• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Arey

Arey

I always make enough rice to freeze a couple of one cup containers,  Right now I have saffron rice, curried rice, wild rice and white rice mix (I use Near Brand original flavor, and trash the flavor package) pinenut-parsley-pilaf and plain white rice in my freezer.  I need to make a batch of rice with peas since I'm out of it right now.  For the curried rice and the rice with peas I use chicken broth, instead of water.  I first had rice and pea years ago at the house of a woman who had a catering business and had two assistants living with her. Two women, Anna and Maria, from  the Cividale area and what I had there was risi e bisi.  Neither Anna nor Maria would  consider my rice and peas as even being remotely related to risi e bisi, and for that matter, neither would I.  I saute some onion and mushrooms and then toast the rice, add chicken broth , frozen mushrooms, and cook.  No canned peas allowed. 

Arey

Arey

I always make enough rice to freeze a couple of one cup containers,  Right now I have saffron rice, curried rice, pinenut-parsley-pilaf and plain white rice in my freezer.  I need to make a batch of rice with peas since I'm out of it right now.  For the curried rice and the rice with peas I use chicken broth, instead of water.  I first had rice and pea years ago at the house of a woman who had a catering business and had two assistants living with her. Two women, Anna and Maria, from  the Cividale area and what I had there was risi e bisi.  Neither Anna nor Maria would  consider my rice and peas as even being remotely related to risi e bisi, and for that matter, neither would I.  I saute some onion and mushrooms and then toast the rice, add chicken broth , frozen mushrooms, and cook.  No canned peas allowed. 

Arey

Arey

I always make enough rice to freeze a couple of one cup containers,  Right now I have saffron rice, curried rice, pinenut-parsley-pilaf and plain white rice in my freezer.  I need to make a batch of rice with peas since I'm out of it right now.  For the curried rice and the rice with peas I use chicken broth, instead of water.  I first had rice and pea years ago at the house of a woman who had a catering business and had two assistants living with her. Two women, Anna and Maria, from  the Cividale area and what I had there was risi e bisi.  Neither Anna nor Maria would  consider my rice and peas as even being remotely related to risi e bisi, and for that matter, neither would I.  I saute some onion and mushrooms and then toast the rice, add water, frozen mushrooms, and cook.  No canned peas allowed.