• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chaga...Has anyone tried this?

ChocoMom

So, as I understand it, Chaga is a fungi type growth on birch trees.  In cold climates, it grows on the outer part of white and yellow birch.  Its supposed to have some good medicinal uses, though I didn't quite understand what exactly it does.

This came up at dinner tonight, as a cousin was talking about it.  We have an abundance of birch trees around here, so I was going to go hiking out in the woods with hubby, and see if we could lop a chunk off. Other than boiling it and sipping on the tea, not sure what else to do with it.  Any ideas, recommendations or warnings?

I thought about pressure canning it, as I am sure the high pressure and high heat would render some decently strong, potent tea.  The Chaga lumps sound like they are very hard and would require substantial preparation in order to steep any kind of tea. So....pressure canning seems like a logical method to expedite the process.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this...

Thanks!

Andrea

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

ahhh!!!! the glories of Inonotus obliquus.....   Here is an interesting website;https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inonotus_obliquus

I have had chaga tea once. I do not remember the taste, but I know I enjoyed it.

• Like 1

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Not my cup of tea...however after perusing the Wikipedia article, the thought of room temperature pressure extraction into an ethanol solution using nitrous oxide came to mind.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou