_192229.thumb.jpg.7c09a8d77e3fcdbaab84fabcdc20b24f.jpg

• Like 5

As I mentioned, I was intrigued by the carrot socca recipe in this week's Purple Carrot options, but the other dishes didn't excite me so I didn't order Purple Carrot for this week.  However, I did just make the recipe on my own.

It's a winner!  The recipe called for 8 oz carrots, 3/4 cup garbanzo bean flour and 1/2 cup water.  It seemed to me it would benefit from at least a little something else and since the mealkit was intended to be served with a salad containing sunflower seeds, I added about 3 Tbsp toasted sunflower seeds to the batter.  Also, Whole Foods didn't have a pure garbanzo flour but did have a garbanzo+fava bean flour mix (even better, IMHO).

I also made their mayo-shallot-dill-lemon dressing to go with it.

5962d658bf305_carrotsocca.thumb.jpg.d8cf0c3b561ce077f580edcf9106e65f.jpg

Very tasty!  I had never heard of a 'socca' and looked it up.  Ah, learned something new! So they are calling it a 'socca' because it uses the garbanzo bean flour and is fried.  Seems closer to carrot latke/pancake than a carrot socca, but hey!  I'll totally be making garbanzo flour based veggie pancakes again!

Although delicious with sunflower seeds in them, it could also use some more seasoning and one of the common socca seasonings would be perfect: za'atar.  Or just, say, cumin.

Of course, since I made this not from a mealkit box, I'm left with extra mayo, fresh dill, about 1/4 cup garbanzo flour, half a lemon, and two shallots (all the things I couldn't buy in small enough quantities for this dish).  They used the other half of the lemon for the salad, which I did not make.

• Like 4

And the last meal from last week's mealkit bounty: Five Spiced Tofu and Walnut Lettuce Cups

This one is from Sun Basket.  We prepared a day later than planned (Purple Carrot box arrived today, so we have a new set already), because when I went to make it, they had shipped the wrong kind of tofu.  Plain firm tofu instead of braised five-spice tofu.  I called them since this didn't seem to be an intentional substitution (no note in the box and plain tofu would cook up very differently and be missing a lot of flavor).  Sure enough, it was a mistake.  They were particularly generous, though, and gave me a credit for the full meal.

Even though the recipe called for Hodo brand tofu (a local brand we can find in Whole Food and now sold nationwide), we decided to go to the local Asian grocery and do some grocery shopping we can't get done elsewhere (e.g. chrysanthemum greens! 茼蒿, fermented rice, preserved vegetable, ..) and picked up this brand for our Sun Basket dish (it's even partially chopped already, though most 5-spice prepared tofu is not):

596586b4264f3_fivespicetofu.thumb.jpg.b2ff833c4cb0cd88bf0e9dce571a1a69.jpg

And here it is all chopped up before mixing and cooking with the other box ingredients.  You can see that plain tofu would have a very different result.

59658764333d0_choppedtofu.thumb.jpg.409a476a9d4fbf1c409e01138fa985d8.jpg

Our tofu lettuce cup dinner ingredients ready for eating:

59658818bb544_tofulettucecupingredients.thumb.jpg.c1b7d6ddeb47af8723f07bdf3d23541d.jpg

And a prepared portion:

596588341e985_tofulettucecupprepared.thumb.jpg.7551f092111456686711bdc9ec58a6ea.jpg

And, oh, but their prepared hoisin is fantastic!  Way better than any bottled stuff I've had.

Edited by SJMitch (log)
  • Like 5

I had a couple of disappointments in this week's Purple Carrot TB12 box.  A plastic container of rotten cilantro in tonight's recipe for Thai style cauliflower with sticky rice.  Oddly, the plastic container of cilantro in another menu's bag was perfectly fresh.  I'm not bothering to complain this time as I have other cabbage and cilantro in the fridge.

So, last night's recipe was Thai-style cauliflower with kaffir lime and sticky rice.  You cook the rice (I used my rice cooker), rough chop the cauliflower and roast it at 450 until browned in spots, cool slightly and then chop again into bite size pieces.  Meanwhile, chop up mint, cilantro, scallions, ginger, and Thai bird chile and combine in a big bowl.  "Not fish" sauce (vegan worcestershire sauce) is combined with coconut sugar and juice of a lime (I swapped in real fish sauce for the worcestershire).  You reheat the chopped cauliflower with half of the sauce in a skillet, then plate over the rice with sliced cucumber and romaine lettuce cups and top with chopped peanuts and the extra sauce on the side.  You can eat it as a salad or as lettuce cups.

I omitted the romaine as I want to use it in something I am making later this week, and added some grilled salmon.  The cauliflower was fantastic, with lots of flavor.  Overall we liked this a lot.

5965fb3b72883_thaistylecauliflower2.thumb.jpg.022897c973014f363c8ff3cfe800465a.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/11/2017 at 7:27 PM, SJMitch said:

And, oh, but their prepared hoisin is fantastic!  Way better than any bottled stuff I've had.

Goodness!  Look at the ingredient list for their hoisin sauce: "Sun Basket hoisin (pumpkin puree - prunes - coconut aminos - almond butter - molasses - sesame oil - coconut vinegar - granulated garlic - salt)"

No wonder it was tasty!

• Like 1

Last night's Purple Carrot TB12 meal was pomegranate mujaddara with carmelized onions and herbed beet salad.  The recipe calls for 8 ounces of beets, but the one included win my box as only four ounces.  I was annoyed at first but it turned out to be enough for us.  

Lentils and jasmine rice are cooked in water with vegetable broth, then fluffed and set aside.  Onions are sliced and carmelized in coconut spread (I added a little butter).  Half are mixed into the lentils and the other half reserved for garnish.  Beets are sliced and tossed with mint and parsley leaves and lemon juice.  The lentils are plated and topped with the beet salad, pomegranate seeds, pomegranate molasses, and crispy onions.  

As you might imagine from the ingredient list, this was pretty bland.  The beet salad was nice, but the lentils were awfully boring, despite the onions and salt/pepper.  I checked my recipe in the Jerusalem cookbook this morning, and his recipe calls for lots of added spices that would have been welcome.  By coincidence, I had made salmon to go with this, and made a spiced yogurt sauce to serve with that.  I had ultimately set it aside as being too strong for the salmon, but we ended up mixing some it in to the lentils to add flavor.  It helped a bit, but I would not make this again.

Husband's dish

mujaddara.thumb.jpg.9a13c3cf8c363a27a885e9d0ec7045c4.jpg

My plate

mujadurra2.thumb.jpg.120314d7f10bb50bb2e655fee97a41e5.jpg

• Like 5

It was a Gobble Feast this evening.  I first made the Scallops with zucchini and cauliflower couscous .  This was a very quick dish to make, since all the veggies came pre-chopped.  The zucchini was just precious:

596846d51cbf5_squarezucchini.thumb.jpg.dabf7338589fdf7c278cffcfd03871d0.jpg

However, as I was plating the dish, it was clear it would not be enough food -- even for me:

596847668748d_gobblejustscallops-001.thumb.jpg.d9cf4cdb62439c8f79bff50a8aeede8a.jpg

I checked another of our Gobble dishes and Salmon with Quinoa and Mizuna salad was even faster to make (pre-cooked quinoa and raw veggies for salad, premade dressing, premade rub for the salmon) so I quickly cooked it up as well.  We ate like kings!  My husband commented there was no way any restaurant around us would serve such a decadent plate like this for under $35, if you could even get it (Gobble cost: $23.90).  Two dishes WAS too much, but it was so good we both ate it all! Only one little lemon as leftovers.  What would have been perfect, tho, is both sides and one of the meat portions (scallops or salmon).

Oh Gobble -- when you are good you are very, very good!  (latter part of the rhyme applies as well, alas).

Scallop dish came with: scallops, cauliflower, zucchini, golden raisins, curry butter, garlic-ginger confit, a fresh lemon, fresh dill, fresh parsley, and sliced almonds (I added Penzey Singapore seasoning to the scallops as well as some mixed dried dark fruit).  Salmon dish came with salmon, dukkah seasoning, precooked quinoa, mizuna, radishes, grapes, a fresh lemon, fresh mint, fresh parsley, crumbled feta, and a premade cumin-orange vinaigrette.  We only used one lemon. 

Here is the almond-dressed scallop dish:

596849ab1fb3f_gobblescallopsalmonds2.thumb.jpg.c3e9365de66ebce622370042eaea30bf.jpg

And the Salmon, with extra dressing on the side:

596849f96f414_gobblequinoasalmon.thumb.jpg.3dc59871c6ad3fe798475a021c106e18.jpg

And the complete decadent plate of both dishes:

596849c42f831_gobblescallopsandsalmon.thumb.jpg.87b86e8270f75aa0b5e07370937a9154.jpg

Hey Gobble: again, again!

Edited by SJMitch (log)
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

As you might imagine from the ingredient list, this was pretty bland.  The beet salad was nice, but the lentils were awfully boring, despite the onions and salt/pepper.  I checked my recipe in the Jerusalem cookbook this morning, and his recipe calls for lots of added spices that would have been welcome.

Thanks for the heads-up, we'll be making this, too.  And what I should have done tonight is just make the quinoa salad from the 2nd Gobble dish and served the salmon from it later with the Purple Carrot dish like you did!

As it was, Gobble is still arriving late in the day which means the meats/fish do not arrive frozen solid, and unless they are very icy, I don't throw them in the freezer but put the seafood first in queue for meals from the fridge.

Edited by SJMitch (log)
  • Like 1

The final TB12 meal for this week was Chickpea Street Tacos with Piri Piri Sauce and Charred Zucchini

White lentils are cooked and mashed with salt, pepper, and cilantro.  A piri piri sauce is made with shallot, garlic, fresno chile, lemon, red wine vinegar, smoked paprika and olive oil.  The zucchini is sliced into planks and charred.  Chickpeas are sautéed with half of the piri piri sauce.  Tortillas are warmed and then topped with the lentil puree, zucchini, chickpeas, shredded cabbage, cilantro, and remaining piri piri sauce.

Well, I decided I did not want lentils two days in a row, especially after being bored with them the night before.  So instead I made a queso fundudo as a substitute.  I don't think Tom Brady would approve, but we certainly enjoyed it.  

5969327da36c9_chickpeatacos.thumb.jpg.bd3a1710a6c09612580b12d96bbf58f8.jpg

• Like 3

So we made the Purple Carrot Mujaddara tonight.  Using liamsaunt's advice, I added seasoning the lentils+rice (some Penzey Singapore spice mix and dried fruit).  I just threw it all in the rice cooker long before dinner.

Misjudged the recipe, tho!  I thought the rice+beans was the only long cooking item, but they have you fully caramelize and fry the onions, too.  So didn't save too much time doing the beans+rice earlier!  We got 8 oz of beets and without any addition, this meal was filling for us.

It was tasty, but like liamsaunt, we'd probably not get it a second time (unless the other 2 dishes are enticing).  The simple topping of thin sliced beets and herbs did work well, and I'll have to remember that when I have extra herbs lurking in the fridge. And we DO have two prolific pomegranate trees. 

Our mujaddara:

IMG_20170714_194805.thumb.jpg.414f00c1a4a2457c448d66f1ee9952b1.jpg

• Like 4

We made the Purple Carrot Thai Style Cauliflower that liamsaunt made the other night.  We served it as-is, with romaine and used them to make lettuce cups for the rice and cauliflower.  The vegan Worcestershire was really good! I was also impressed they included fresh kaffir lime leaves for it.  The flavor was excellent; this dish was better than I expected.

Also, I read the instructions too fast and missed where they wanted you to rough chop the cauliflower, roast, and then chop finer.  I just chopped it fine straight away and roasted it that way (tossing as-is into a skillet to heat up with the sauce before mixing into the herb seasoning mix.  Worked fine.

IMG_20170715_201513.jpg.2ecf274fd3e1aa30f15230f79a24268a.jpg

• Like 4

Tonight was the vegetarian version of the Gobble scallop dish: Chickpea pancakes with cauliflower, zucchini, and fava beans

Unlike the scallop version of this dish, this was filling enough to be a meal on its own.  The chickpea fritters (more like pancakes, really; the provided batter was liquidy) were more substantial than the scallops.  It also had added fava beans and tzatziki sauce.  I don't usually order both the non-veg and the veg version of a dish but I love both scallops and fava beans so got both.

596c2552b90a9_gobblechickpeacauliflower-001.jpg.9cb86d907518f83a155c1a3c069cf55d.jpg

• Like 5

Meal kit meal planning.  Since we're heavy meal kit users of multiple US services, I thought I'd give an idea of what ordering and selection is like. 

We currently are using 4 different vendors: Blue Apron, Purple Carrot, Sun Basket, and Gobble.  For all of them you have to order or skip about a week in advance.  I used to just go and skip for as many weeks in the future as possible, but in several services (Gobble and Sun Basket) some dishes can sell out.  So now I pre-pick favorites as soon as possible and only skip if there are none.  Then double-check a week in advance and make a final decision.  They usually list common diet restriction/allergens and have cooking times and calories listed.  You can usually check out the recipe and menu card for all the details of the dish in advance  (TB12 you have to do a google search for it -- they have it but don't link in advance).

Here is what's on offer for week of July 24th.

SUNBASKET -- our delivery day is Monday, can skip or pick 2 or 3 dishes, OK to double-up.  They also have a separate "family menu" you choose 2 dishes intended for 4 people (4 "servings" each dish), but you must select either from just the regular menu or the family menu, you can't mix and match between them. Regular menu, 2 dishes ordered, $12.49/serving or $24.98/dish. Regular menu, 3 dishes ordered: $11.49/serving or $22.98/dish.  Family menu, 2 dishes ordered: $9.99/serving or $39.96/dish

Regular menu dishes, 2 servings each, choose 2 or 3 dishes

1. Chile Verde chicken breast stew with jicama salad (paleo, dairy-free)
  2. Grilled salmon and veggies with chimichurri (paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free)
  3. Harissa pork chops with tomato salad (paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free)
  4. New Orleans shrimp creole (gluten-free, dairy-free)
  5. Chicken breast with tomatoes and olives (gluten-free) (Williams Sonoma recipe) - SOLD OUT
  6. White bean nicoise salad with romesco (gluten-free, vegetarian, dairy-free)
  7. Sausages, peppers, polenta (gluten-free)
  8. Steak tacos, zucchini salsa, lime yogurt
  9. Quinoa penne with moroccan chickpeas, almonds, tomatoes (gluten-free, vegetarian)
  10. Quinoa corn salad with squash, hazelnuts, ricotta and mint (gluten-free, vegetarian)
  11. 2 breakfasts: mango smoothie and arugula frittata and salsa (gluten-free, vegetarian, dairy-free)

Family Menu dishes, 4 servings each, choose 2 dishes

1. Beef and broccoli teriyaki with jasmine rice (gluten-free, dairy-free)
  2. Mango chicken lettuce cups with rice noodles (paleo-friendly, gluten-free, dairy-free)
  3. Hodo Soy tofu burgers with sweet chile mayonnaise (vegetarian, dairy-free)
  4. Chicken breasts with salsa verde and sweet potato fries (paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free)
  5. Masala turkey kebabs with cashew chutney (paleo-friendly, gluten-free, dairy-free)
  6. Corn and black bean tacos with avocado and queso fresco (gluten-free, vegetarian)

PURPLE CARROT -- our delivery day is Tuesday.  Can only skip or pick one of 3 set menus. There is a regular menu for 2 people, a regular menu for 4 people, and a TB12 menu for 2 people. All dishes are vegan. Regular menu, 2 people: $11.33/serving or $22.66/dish. Regular menu, 4 people: $9.25/serving or $37/dish. TB12 menu is $13.00/serving or $26/dish.

Regular menu dishes, 2 servings each

1. Sweet potato and cabbage okonomiyaki and vermicelli noodle salad
  2. Chopped grilled veggie salad (kale, chickpeas, cabbage zucchini) with orange-ginger-miso dressing
  3. Strawberry Cherry Tomato Gazpacho with Avocado Toast & Balsamic Reduction

Regular 'family' menu dishes, 4 servings each

1. Sweet potato and cabbage okonomiyaki and vermicelli noodle salad
  2. Chopped grilled veggie salad (kale, chickpeas, cabbage zucchini) with orange-ginger-miso dressing

TB12 menu (higher protein, larger portions), 2 servings each

1. Mango "poke" bowl with sea lettuce dressing
  2. Ratatouille Verde with Basil Gremolata and Polenta 
  3. Niçoise Salad with Walnut Lentils & Warm Tarragon Vinaigrette

GOBBLE  -- our delivery day is Wednesday.  Can skip or pick 2 or more main dishes (as many as you want) and then you can add add'l soups, sides, drink mix, cookies available too. Can double, triple, or more up.  Gobble labels common allergens in each dish (wheat, nuts, shellfish, dairy, etc).  Each dish or side comes in units of 2 servings, so if it says $1.95/serving, the minimum cost is $3.90.  Cost for main dishes: if you choose 2: $13.95/serving or $27.90/dish. If you choose 3 or more: $11.95/serving or $23.90/dish

Main dishes, choose at least 2 meals, or as many as you want, multiples OK (in units of 2 "servings")

1. Grilled Pork Tenderloin & Peaches with Almond Wheat Berry Salad
  2. Grilled Chicken Breast & Peaches with Almond Wheat Berry Salad - SOLD OUT
  3. Thai Red Curry with Shrimp & Brown Jasmine Rice
  4. Thai Red Curry with Beef & Brown Jasmine Rice
  5. Pan-Seared Salmon Cakes with Poached Yukon Potatoes & Gribiche Sauce
  6. Pan-Roasted Chicken with Poached Yukon Potatoes & Gribiche Sauce
  7. Ricotta Gnocchi with Fava Beans & Pomodoro Sauce
  8. Seared Flat Iron Steak with Carrots & Braised Green Lentils
  9. Vegetable Karma Korma with Turmeric Rice
  10. Bibimbap with Korean Marinated Vegetables & Crispy Brown Rice

Side dishes, you can only order these if you order main dishes.  As many as you want in units of 2 servings.

1. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough +$1.95 per serving
  2. Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookie Dough +$1.95 per serving
  3. Refreshing Mint Mojito Drink Mix +$1.95 per serving
  4. Honey-Ginger Lemonade Mix +$1.95 per serving
  5. Roasted Red Bell Pepper Bisque with Garlic Croutons & Goat Cheese +$4.95 per serving - SOLD OUT
  6. Mulligatawny Curry Soup with Lime Yogurt +$4.95 per serving - SOLD OUT
  7. Spicy Moroccan Lentil & Sweet Potato Soup +$4.95 per serving
  8. Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup +$5.95 per serving
  9. Baked Conchiglie Mac & Cheese +$5.95 per serving
  10. Baked Ciabatta Garlic Bread +$2.95 per serving
  11. Mixed Greens Salad with Blue Cheese & Pecans +$5.25 per serving
  12. Vietnamese Salad with Cashews & Chili-Lime Vinaigrette +$5.25 per serving

BLUE APRON  -- our delivery day is Thursday.  You can either skip or choose exactly 3 different dishes, no doubling up.  They also have a family plan that serves 4 with either 2 or 4 recipes/week.  Regular plan is $9.99/serving or $19.98/dish.  Family plan is $8.99/serving or $36.96/dish.

Regular menu, 2 servings each, choose exactly 3 different dishes

1. Shrimp & Fresh Gnocchi with Corn, Basil, & Charm Tomatoes
  2. Spanish-Style Eggs with Summer Squash, Piquillo Peppers, & Aioli
  3. Coconut & Lemongrass Wonton Noodles with Mushrooms, Bok Choy, & Peanuts
  4. Marinated Beef Pitas with Sugar Snap Pea & Radish Salad
  5. Seared Chicken & Vegetable Ragoût with Charm Tomatoes, English Peas, & Potatoes
  6. Spicy Beef Tacos with Charm Tomato Salsa & Creamy Corn
  7. Roasted Chicken & Panzanella Salad with Sweet Peppers & Summer Squash
  8. Summer Vegetable Tartines with Cubanelle Pepper & Charm Tomatoes

Family menu, 4 servings each, choose exactly 2 different dishes or all 4

1. Chicken Marbella with Roasted Potatoes & Summer Squash
  2. Seared Salmon & Soy Vermicelli Noodles with English Peas
  3. White Cheddar Pork Burgers with Charm Tomatoes & Roasted Potato Wedges
  4. Summer Squash Pizza Paninis with Cucumber & Pickled Pepper Salad

Edited by SJMitch (log)
  • Like 2

So what will we be ordering for that week?  Not completely sure yet!  We will have two teenaged guests visiting.  We might do the usual: go to the grocery, let them pick ingredients to make their own food (they like chicken tenders and mac&cheese).  So we'll get what we like mostly (they aren't here to select from the offerings yet -- the following week they'll get to help pick).

I'm liking the Purple Carrot regular menu.  That okonomiyaki (I do love okonomiyaki) and the strawberry tomato gazpacho is calling me.  The TB12 ratatouille verde looks good, but the other two, eh...   

Sunbasket is less interesting; not a fan of chicken breast or pork chops. The steak tacos, sausage, and bean nicoise sound kinda boring.  I could possibly do the shrimp creole and either or both of quinoa dishes.  But probably will skip because:

Gobble!  I want the pork&peaches, the gnocchi (love their gnocchi!), the salmon cakes, and the shrimp red curry.  So 4 dishes!  Also, for the kids: add cookies, mac&cheese, and garlic bread and for us, 4 servings of the thai chicken soup.  Gobble is also good because they are the fast-prep service with most things pre-cooked, pre-chopped, pre-mixed when possible.

Blue Apron?  Only the gnocchi and the spanish eggs seem like winners to me, and you can't get just 2.

So, probably 3 dishes from Purple Carrot, 4 from Gobble and several sides as well.

Edited by SJMitch (log)
  • Like 2

Thought I'd contribute. We're trying out a menu planning service called PlateJoy. We're a family of 3 fairly unadventurous eaters, despite the years I've lurked here. :)  I can't quite justify the cost of the meal kits, but PJ is so far a perfect fit. You can heavily customize preferences; I can get fish but not shellfish, for instance. It does skew a little to "healthy" eating, but I kind of need that. You give it your preferences, then it creates a queue ala netflix, that you can remove meals from. When you need a new menu, you tell it how many breakfasts/lunch/dinner/snacks you want and it generates it from that queue, but it theoretically consolidates to re-use ingredients. Again, more customization because you can vary those numbers. I only get one breakfast because weekends are the only time we vary, for instance. This week's menu included egg cups (baked eggs, basically, something I've meant to try but never gotten around to), an apple/mozz/balsamic flatbread for a lunch, a slow cooker of meatballs and broccolini (prompting me to finally try a new veggie) and 3 "regular" dinners: potato skillet with baked eggs & kale pesto; broccoli/tomato/Italian sausage bake (eh, it could be better), and tzatziki turkey meatloaf with baked zucchini. If instacart is local to you, you can send the whole order there. Unfortunately, our only local store choice is Whole Foods. Instead I shopped at a combination of an online organic delivery (door to door) and Stop & Shop. So far it's all appealing to me and we'll see how it goes. Note it also has an option for more adventurous meals, too. :)

• Like 4

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

52 minutes ago, Allura said:

We're trying out a menu planning service called PlateJoy.

Would love to see some of the dishes -- they don't have to look pretty!

We tried them a year or so ago so I'm curious to see what you think as you continue with them!  They imported pretty well into the Paprika recipe manager, too.

One thing I remember about them was that it was very easy to regenerate menus if you didn't like what the current selection by "removing" a recipe.  But sometimes I wanted to 'remove" a recipe just temporarily and be able to get back to it later.  At the time they had no way to view your removed recipes or un-remove a recipe.  Is that still true?  

• Like 1

@Allura

Most interesting. I did a trial run without providing any traceable personal information and their suggestions seemed appetizing and appealing. Will investigate a bit more. Thanks for sharing. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I checked and I do have one photo of a dish we made from PlateJoy:

20160530_195434.jpg.490421d2db10152c5d99d0267f4ea757.jpg

This was Baked Tilapia with Beet and Apple Salsa.

Ingredients were:

1 ¾ lbs tilapia fillet (12 oz, 1 lb portions)
2 ⅔ tbsp olive oil
14 oz cooked beets
1 ¾ apples
½ cup walnuts
1 ¾ shallots
1 jalapeno pepper
1 ½ limes
3 ½ cups arugula

I did like that you could choose whether you wanted more variety in your weekly recipe or less food waste.

• Like 2

I may commit to a 10 day trial (which requires that I cough up my credit card number) just because I'm curious. The current exchange rate is a bit daunting to dive in for 6 months without being more certain that I would actually use it and benefit from it. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

I may commit to a 10 day trial (which requires that I cough up my credit card number) just because I'm curious. The current exchange rate is a bit daunting to dive in for 6 months without being more certain that I would actually use it and benefit from it. 

Good plan!

Also, to get best experience out of the trial, regenerate the meal plans as frequently as they allow, first saving the info (recipes, shopping list).  Then you can see many sets of recipes to try beyond 10 days to get a better idea if it is worth it.

16 hours ago, SJMitch said:

1 ¾ lbs tilapia fillet (12 oz, 1 lb portions)

Oh, this reminds me.  See that specification: 12 oz, 1lb portions?   That meant 12 oz for me and 1lb for my husband.  You can set up info on PlateJoy for each person so it adjust serving size/calories for each person.

• Like 1

Meal #1 from this week's TB12 box.  Summer ramen with coconut lime broth and sweet corn.

Corn is cut from the cob. A broth is made from the cobs, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, ginger, a vegetable bouillon cube and water (I subbed in homemade chicken stock for the bouillon/water).  Coconut milk, tamari and lime juice is added once the broth has simmered. Chunky aromatics are removed and chopped bok choy is added.  (you are supposed to add tofu at this point but I am not supposed to eat tofu so I omitted it)

Black rice ramen noodles are cooked.  They sent 5 oz and I was feeding two adults plus a teen so I made the decision to also cook/prepare one sleeve of ramen noodles and a bunch of raw zoodles I made on my spiralizer.  I followed the cooking instructions for the black rice ramen but they fell apart a bit.  Not having made black rice ramen before I can't explain what went wrong.

Finally, the corn cut off the cob is sautéed in coconut fat and agave and then added to the ramen bowl with cilantro and lime wedge garnish.  I added duck eggs to everyone's dish to make up for the missing tofu protein.  

596ec0ab60ba0_raen.thumb.jpg.41a79410921f2906e8b444b6c0f246bc.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 7