• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SJMitch

SJMitch

On 9/13/2017 at 11:48 AM, BeatriceB said:

Having read this thread, I think these services are best for people who, as has been said, have more money than time, but even more importantly, tend toward the vegetarian or vegan end of the eating spectrum

It depends on whether you mean it's a good option for vegetarian/vegans because of complexity or that the meals from services tend to be vegan/vegetarian. If it's the former, I agree with you. In general (except for Purple Carrot), mealkit services are very meat focused (I just tend to order the few not-so-meat-heavy dishes).

We're still regular users of Sun Basket, Gobble, Purple Carrot, and Blue Apron.  I do have photos up on instagram  (quick and easy to post).  I rarely order from Blue Apron (more meat heavy, less interesting dishes).  Purple Carrot has also been less interesting just of late (so this may just be random variation), with more pasta and burger type dishes.

Sun Basket has been making more changes.  You can now "upgrade' the meat and fish in some dishes for an extra charge.  E.g. change from top sirloin to new york strip or filet mignon.  Or, say, change from salmon to halibut.  They have the most selections of any service (usually 11 or 12 to choose from).  Although you can't order unlimited number of dishes, you can choose 2, 3, or 4 dishes (with multiples allowed).  They also have their selections and scheduling the furthest in the future of any service, about 7 weeks out, which is important so you don't forget to skip!  Blue Apron is almost as long at 6 weeks, but Gobble and Purple Carrot only allow skips out 4 weeks on average.  Sun Basket's website also has your ordering history and you can go back and get any recipe. I like their website the best from a usability perspective.  Purple Carrot is the worst.

We haven't had any major missing/bad ingredients in the past month or two, but two services had a week where they gave us double dishes mistakenly (we were not charged for them).  Sun Basket accidentally doubled up on two different dishes and Gobble on one. 

SJMitch

SJMitch

On 9/13/2017 at 11:48 AM, BeatriceB said:

Having read this thread, I think these services are best for people who, as has been said, have more money than time, but even more importantly, tend toward the vegetarian or vegan end of the eating spectrum

It depends on whether you mean it's a good option for vegetarian/vegans because of complexity or that the meals from services tend to be vegan/vegetarian. If it's the former, I agree with you. In general (except for Purple Carrot), mealkit services are very meat focused (I just tend to order the few not-so-meat-heavy dishes).

We're still regular uses of Sun Basket, Gobble, Purple Carrot, and Blue Apron.  I do have photos up on instagram  (quick and easy to post).  I rarely order from Blue Apron (more meat heavy, less interesting dishes).  Purple Carrot has also been less interesting just of late (so this may just be random variation), with more pasta and burger type dishes.

Sun Basket has been making more changes.  You can now "upgrade' the meat and fish in some dishes for an extra charge.  E.g. change from top sirloin to new york strip or filet mignon.  Or, say, change from salmon to halibut.  They have the most selections of any service (usually 11 or 12 to choose from).  Although you can't order unlimited number of dishes, you can choose 2, 3, or 4 dishes (with multiples allowed).  They also have their selections and scheduling the furthest in the future of any service, about 7 weeks out, which is important so you don't forget to skip!  Blue Apron is almost as long at 6 weeks, but Gobble and Purple Carrot only allow skips out 4 weeks on average.  Their website also has your ordering history and you can go back and get any recipe. I like their website the best from a usability perspective.  Purple Carrot is the worst.

We haven't had any major missing/bad ingredients in the past month or two, but two services had a week where they gave us double dishes mistakenly (we were not charged for them).  Sun Basket accidentally doubled up on two different dishes and Gobble on one.