• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stretching a Margarita

Paul Fink

We're getting into margaritas as our drink for summer.

I have a good basic recipe that makes a killer drink.

My problem is that its about 4 oz total. No a very refreshing drink on a hot day.

Is there something to dilute or stretch the drink?

Like a gin & tonic has 6 oz to 8 oz of tonic but other than the lime a margarita is all alcohol.

21 minutes ago, Paul Fink said:

Like a gin & tonic has 6 oz to 8 oz of tonic but other than the lime a margarita is all alcohol.

Because that's what a margarita is. You can add other stuff, or change the proportions radically, but then you're not making a margarita.

You have, I think, two choices:

1. Freeze it: compose your cocktail and put ice in the tin in an amount that would suit it for shaking. Then pour it all into a blender and whiz until frosty. I would not call this a margarita, but in this I am opposed by approximately one villion restaurants and bars.
  2. Figure out what you like about the margarita, then find a long drink that comes close to the profile. For example, try a Paloma or an El Diablo.

• Like 4

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Thanks everyone. Those are very helpful.

My wife says in alcohol content a margarita is no different than a martini and "you down  couple of those"

Maybe I need to find a complementary non-alcoholic drink to server with it, like ginger beer..

• Like 2

What you should do, is make it by the gallon. Following link is from Jeffery Morganthaler, and it is THE best batch cocktail recipe I've ever had.

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2006/a-gallon-of-margaritas/

I have brought these to BYOB restaurants in Jersey. Restaurant ice (same as regular ice maker, ice) filled glasses. Dilutes quickly, but everyone loved the balance of the ingredients. 

• Like 1

"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."

Will Sinclair