• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My mango banana cake

Vijay

Please bless me.

My first vanilla sponge. 

Layer filling is chopped Alphonso mango and banana. 

Topping is liquid glucose, sugar and white compound. 

Decorated on top with slices of mango and scooped water melon and  side decoration with white compound garnishing zigzag. 

Forgot to take the side view in hurry and my old phone is also troubling. 

IMG_20170419_163726.jpg

Edited by Vijay
Typos (log)
  • Like 3

But adding to this please suggest me about baking. 

I have the settings 40 min and 200 centigrade. It's a big oven. I have appealed to my bakery chef to bake my stuff. He agreed. By the time of baking into 30 minutes I visibly see cracks in the top of batter. The picture I took while baking. IMG_20170418_165338.thumb.jpg.8c379517153b6ae55d34c57ef3541263.jpg

I was in dilemma and also in fear whether baking has been completed seeing those cracks. 

Once I heard a chef explaining a good cake baking can be known by seeing the cracks on the top. 

I asked the chef: seems baking has been completed.

But the chef insisted me to stick with the settings. 

After cooling in the next day means today I checked it was fine although little brownish on the top. 

seems oven settings have priority over physical observation. 

Is my guess true? 

Yes, it looks like the cracks are happening because the oven is too hot. The top and sides are firming up while the center is still cold, then as the center heats up and rises, it pushes upwards causing doming and cracks. There's also a chance that there is too much batter in the pans. It's difficult to tell from the photo.

• Like 1