• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 weeks in Australia and NZ

I'm just back from 3 weeks on tour in Australia and New Zealand

Sydney - this is the 6th time (i think) I've been to Cafe Sydney and it's still one of my favorite places anywhere. Great food, beautiful view, nice atmosphere, good service. 

a great place.

Melbourne - Rockpool continues to be a strong entry here, especially their selection of steaks from wagyu through to 60 month grass fed... but crudos and other starters were also strong, including a stellar lobster omelet!

Perth - Shorehouse restaurant (in Swanbourne) was excellent. on the water staring out at sunset over the Indian Ocean helps!, but also some really good food in a relaxed open air atmosphere.

the bad news was that Rockpool Perth was poor in every way. Uncaring service, spotty cooking, wrong orders, a complete miss; and nothing at all what I would have expected based on my many previous visits to Rockpools in Melbourne and Sydney.

Auckland  - we had a nice dinner at Harbourside Ocean Bar Grill. nice spot overlooking the harbour, seafood centric menu. The local crayfish (a clawless lobster basically, it was more than a pound and a half, not the tiny Louisiana crawfish, if that's what you're picturing) was the standout winner.

Edited by weedy (log)
  • Like 1