• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Sussing out Saskatoon

As previously noted in a request for suggestions of where to eat in Saskatoon - I'm heading off west today to partake of what I can find there. I'm an examiner for the College of Family Physicians which will occupy my days on Friday, Saturday and Sunday - but I'll see what food I can find this evening, Friday and Saturday nights. I'm sure I'll find a few compatible foodies who will join me in my explorations.

I'm traveling cattle class today - not on my dime so I don't get to book my seats - however when you pay a small fortune for a credit card there are some perks. I can sit in the business class lounge while I wait for my flight. So I left the house a little early, faced the painful security lines and I'm now sitting in the business class lounge enjoying a glass of wine and a bite. Cause they sure as hell aren't going to feed me on board.

IMG_4688.JPG.6a3ce5281dc984e045bcec0caf0cff20.JPG

Particularly enjoyed the broccoli salad with raisins.

• Like 8

Just sitting down at Ayden - had a lovely chat with Brandon who recommends the Wildfire when I suggested what I like in a cocktail. 

image.thumb.jpg.721fe25dc3dd74e507a4ef51885ac0b0.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.837b9dab17a729b88e5d2da4aaceb70c.jpg

Forgot to mention I prefer rocks though!

But I have discovered that this province has Ramazotti amero - so now I need someone to drive me to the Co-op in Blairmore tomorrow. 

image.thumb.jpg.75bb610f5d73b57f6eed41333bc9cf5c.jpg

Now on rocks!

• Like 7

I feel obligated to post what I was fed at the exams today - just not obligated enough to remember to take a picture before I was mostly done. There was bacon on there before. 

IMG_4696.JPG.f10d9375f0603f4bc22cdc7683736cd9.JPG

Lunch a collections of sandwiches and fruit, with the obligatory plate of nanaimo bars and other very, very, very sweet squares. Cheese and crackers for am break.

IMG_4699.JPG.6a61b2814da04485fdca68b19a64f131.JPG

• Like 4

I headed off the the CO-OP liquor store after the exam training session - sadly they had only a label on the shelf for the Ramazzotti Amaro. 

I decided to check out Sticks and Stones - a new Japanese Korean restaurant by the same chef as ayden. 

This is The Wind Rises (on the rocks) - lovely albeit a bit sweet

IMG_4702.thumb.JPG.5021350a742cc43730ea66d5f459429c.JPG

IMG_4700.jpg.ae6c0f0adce2571067e98f28b64fc58b.jpg

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 5

I did a quick LCBO search because for some reason I thought I remembered Ramazzotti being listed. Looks like the LCBO has worked it's way up to having 10 different amari listed now... but none of them are Ramazzotti. Silly me, I should have realized you probably checked that before looking elsewhere.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

I did a quick LCBO search because for some reason I thought I remembered Ramazzotti being listed. Looks like the LCBO has worked it's way up to having 10 different amari listed now... but none of them are Ramazzotti. Silly me, I should have realized you probably checked that before looking elsewhere.

Yeah – they delisted it about a year and a half ago,  just before I went looking for another bottle.

I had hoped it might come back for Christmas but no such luck.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

6 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

So you're saying one of us could go corner the market ... 

Indeed - I think you could! There is a Rocky Horror Chocolate Show, Purdy's is apparently going to be opening (Rachel is dragging them in to the 21st century pretty nicely - but they will never be an artisan chocolate shop), there appears to be a vegan, organic 'raw' shop on the market and a shop making traditional belgian chocolates since 1984.  

So a shop placed down where all the new restaurants are based (an area currently being gentrified), selling artisan, modern chocolates and bars would likely do very well!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I decided to check out Sticks and Stones - a new Japanese Korean restaurant by the same chef as ayden. 

This is The Wind Rises (on the rocks) - lovely albeit a bit sweet

IMG_4702.thumb.JPG.5021350a742cc43730ea66d5f459429c.JPG

IMG_4700.jpg.ae6c0f0adce2571067e98f28b64fc58b.jpg

I understand what low proof on the left means, but what does reliable on the right mean?  Like you can rely on it to get you drunk lol?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I understand what low proof on the left means, but what does reliable on the right mean?  Like you can rely on it to get you drunk lol?

Yeah - there were 4 categories all together. The need to organize I guess!

• Like 1

I'd make a nice dent in the taco bar. I don't care if it's more Old El Paso than Mexico... tacos are like pizza, even the lower end of the scale is still pretty good if you let it be. :D

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.