• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

DianaB

DianaB

On 28 April 2017 at 3:04 PM, Anna N said:

I ran across an advertisement for Hello Fresh which apparently now delivers in my local area.  I am debating a trial purely out of curiosity.    It could only be an improvement on Chefs Plate! As a singleton these meal delivery services miss the mark. None of them seem to offer single meals for single people which means lots of leftovers. I have absolutely no objection to eating a meal the second time around if I enjoyed it the first time around but with a meal delivery system that's a bit of a gamble. Certainly the menus for Hello Fresh appeal to me considerably more than the ones from Chefs' Plate.  Still considering whether I will actually pull the trigger.   I would consider the cost as part of my entertainment budget rather than part of my grocery budget.:o

We are having a Hello Fresh box this week, arriving Wednesday rather than our usual Tuesday because May 1st is a public holiday in England and Wales (happy memories of life in France where 1st May was also a national holiday: workers day, and I would each year come home to hand picked lily of the valley flowers from an elderly neighbour keeping traditions alive)

Anyway, we have ordered 3 X meals for 2.  Can't remember what they are as I write so that will be the first surprise!  

I have nade made a new friend locally through discussion of these meal boxes.  This is nice for me, my home and office are the same space so new friendships are cherished.  This person introduced me to Simply Cooking.  This scheme is also membership based but customers receive just herb and spice mixes and sauce bases, recipe cards have a shopping list attached to remind you to get the vegetables and any meat or fish necessary to make the meal.  My intro box was just £1 so if we get 1 decent meal from the bos I will be happy.  The meals will need to be stunning to keep my interest at £8.99 a set but perhaps I am unrealistic about prices. 

Tonight we we ate a variation of a previous Hello Fresh recipe: chicken with sage leaves enclosed in Serrano ham; Jersey Royal potatoes (highlight of spring for me) and stir fried leeks (another Hello Fresh technique).  I made a sauce with much reduced cream/Gewurtztraminer/Dijon mustard and that was it.  Perfect for us, things we might have made years ago but had completely forgotten about certain combinations as new things came along to replace them in our repertoire.

I'll try to remember to report here as the Hello Fresh box is consumed.  It will be 3 meals for 2 people but I don't remember exactly what we asked for...  

@Anna N I know that some Hello Fresh services offer boxes for 1, not in the UK though.  Here they propose that we cook for 2 and freeze half, not ideal, I did live alone not too long ago and would not have been tempted by this option.  The Canadian Hello Fresh has different options to the UK so it might be worth a look if you are interested.

i don't know if the referrals I can make work internationally, I suspect not.  If you are interested have a search around for Hello Fresh intro offer, I'm sure you will quickly find codes to bring you significant reductions on early orders wherever you are based.

DianaB

DianaB

On 28 April 2017 at 3:04 PM, Anna N said:

I ran across an advertisement for Hello Fresh which apparently now delivers in my local area.  I am debating a trial purely out of curiosity.    It could only be an improvement on Chefs Plate! As a singleton these meal delivery services miss the mark. None of them seem to offer single meals for single people which means lots of leftovers. I have absolutely no objection to eating a meal the second time around if I enjoyed it the first time around but with a meal delivery system that's a bit of a gamble. Certainly the menus for Hello Fresh appeal to me considerably more than the ones from Chefs' Plate.  Still considering whether I will actually pull the trigger.   I would consider the cost as part of my entertainment budget rather than part of my grocery budget.:o

We are having a Hello Fresh box this week, arriving Wednesday rather than our usual Tuesday because May 1st is a public holiday in England and Wales (happy memories of life in France where 1st May was also a national holiday: workers day, and I would each year come home to hand picked lily of the valley flowers from an elderly neighbour keeping traditions alive)

Anyway, we have ordered 3 X meals for 2.  Can't remember what they are as I write so that will be the first surprise!  

I have nade made a new friend locally through discussion of these meal boxes.  This is nice for me, my home and office are the same space so new friendships are cherished.  This person introduced me to Simply Cooking.  This scheme is also membership based but customers receive just herb and spice mixes and sauce bases, recipe cards have a shopping list attached to remind you to get the vegetables and any meat or fish necessary to make the meal.  My intro box was just £1 so if we get 1 decent meal from the bos I will be happy.  The meals will need to be stunning to keep my interest at £8.99 a set but perhaps I am unrealistic about prices. 

Tonight we we ate a variation of a previous Hello Fresh recipe: chicken with sage leaves enclosed in Serrano ham; Jersey Royal potatoes (highlight of spring for me) and stir fried leeks (another Hello Fresh technique).  I made a sauce with much reduced cream/Gewurtztraminer/Dijon mustard and that was it.  Perfect for us, things we might have made years ago but had completely forgotten about certain combinations as new things came along to replace them in our repertoire.

I'll try to remember to report here as the Hello Fresh box is consumed.  It will be 3 meals for 2 people but I don't remember exactly what we asked for...  

@Anna N I know that some Hello Fresh services offer boxes for 1, not in the UK though.  Here they propose that we cook for 2 and freeze half, not ideal, I did live alone not too long ago and would not have been tempted by this option.  The Canadian Hello Fresh has different options to the UK so it might be worth a look if you are interested.

i don't know if the referrals I can make work internationally, I suspect not.  If you are interested have a search around for Hello Fresh intro offer, I'm sure you will quickly find codes to bring you significant reductions on early orders wherever you are based.

here's hoping that our box for this week will impress!